The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just Graduated College in IT, moved back with family but it sucks - any advice?

bibbysoka

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jul 5, 2019
I just graduated college last week with a degree in IT. I am blessed and fortunate to be able to live my family rent free. It's going to save me a lot of money as well as humble me. However, my family is foreign and their control is getting annoying. Having a girlfriend has to be secret, and they're pretty controlling about when I leave the house. I do what I want anyway, but it's my goal to move out asap. I've been applying for jobs every day since I've graduated, and I'm accepting this is going to be a slow process. I'm hoping to get a job within the next 3-6 months.

I'm applying for IT careers, but have been living in my parents house doing nothing aside from job hunting, reading, and learning more programming. Should I be more grateful and just bite the bullet and live here for a couple years, or should I try to move out and work an hourly job until I get an IT job asap?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser0287

I just graduated college last week with a degree in IT. I am blessed and fortunate to be able to live my family rent free. It's going to save me a lot of money as well as humble me. However, my family is foreign and their control is getting annoying. Having a girlfriend has to be secret, and they're pretty controlling about when I leave the house. I do what I want anyway, but it's my goal to move out asap. I've been applying for jobs every day since I've graduated, and I'm accepting this is going to be a slow process. I'm hoping to get a job within the next 3-6 months.

I'm applying for IT careers, but have been living in my parents house doing nothing aside from job hunting, reading, and learning more programming. Should I be more grateful and just bite the bullet and live here for a couple years, or should I try to move out and work an hourly job until I get an IT job asap?

Spend all efforts getting that higher paying IT job. Don’t settle for those minimum wage jobs if you are worth/invested to be more.

Living with parents sucks, but good because it gives you ton of opportunity to do whatever business venture you want. Especially if capital intensive.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
If you can't find better use of your time than hourly job, than go for it (until you get the higher paying job).

You also might find some success in freelance for IT gigs on sites like Upwork.

Patrick Besong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Dec 8, 2014
Central PA
you don’t say where you live and whether you and/or your girlfriend would be willing to relocate, but doing so might get you the job you want. Check sites like monster.com. Note that with no experience you might not make much to begin with, but if you keep moving to new jobs your income will advance quicker than getting minimal raises year after year in the same job. You can negotiate a higher salary with each new job you take.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

These decisions are kind of personal.

My advice is ask you friends and family for advice and thoughts on this stuff.

I get that you are looking for help and guidance but keep in mind that me and all other people on the forum will not live with the consuquences of your personal choices.

I moved out when I was 19, as soon as I had a job as a developer + a little money saved up.
Prior to that I worked on and off as a bartender and waiter. The first time I left home for 4 months to work on a sea resort, I was 15.
Its rough at first but it gets easier with time and effort.

P.S. Here are a couple of things I wish I knew or at least I wish someone told me before moving out.

1. Buy a toolkit, screwdrivers, screws, nails and a small hammer.
2. Buy a plunger and drain cleaner.
3. Buy a good big knife and knife sharpener.
4. Buy 10kg of rice and keep it for emergencies.
5. Buy a flashlight, batteries and candles.
6. Buy bandages, active charcoals, aspirin, rubbing alcohol.

Last edited:

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I would get out of there asap too. You're too old to be controlled by your parents. I live with my family too, but I come and go as I want, and don't care about my dating life haha.

Besides apply for jobs, could you do any freelancing with your education? If not would you be willing to learn a skill that would allow you to become a freelancer, like copywriting or online marketing?

I think you should be grateful that you have a roof over your head, and have parents that care about you, but also have some respect for your self. You deserve to come and go as you please, bring back a girl to your place, and do what you want in general. I would say move in with a friend or 2 if money is tight for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.