The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to exit my Shopify app. Follow my weekly updates.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ziggizoezion

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
May 31, 2021
After 10 years (!) of my first post on this forum (read my intro), I'm back on my business journey.

As the title says, I created a SaaS some years ago that didn't get much traction with the market segment I was targeting at the time. I got a handful of clients but was challenging keeping them long-term. Over time all of them ended up not renewing their subscription.

I thought this could be a good opportunity to target the e-commerce space, and Shopify looked like the best place to offer the product:

- Merchants are used to paying for apps
- There are competitors in my category, which means people is already paying for solutions like mine
- I work as a Shopify Developer for small and big stores, and all of them are using a competitor app
- My co-founder (he joined me in 2019) is a marketing expert and works for a company that acquires SaaS companies

Why is my goal to sell my software?
Well, although there is still a (growing) need for this product, it's been years since I have this project running but with the constant financial pressure to make ends meet I always ended up overloaded with freelance projects.

Last year I decided to specialize in Shopify Development and raised my hourly fees significantly. This helped me to get hired by a multi-million Shopify merchant where I can work 3-5 hours per day.

That's enough to cover my expenses and have more time (and mental capacity) to make this project work.

In summary, this is where I'm at now:
  • MRR: $0 (LOL)
  • Expenses: $15/mo
    • DigitalOcean (servers): $10
    • Tutanota (email service): $5
  • The app is not listed/public yet (rejected a couple of times because of some stupid non-sense reasons given by the reviewer)

By the way, here's a great thread by @jakobgreenfeld about finding opportunities in the Shopify space:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ziggizoezion

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
May 31, 2021
Some things I learned along the way

- Nobody cares about what framework or language my product was built with. My focus should be on providing value and getting paid for that.

tweet.png

- Launch ASAP, improve as I go. Again, the important is providing value to my customers, they won't care (much) about a shitty design if the product does what it says. I learned this from a company I worked with a couple of years ago. It had an interface with a 90's vibe, but the founder was making $50k/mo.

- Great customer service goes a long way. Especially in the software space where practically anyone can build an app these days even without knowing a single thing about programming.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.