The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it possible for very rich people to hang out with poor/working class people?

Olov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 10, 2019
The thread title might sound a bit simplified.

I myself don't care what others earn, and I don't care for expensive things just because they are expensive. I.e I couldn't care less about what type of brand a watch or car is. I'm far from shallow when it comes to people I surround myself with.

But when I think about very, very wealthy people, I wonder if it's possible for them to have a group of friends that are not. People that work in a warehouse, in telemarketing and so on.

When I say rich, I mean the ones that have so much money that they most likely would have to invest in a house that is more secure, and a car that is way above average. At least in my country, in Europe, you wouldn't be able to hide your wealth, because it's possible to see what others earn and it would be a security risk.

I know it's possible to wear sweatpants and still be a millionaire. But at least around here, people would still know that a person has that kind of wealth. He's not just rich, but he's wealthy.

And I think most people would like to buy a very nice house, a cool and fast car and maybe travel a bit more than others, if they had that kind of wealth.

So, my question is - would it actually be possible to socialize with people from the working class, when you are in this position?

You'd still share some interests, still have the same humour - but I would think that the huge difference in wealth and freedom would create a barrier between that wealthy person and the working class people. I imagine they would behave differently and feel differently, in a negative way. Either by being envious, sucking up or trying to exploit the situation in some way.

I just remember when I was around 17-18 (living in a poor area) one of my mates received an ok amount of money from the government. All of the sudden, people that we knew started calling him more and wanting to hang out with him more. It was absurd to see. The way people changed around him was crazy.

I still see the same type of behaviour as an adult, when a celebrity or a very rich person comes around. "Regular people "(I'm a "regular person", but not this kind) loses it. They change completely. Not just for a day or an hour, but for weeks and months. Any time that person is around they change their behaviour and manners.

Again, when I was a teenager I got some fame locally. I could then see how people flipped as well. My closest ones didn't (apart from a few), but people that barely said hello before, all of the sudden wanted to buy me pints, have my number and so on.

So, in general, is it possible for a filthy rich person to have a close social group that consists of working class people? I'm not talking about meeting your old friends once a year at the pub, but having regular meet-up with the lads.

Note: I'm not rich and I have a working class background. So this is not meant to bash on anyone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Good question. With the right people, it's possible. The rich person and the working class people have to put money on the side and just see that we're all human.

A have a little older friend who perfected your topic. He retired with 23 or 24 but he is just like anyone else.

But I wouldn't recommend trying to be that guy. It's difficult and people with a similar mindset can help you improve.

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
A dating book I read a long time ago said if you want to meet a doctor then hang out where the doctors do after they get off work.. the bar next door or what ever. So find out where the "rich" people hang out and go there. Some of them are on boards of non-profits. It's really just networking.

Goldfels

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Oct 29, 2020
They're still people at the end of the day. As long as you share something in common with them, there is a potential connection.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am going to argue that it is certainly possible, but unlikely. Studies flat out prove a canyon of belief system divide between the rich and the poor.

The problem is MINDSET... NOT MONEY.

The vast majority of the poor believe that wealth means you are lucky.

The majority of the poor believe that if it wasn't luck, it was dishonesty.

The poor believe that the rich should pay higher taxes.

The rich and the poor are interested in vastly different activities and lifestyles.

The rich adopt healthy habits more often then the poor.

The rich are disciplined and the poor are not.

The rich persue goals and the poor do not.

The rich are educated (whether self or traditionally) and the poor put less emphasis on becoming smarter.

Their ideas of a good time are vastly different.

They raise their families in vastly different ways.

They have differing hobbies.

The poor often are hostile of the rich.

The rich have an internal locus and the poor have an external locus of control.

All of this said, I have never met someone that was both happy to be poor and wanted to be friends with me. I don't blame them, because the feeling is mutual. I choose friends I can respect.

This is all notwithstanding the bootstrapping entrepreneurial minded person that is interested in and making the choices that make one wealthy, but isn't there yet. Those people already have the mindset that creates this divide.

I am not one to exclude someone because of how much money they have, but for me to put effort into a friendship with someone, I need to have respect for them in some way. It is the way I am wired. I can't force myself to like someone that makes repeatedly stupid choices and lives the life of a loser.

When you realize it is a choice, it is not a surprise why friend groups reflect similar socioeconomic and political backgrounds.

Bottom line. Choose your friend circle carefully. They can bring you up or bring you down.

Last edited:
D

Deleted50669

I am going to argue that it is certainly possible, but unlikely. Studies flat out prove a canyon of belief system divide between the rich and the poor.

The vast majority of the poor believe that wealth means you are lucky.

The majority of the poor believe that if it wasn't luck it was dishonesty.

The poor believe that the rich should pay higher taxes.

The rich and the poor are interested in vastly different activities and lifestyles.

The rich adopt healthy habits more often then the poor.

The rich are disciplined and the poor are not.

The rich persue goals and the poor do not.

The rich are educated (whether self or traditionally) and the poor put less emphasis on becoming smarter.

Their ideas of a good time are vastly different.

They raise their families in vastly different ways.

They have differing hobbies.

The poor often are hostile of the rich.

The rich have an internal locus and the poor have an external locus of control.

All of this said, I have never met someone that was both happy to be poor and wanted to be friends with me. I don't blame them, because the feeling is mutual. I choose friends I can respect.

This is all notwithstanding the bootstrapping entrepreneurial minded person that is interested in and making the choices that make one wealthy, but isn't there yet. Those people already have the mindset that creates this divide.

I am not one to exclude someone because of how much money they have, but for me to put effort into a friendship with someone, I need to have respect for them in some way. It is the way I am wired. I can't force myself to like someone that makes repeatedly stupid choices and lives the life of a loser.

When you realize it is a choice, it is not a surprise why friend groups reflect similar socioeconomic and political backgrounds.

Bottom line. Choose your friend circle carefully. They can bring you up or bring you down.

This is so true. I am a loner because I cut out the negative people in my life, but have yet to break in with positive, goal-oriented crowds. I'd rather be a loner than awash in complacency and mediocrity, though.

WabiSabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 2, 2019
Katy, Texas
I don't really care how much money someone has, fortunes are made and lost all the time. I care more about their beliefs and values, certain beliefs attract wealth (monetary and otherwise).

Trust me, you can't be friends with side walkers. They will drag you down if you don't cut them out of your life.

Inkatha

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
340%
Nov 9, 2020
I've certainly seen it happen. Usually in settings that allow the poor and rich to have something in common, like religion. You'll find plenty of rich\poor people coexisting in churches, mosques, and synagogues throughout the United States.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

I myself don't care what others earn, and I don't care for expensive things just because they are expensive. I.e I couldn't care less about what type of brand a watch or car is. I'm far from shallow when it comes to people I surround myself with.

But when I think about very, very wealthy people, I wonder if it's possible for them to have a group of friends that are not. People that work in a warehouse, in telemarketing and so on.

When I say rich, I mean the ones that have so much money that they most likely would have to invest in a house that is more secure, and a car that is way above average. At least in my country, in Europe, you wouldn't be able to hide your wealth, because it's possible to see what others earn and it would be a security risk.

I know it's possible to wear sweatpants and still be a millionaire. But at least around here, people would still know that a person has that kind of wealth. He's not just rich, but he's wealthy.

And I think most people would like to buy a very nice house, a cool and fast car and maybe travel a bit more than others, if they had that kind of wealth.

So, my question is - would it actually be possible to socialize with people from the working class, when you are in this position?

You'd still share some interests, still have the same humour - but I would think that the huge difference in wealth and freedom would create a barrier between that wealthy person and the working class people. I imagine they would behave differently and feel differently, in a negative way. Either by being envious, sucking up or trying to exploit the situation in some way.

I just remember when I was around 17-18 (living in a poor area) one of my mates received an ok amount of money from the government. All of the sudden, people that we knew started calling him more and wanting to hang out with him more. It was absurd to see. The way people changed around him was crazy.

I still see the same type of behaviour as an adult, when a celebrity or a very rich person comes around. "Regular people "(I'm a "regular person", but not this kind) loses it. They change completely. Not just for a day or an hour, but for weeks and months. Any time that person is around they change their behaviour and manners.

Again, when I was a teenager I got some fame locally. I could then see how people flipped as well. My closest ones didn't (apart from a few), but people that barely said hello before, all of the sudden wanted to buy me pints, have my number and so on.

So, in general, is it possible for a filthy rich person to have a close social group that consists of working class people? I'm not talking about meeting your old friends once a year at the pub, but having regular meet-up with the lads.

Note: I'm not rich and I have a working class background. So this is not meant to bash on anyone.
It is a good question. I've seen both sides of the question over the years. It's really all in one's point of view... more than the amount of money in your pocketbook. A lot of this is a question of class and background. The person who goes to the private prep school and then on the ivy league schools sees the world differently from the guy who grew up running the ghetto. Two people can see the same thing or situation totally differently, depending on their frame of reference.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
This reminds me of a funny quote by Trump. Take it for what it as I suppose. :rofl:

"Successful people love losers. Some of my best friends are losers. I go out with successful people and I come home with a headache. We’re all sitting around talking about ourselves, ‘I did this, I did that.’ If you go out with a loser, you can talk all night, go home feeling fantastic and go to sleep."

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
After what @Kak said.... man...I think you can just close the thread.

I am friends with a guy who took his company public recently.
He's the nicest guy in the world, and even though he has 10000x the wealth I do, we can sit and talk for hours and hours.

But, he also doesn't suffer fools.
If you aren't on point in life, he won't make time for you.
Doesn't mean you need to be rich, but you need to be smart, clever, working on something big, passionate.
You need to have energy to live life, and make cool things happen.

Then it doesn't matter if you're worth $10k or $10M to him, he'll share all his knowledge and information.
But, if you are a complainer, or blamer, or whatever.
He'll smile, but, he'll also move on quickly.

I respect the hell out of this guy, but our mindsets match up. So, it makes sense in a way.

--
I'll add this, when I started my business, I was 22 years old. I didn't know *anything* (still don't, but that's a different thread).
I had customers who were very wealthy, and I slept at work sometimes.... getting paid $0 to $500/month.

And they loved chatting with me.
They loved talking about the hustle and grind, giving me encouragement.

I learned so much from people so much more successful than I was.
I had an open mind, I wasn't jealous, I tried hard to shut up and listen.
And, even to today, it motivates me to keep grinding, keep growing, keep pushing.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This reminds me of a funny quote by Trump. Take it for what it as I suppose. :rofl:

"Successful people love losers. Some of my best friends are losers. I go out with successful people and I come home with a headache. We’re all sitting around talking about ourselves, ‘I did this, I did that.’ If you go out with a loser, you can talk all night, go home feeling fantastic and go to sleep."
People's favorite subject is themselves...

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Oct 5, 2018
There's this rich guy in my hometown, who hangs out with regular guys - just drinking vodka and bsing around :D

He has a working-class background, and the industry he's in deals with tough, roughneck type workers, who perform hardcore manual labor type of work.

He's a regular dude, doing regular dude things (except for the occasional traveling). It's almost as if he has built a system and he's just using it to make a ton of cash, without identifying as some kind of high-class ''mindsetist''. In a sense, he's the same as he was when he was just another worker.

So of course it's possible - it just depends on what kind of crowds the rich person prefers - if he's fine talking about basic shit, without discussing any intellectual/deep/financial topics, he'll do just fine with less wealthy as long as these people are not leeches.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
Read the title & thought: Of course! Over the years I've become friends with a bunch of wealthy people despite having been the proverbial "starving artist".

Then I read you thread & saw what you mean.

Kak has it exactly:

I thought about where I'd met the wealthy people I do know, & the first answer that came to mind was economics lectures - typically with a pro-capitalism/free market stance. So not only was there some shared views, but the kind of people that go to economics lectures for funsies are an unusual self-selecting group too.

I still see the same type of behaviour as an adult, when a celebrity or a very rich person comes around. "Regular people "(I'm a "regular person", but not this kind) loses it.

^ Here you are instinctively understanding the difference - you're a self-proclaimed "regular person" but not that kind.

Is it possible for YOU to become friends with the rich, whatever your background - I'd say yes, the fact that you're here (wanting to learn & not just straight up hating or trolling of course) means it's likely. In the general population though, of course it's more unusual, cos some will be like you, & some won't.

Basically my experience bears out everything WestCoast said:

After what @Kak said.... man...I think you can just close the thread.

I am friends with a guy who took his company public recently.
He's the nicest guy in the world, and even though he has 10000x the wealth I do, we can sit and talk for hours and hours.

But, he also doesn't suffer fools.
If you aren't on point in life, he won't make time for you.
Doesn't mean you need to be rich, but you need to be smart, clever, working on something big, passionate.
You need to have energy to live life, and make cool things happen.

Then it doesn't matter if you're worth $10k or $10M to him, he'll share all his knowledge and information.
But, if you are a complainer, or blamer, or whatever.
He'll smile, but, he'll also move on quickly.

I respect the hell out of this guy, but our mindsets match up. So, it makes sense in a way.

--
I'll add this, when I started my business, I was 22 years old. I didn't know *anything* (still don't, but that's a different thread).
I had customers who were very wealthy, and I slept at work sometimes.... getting paid $0 to $500/month.

And they loved chatting with me.
They loved talking about the hustle and grind, giving me encouragement.

I learned so much from people so much more successful than I was.
I had an open mind, I wasn't jealous, I tried hard to shut up and listen.
And, even to today, it motivates me to keep grinding, keep growing, keep pushing.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
Around here (small-ish town in the UK) I think it would be difficult to know how wealthy someone is. Plenty of wealthy people drive old cars, dress down to suit wherever they're going, and don't stand out, though the national lottery has produced plenty of winners who are completely the opposite of that, for a short time. And plenty of people drive expensive cars (on finance plans), have flashy houses (compared to the average, on large mortgages) and it's all fine until they suffer a few low months, and then it all comes tumbling down. And, of course, being British we don't talk about stuff like money, feelings and so on. Maybe it's different in the cities, or with a wider circle of friends / acquaintances.

Unfortunately it does seem (from my very limited perspective) that friendships between the very wealthy and the very poor are unusual enough to be remarked upon. And I could see that with the wrong mind-set (especially on the part of the less wealthy person in the relationship) it could go quite sour very quickly.

Some of the points raised by @Kak are spot-on, and it's a pity really. I have encountered quite a few people whose progress and potential is limited because they tell themselves that it's limited. Jealousy because a co-worker gets paid more, or gets more holiday, and a firm belief that they themselves "can't do that", without taking into account _why_ the co-worker gets a better deal.

For me, that's a reason to try to do better, but others see it as a reason to get frustrated and perhaps resentful. If I'm chatting to someone who has driven to the pub in their new Porsche and is intending to spend the summer in Ibiza*, I try very hard (and don't always succeed) to concentrate on trying to think of a way to be able to do the same**, rather than thinking about how irritating it is that they can do that and I can't. I don't always succeed in that thinking, of course, although sometimes that's because the way it's been casually dropped into the conversation just makes them annoying.

(* I should add, in case he's reading, that the person in question did nothing annoying, no bragging of any kind, but is the only person I've encountered that had the trappings of being above the average wealth for the place we were standing in.)

(** Be able to, not actually do. To me, if you have an option to spend six months of the year somewhere warm and sunny, you'd do that when it's cold and rainy "back home", like in winter, not when there's a reasonable chance that "back home" will be just as sunny and warm. But it's about being able to.)

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
It's possible but unlikely. What will you have in common with each other?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

In theory yes. As long as you can provide value and be useful.

Rich people hang out with rich people not because they want to be with “equals” but more often than not it is because there is networking value to help then solves their problems and become even be richer. Think about a bunch of businessmen attending a mba course. It is not about learning but more about knowing the people.

It is about what resources you have at hand and what you offer to solve their dire needs or interest. And yes you do not have to be rich.

One of the easy entry point is offer digital assistance to small business operated by baby boomers. That is the fastest way you can build relationship with a niche of rich people. Helping the Uncle Goldbug to open a Binance account also counts.

You actually do have something that rich people do not have and are willing to learn. Helping people to make more money is coming from a position of strength that will pull people into you. No body thinks they have enough money.

There is a generational wealth gap that exists and also a generational skill gap that exists. You may be surprised that some rich people will be grateful to you for doing what any 16 year old could do.

Last edited:

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK

Rich people hang out with rich people not because they want to be with “equals” but more often than not it is because there is networking value to help then solves their problems and become even be richer. Think about a bunch of businessmen attending a mba course. It is not about learning but more about knowing the people.

It is about what resources you have at hand and what you offer to solve their dire needs or interest. And yes you do not have to be rich.

One of the easy entry point is offer digital assistance to small business operated by baby boomers. That is the fastest way you can build relationship with a niche of rich people. Helping the Uncle Goldbug to open a Binance account also counts.

You actually do have something that rich people do not have and are willing to learn. Helping people to make more money is coming from a position of strength that will pull people into you. No body thinks they have enough money.

There is a generational wealth gap that exists and also a generational skill gap that exists. You may be surprised that some rich people will be grateful to you for doing what any 16 year old could do.

"That is the fastest way you can build relationship with a niche of rich people." - I think it depends on what sort of 'rich people' we're talking about, and the culture in question. Getting to hang out with a self-made person might be one thing but would they have 'wealth' at the level the OP was talking about? In the US maybe.

It's different here in England. That sort of wealth is only really seen, I think, in foreigners (Russians and Asians mostly) or very old established families. In the case of the latter, unless you are born into the same strata as them, you will always just be the hired-help for as long you are useful. You're unlikely ever to be able to 'hang out' as an equal.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
It's fascinating to see the different opinions here!

From my experience it's broken down into 3 categories:

1. The people getting by.
2. The people who *think* they have money.
3. The people who *actually* have money.

I think "the rich are assholes" type of sayings usually come from that middle section. sMaybe they have a decent net worth. A million or two. Maybe they have a business pulling in a couple million a year and they think they are hot shit.

Most business owners know though that if you're doing a couple million in revenue in business, usually you're just getting started. That doesn't mean you have a couple million in the bank account. It means you're probably paying yourself a 100-200k/year and have more headaches (**gross generalization).

The people that I've met who have *real* money -- I'm talking hundreds of millions. They are the coolest, nicest, most down to earth people I've ever met.

I don't think you can get to that level without being really good at dealing with people (in one way, shape, or form).

I've had the chance to spend some real time with a couple of these guys and they could care less what you wear, your education, your background -- they only care about your character.

I'm certainly not at that level yet ...but even with my current position I rarely get the chance to meet people who don't want something from me/have an ulterior motive.

I can imagine it'll only get worse. And I can also imagine how nice it would feel to just sit down with someone for a meal or a drink and talk about boring every day things for once and shoot the shit.

... now writing this I can think of half a dozen examples of people from both those "categories" I made up and every single person who *actually* have money were so nice and kind and cool. Annnnnd I can think of a couple who were just assholes in that other category.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
"That is the fastest way you can build relationship with a niche of rich people." - I think it depends on what sort of 'rich people' we're talking about, and the culture in question. Getting to hang out with a self-made person might be one thing but would they have 'wealth' at the level the OP was talking about? In the US maybe.

It's different here in England. That sort of wealth is only really seen, I think, in foreigners (Russians and Asians mostly) or very old established families. In the case of the latter, unless you are born into the same strata as them, you will always just be the hired-help for as long you are useful. You're unlikely ever to be able to 'hang out' as an equal.
Yes. If some people think they are aristocrats then it wont be easy to get near to. I understand some countries have a culture of class divide.

It depends on what you want. It is always easier to just establishment contact and get trust, by being useful and offering help. I don’t have to make sure I am seen “as equal” in the subconscious of their mind. It is more about then being to reciprocate and let you tapping into their network and resources.

Just think about the Russian and Asian in your country. They need people who understand local law and finance. They want their children to have local friends and integrate into the country. Not easy to have trusted friends in a new place unless they have been in the place for many many years.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's fascinating to see the different opinions here!

From my experience it's broken down into 3 categories:

1. The people getting by.
2. The people who *think* they have money.
3. The people who *actually* have money.

I think "the rich are assholes" type of sayings usually come from that middle section. sMaybe they have a decent net worth. A million or two. Maybe they have a business pulling in a couple million a year and they think they are hot shit.

Most business owners know though that if you're doing a couple million in revenue in business, usually you're just getting started. That doesn't mean you have a couple million in the bank account. It means you're probably paying yourself a 100-200k/year and have more headaches (**gross generalization).

The people that I've met who have *real* money -- I'm talking hundreds of millions. They are the coolest, nicest, most down to earth people I've ever met.

I don't think you can get to that level without being really good at dealing with people (in one way, shape, or form).

I've had the chance to spend some real time with a couple of these guys and they could care less what you wear, your education, your background -- they only care about your character.

I'm certainly not at that level yet ...but even with my current position I rarely get the chance to meet people who don't want something from me/have an ulterior motive.

I can imagine it'll only get worse. And I can also imagine how nice it would feel to just sit down with someone for a meal or a drink and talk about boring every day things for once and shoot the shit.

... now writing this I can think of half a dozen examples of people from both those "categories" I made up and every single person who *actually* have money were so nice and kind and cool. Annnnnd I can think of a couple who were just assholes in that other category.
I agree with this. The people I know that have made a pile of money are the easiest-going, friendliest, most encouraging, talk about anything kind of people. Its interesting, though, that when you get them into their area of expertise, they're incredibly sharp. They cut straight to the key points, can spot BS a mile away, know what they like, ask insightful questions, etc. They also spend money wisely. They'll not hesitate to spend large sums when it makes sense, but they'll also question a $30/month add-on charge when it doesn't make sense.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
I think it's possible. Lot's of us wouldn't be where we are today if it weren't from someone up top reaching down and pulling us up kinda like what my mentors in lead generation have done for me. But you must also be careful as to not let them influence you negatively. You become who you hang around most.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Well, in my experience currently being a working class person, I would say that most working class and poor people have very different goals and world views than the wealthy do.

I've worked at places like restaurants and warehouses, and I've been able to compare and contrast the mindsets I see at those jobs vs the ones I see here.

In general, people who work at those jobs talk about things like getting a stable job, 401k, health insurance, stable income, maybe getting a promotion, and buying things like a new car and a home. Another thing i've noticed is that a lot of people i've worked with are almost always high, and spend their free time drinking, doing drugs for recreation, and playing video games and consuming entertainment.

In general, entrepreneurial people talk about opportunities, how they can solve problems, how they can serve their customers, investing their money in a business, Networking, and longer term visions.

One isn't better than the other, they're just different mindsets. But these ideas are somewhat incompatible. If you were to tell the average person to invest their money into a business, They would tell you it's too risky, and they won't have any health insurance. They won't listen, they won't understand, or they wouldn't see the long term vision.

Neither person, therefore, has much in common with the other, aside from hobbies potentially. For example, people who are into cars. I've seen guys with Bugattis, Paganis, and extremely expensive hypercars talk to people who owned a modified Camaro and made under $100k a year. Maybe their views on money and work are different, but they can still relate through a common interest.

Long story short: I don't think wealthy and working class people will intermingle much, unless they have common interests and hobbies.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Yes, if the rich person isn’t a douche about it and the working class person isn’t too consumed with envy.

Takes two people to form any kind of human relationship. All you can do is be the giver, and see if the other person meets you in the middle.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015

It depends on the person. When I had nothing I used to occasionally drink beer and go fishing with a couple older guys with considerable wealth. We just got along well, and money didn't come into it.

Basically, if everybody is cool, then no, it doesn't matter. IF not, then sure, but who wants to hang out with people like that anyway

D

Deleted78083

Sociologically it's unlikely.

People hang out with similar people because humans bond over shared experiences.

This is why it is not surprising to see that successful people knew successful people before they became successful. What is alike attracts each other.

This is also why you lose most of your friends when you start personal development and are getting results. Your friends won't like new you as you won't be able to relate to each other anymore.

Mediocrity lives among mediocrity. Wealth lives among wealth. Success lives among success.

Since success is rarer than mediocrity, successful people (especially artists) will often tell you how lonely they feel. There aren't many people they can relate to. And the more successful, the lonelier.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.