The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I could use some advice on this idea - Instant Finger-nail color changer

Idea threads

Willing2Learn

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 25, 2017
United States
About a month ago, I put up three surveys on Reddit, using Google Forms. The surveys were for three different product ideas, and to see if there was any market interest in them. Only one of those surveys showed some potential desire for the product. I even made a reference to this idea in one of my first threads. However, the total number of responses for these surveys was very low (36, 30, and 22 respectively). However, I've been fighting procrastination, and I am determined to do things. Even if those responses weren't that great, I had to get my feet wet somehow. In other words, I had to start somewhere.

Over the last few days, I've been using the Google Adwords Keyword Planner to document all of the search keywords that people use, and I've got a lot of data, and a general idea of what people want. And yesterday, after getting done with all of the reading that I felt was necessary, I finally got my a$$ down to the bookstore, and was writing down more notes in my notebook, and took out a few books (Accounting, Bookkeeping, Programming iOS Apps).

Anyway, this idea I want to pursue. I believe there is defintely some interest in it. Here it is (or you can see the survey for yourself here: Instant finger nail color changer):

It is basicallly acrylic nails that you put on your fingers, and you use a stylus to change the color of the nails instantly, much like in the movie Total Recall (1990 version).

YouTubing this nail color changer, there are people that have done similiar things with it, one very impressive, using a polish and different water temperatures to instantly change the color of the nail.

My idea was, based on what someone else mentioned, was to use an acrylic nail, cover it with e-paper, and have a stylus, when small pressure is applied to the nail, it instantly changes color.

The results of the survey:

8 said Yes (36.4%)
7 said No (31.8%)
7 said Maybe (31.8%)

If those 'Maybe's became 'Yes's:

15 said Yes (68.2%)
7 said No (31.8%)

My problem is, I feel like this whole endeavor is too big for me. And I know what some would say. He's procrastinating, or he's making excuses. That is certainly not the case.

There is a site where I could purchase some E-paper (Flexible Oled - Buy Flexible Oled,Oled Flexible Product on Alibaba.com), but I don't know how'd I shrink that e-paper down to finger-nail size without ruining the electrical components that comprise it. And then comes the battery/electrical/programming side of it, which I'm clueless about, and I'm not confident in my ability to pull this off. Yes, I can do the dirty work and have as much patience as possible, and figure out how all of this stuff works.

My questions are:

Am I way in over my head?

Am I tackling too much on for my first entrepreneurial endeavor?

Or is this something that you guys believe I could truly do? (I know what you're going to say, it's not if you guys believe I can do it, but that I believe I can do it).

Do you think this idea is something worth pursuing?

I haven't fully signed up on Google Adwords (where you give them your billing information), because I don't have a lot of money at the moment to spend on having people click my ads for a website I don't even have yet.

But I've been using pages 316 to 318 of Unscripted , to help me in my Market Testing. I want to see if there is a demand for something before I get to work on it, because I don't want to waste my time.

Last night, I was doing Channel Research (through Amazon), comparing the Best Sellers Rank on things, and one of the next things I'm considering doing is making a website with Wordpress (Soft Proof Market Simulation: Landing Page) and making a fake product to see if people like it.

When doing the Landing Page, is it imperative that I use the Ads service from Google Adwords?

Excuse making, procrastination. These are two things I am unwilling to entertain. I've been determined at every cost to break those two things. I've been doing so for quite a while now. On my days off, I don't watch TV, movies. All I do is eat, sleep, use the bathroom, and when I'm not doing those things, I'm either reading are doing whatever I can to get the ball rolling on something...

So, I could use some advice from you guys. Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alexo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 1, 2016
Why do you think it is too big for you? If you are not sure or hesitating, maybe it is a good idea to do a bit more research on the kind of value you can provide and demand you could expect for this idea and also whether you could make money.

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know tech, but your idea has a few challenges
1) power source
2) and more importantly, if you are going to wear acrylic nails, why not just switch em and save on cost of a much more expensive version that essentially does the same thing (except instantly)​

Also, surveys like that aren't likely to product accurate results. You're trying to predict future behavior based on, "would you buy this if it were available". Lots of people will say "yes" or "no" because there's nothing to lose.
"yes" because they don't actually have to put up the money.
"no" because they know they don't actually lose a chance to buy a nonexistent product so they can troll or whatever.​

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
2) and more importantly, if you are going to wear acrylic nails, why not just switch em and save on cost of a much more expensive version that essentially does the same thing (except instantly)​

Since when are beauty products about logic?​

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
Since when are acrylic nails considered beauty products?
I'm being facetious, but acrylic nails, far as I know, are kinda looked down upon in that industry. They aren't comfortable, they fall off, they are expensive to keep up, and most importantly, they look fake.

Willing2Learn

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 25, 2017
United States
Why do you think it is too big for you? If you are not sure or hesitating, maybe it is a good idea to do a bit more research on the kind of value you can provide and demand you could expect for this idea and also whether you could make money.
Just a lot of variables that's all. This is definitely no small task.

I don't know tech, but your idea has a few challenges
1) power source

It's more than just the power source though. There's programming involved too. Applying pressure with the stylus or having the stylus wirelessly cycle the nail color definitely involves some kind of programming.

I clearly have a lot of homework to do.

Thank you guys for your feedback. I appreciate it.

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
@Willing2Learn if you feel like you have a lot to do at this point... I'd consider backing off.

Can you apply the e-paper instant color change to a different product more readily? Like phone cases (built in power supply and potentially access to the software of the phone).

"Instantaneously switch the design of your phone case!"
Repeat purchases through the app of other "insta designs".

Willing2Learn

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 25, 2017
United States
@Willing2Learn if you feel like you have a lot to do at this point... I'd consider backing off.

Can you apply the e-paper instant color change to a different product more readily? Like phone cases (built in power supply and potentially access to the software of the phone).

I don't know. E-paper is expensive, and from what I've seen, it comes in pre-set sizes. There is clearly computer chip technology underneath the e-paper, giving it its capabilities. I'm not sure if it can be trimmed down, without destroying the whole thing. But I like the idea you have about trying the e-paper with something else.

But can you be more specific as to why you would suggest backing off? I know there is a ton of work involved, but isn't that the point? To do what no one else will do? To learn all of the different components, put the time in, and try to produce a product that many people may want?

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know. E-paper is expensive, and from what I've seen, it comes in pre-set sizes. There is clearly computer chip technology underneath the e-paper, giving it its capabilities. I'm not sure if it can be trimmed down, without destroying the whole thing. But I like the idea you have about trying the e-paper with something else.

But can you be more specific as to why you would suggest backing off? I know there is a ton of work involved, but isn't that the point? To do what no one else will do? To learn all of the different components, put the time in, and try to produce a product that many people may want?

To be completely honest, I don't see the vision yet. Too many unanswered questions in my opinion for you to be worrying about the tech behind embedding e paper into acrylic nails.

However, if you're committed, you can still dive in and pivot when necessary.

I like the attitude of being willing to the do the hard thing because it follows the commandment of "Difficulty of Entry". But difficult doesn't by itself make it fastlane or marketable.

Willing2Learn

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 25, 2017
United States
I understand. And thanks for your input. I should probably do a little more market research before being fully committed to this.

I'm just trying to do the best that I can.

Thank you for your time. :)

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I appreciate that you're thinking big, that's awesome and we should all encourage it.

But we are also here to splash some cold water on peoples' faces.

As a first venture, this is an uphill death march. It's not impossible, but it's not just a business challenge. It's also an engineering challenge.

There's nothing to say that you wouldn't succeed, but you should go into it with eyes wide open. You've only scratched the surface of the engineering challenges ( did you think about how you'll keep it from looking washed out in the sun? ) and it's apparent you haven't quite nailed down the target market - i.e.you also have significant marketing challenges.

Steel your heart, for it's a long and difficult road ahead. The reward is certainly handsome, but it will come at great cost of time, energy, and pain.

Puppy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 21, 2017
new york
About a month ago, I put up three surveys on Reddit, using Google Forms.
8 said Yes (36.4%)
7 said No (31.8%)
7 said Maybe (31.8%)

If those 'Maybe's became 'Yes's:

15 said Yes (68.2%)
7 said No (31.8%)
Mistake #1 - don't give maybe an option.
Mistake #2 - don't even think about making those maybes mean yes.
Mistake #3 - you didn't ask the right people. Ask in an acrylic nail forum.

LISTEN TO THIS GUY!!! Seriously THIS is spot on.

No where in your post did you mention any sort of research into your intended market demographic. So here's a heads up.

Women who wear acrylics would probably LOVE the concept. But it appears you have very little knowledge of the nail world and the women that inhabit it. To put it simply, they can and will be SAVAGE. In fact, they pride themselves on it. You fail to deliver on point they will murder you and your product. If you don't know what 'on point' means that's clue number one you are out of your league.

You also have 3 REALLY big hurdles.
  1. You are admittedly clueless in how to shrink it down/make it work.
  2. Nails need to last AND perform for at least 2 weeks or it will FAIL with your target market.
  3. It sounds like it will be really expensive. Can you compete price wise? If it's gonna cost the consumer more then 100.00 then its a def no go.

Don't get me wrong, its a super cool idea but YES! you are in way over your head.

Start with cellphone cases. Get some experience using this epaper stuff. And for gods sake go visit forums dedicated to the product you want to launch and observe/interact directly with your intended consumer.

P.s. with the new total recall movie I do think you could have great luck with the cellphone case idea. Those nail girls will slaughter you tho.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Kickstarter. Make a 'larger than life' prototype. Write good copy. Promote.

Fail miserably and learn a shit ton. Pivot.

There are countless stories of an inventor trying to make ______ and inventing _______ .

TheFitVegan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jun 22, 2020
United States
I too do consider Acrylic Nails as a part of beauty industry (As it has been a beauty product to be worn occasionally) - About your entrepreneurship venture, it is quite a good idea, because people are actually looking for some really good version of acrylic nails that doesn't come out immediately and look genuine.
You can go for an organic product in it, or can also go for a vegan version and then later extend your product line to other nail products like vegan nail polishes.
I recommend vegan products as market is growing therein and competition is quite less comparatively - you can also check out some really good vegan nail polishes brands for reference. All the bests for your venture - do share your products with us!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.