The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Learned the Hard Way

zackg1123

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 6, 2012
Orlando, FL
Hey fellow Fastlaners, glad to be back. I joined this community in late 2012, did nothing with it, and am back now. About me: graduated from college in 2010 with a Communications degree, and have had jobs in many different industries including hospitality, advertising, public relations, car rentals, fitness, retail, e-commerce, software, real estate, and private equity. Also had two companies. One specialized in debt consolidation for consumers, and the other was home health care. Both companies failed in under two years. After reading TMF, I know exactly why they failed. Having to go back to the corporate world to work on paying off the credit card debt incurred by these failed businesses has been difficult to say the least. Despite all that, I'm here to live the Fastlane lifestyle and provide VALUE.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2016
Hey fellow Fastlaners, glad to be back. I joined this community in late 2012, did nothing with it, and am back now. About me: graduated from college in 2010 with a Communications degree, and have had jobs in many different industries including hospitality, advertising, public relations, car rentals, fitness, retail, e-commerce, software, real estate, and private equity. Also had two companies. One specialized in debt consolidation for consumers, and the other was home health care. Both companies failed in under two years. After reading TMF, I know exactly why they failed. Having to go back to the corporate world to work on paying off the credit card debt incurred by these failed businesses has been difficult to say the least. Despite all that, I'm here to live the Fastlane lifestyle and provide VALUE.

Time is always now!

BBarakti

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
May 10, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
If you don't mind, how did your home health care company fail? I have been looking into buying a business that is already up and running. I'm coming from an industrial background, so my experience in this sector is minimal, but I'm learning quickly...or at least trying to.

Champion

Bronze Contributor
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Welcome Zack!

Sounds like u went through a lot, extremely impressive that you're not willing to give up.

You've got the fire in you and I believe that your next idea will be a big thing, im confident it will be.

Best
Champion

OP
OP
Z

zackg1123

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 6, 2012
Orlando, FL
If you don't mind, how did your home health care company fail? I have been looking into buying a business that is already up and running. I'm coming from an industrial background, so my experience in this sector is minimal, but I'm learning quickly...or at least trying to.
Hey! So I did numerous things wrong. Partnered with someone who was lazy and always had excuses to not show up. We also underestimated the amount of capital it would take to get this going. Licensing for this type of business in the state of Florida is very difficult to obtain, and takes months. You are required to pay for all that red tape, plus insurance, taxes, and all other types of expenses BEFORE YOU ARE LEGALLY allowed to market your company. Health care law is no joke, and expensive. Lastly, my sales and marketing skills were simply not good enough. I am still working on improving that area as I am not naturally gifted at sales or naturally quick on my feet. Information processes more slow for me than most people, so I take the blame.

Anyhow, none of that has discouraged me from trying again in the future. Just haven't figured out what to do yet. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Z

zackg1123

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 6, 2012
Orlando, FL
Welcome Zack!

Sounds like u went through a lot, extremely impressive that you're not willing to give up.

You've got the fire in you and I believe that your next idea will be a big thing, im confident it will be.

Best
Champion
Thank you for your kind wishes. Even though we have not met in person, any encouragement is positive reinforcement that there are people on your side, and that makes this race slightly easier. Much appreciated.

Monkeycom

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 20, 2019
UK
You come back with the most valuable asset you can have: experience. Keep working, you'll make it.
Why did your home health care didn't work out ?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
Z

zackg1123

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 6, 2012
Orlando, FL
You come back with the most valuable asset you can have: experience. Keep working, you'll make it.
Why did your home health care didn't work out ?
Poor choice in business partner, my sales and marketing skills were severely lacking, didn't have enough capital, no experience in the industry, just to name a few. I still believe in the healthcare field, because no matter what is happening in the economy, healthcare will never go away as long as the human race still exists. Same is true with animals if the veterinary field is of interest. My belief is that you don't have to be a Doctor to find success in that industry. A Doctor is one of many roles to partake in.

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
Your story is awesome Zack. So basically you have been going for years on the Fastlane. Best wish to you on your next journey. Btw I would love to read the stories about your 2 businesses in the past, there will be a lot to learn from.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom