The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO I’m 34 years old, and I’ve been living with my parents for the past two years.

Strategery

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 25, 2019
I’m 34 years old, and I’ve been living with my parents for the past two years. I moved back in with the hopes of saving money while going to school for data science, which I’ve since become very disillusioned with and quit. Why did I become disillusioned?

Well, several months ago on a vacation I read Tim Ferriss’ book, The 4-hour Workweek, which made me first realize that there is life outside of scripted misery. The only reason I wanted the degree in the first place was to escape my family’s business and get some other job, but now I realize that a different kind of freedom, true F*ck-you-freedom, exists.

I’ve whittled away at business ideas for months now trying to find my “muse,” with no luck whatsoever. It wasn’t until reading Demarco’s books that I realized the problem…

I’ve been looking for easy. I’ve been selfish. True value is what I want to create now, and that’s why I’m here.

I was skeptical of the forum before reading, thinking that contributors were going to try to talk me into selling steak knives or some bullshit, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised after lurking for a bit by the community and MJ’s involvement.

Anywho, I’m glad to be here and hope to meet and be inspired by like-minded people on my search for value, freedom and Lamborghini’s. Cheers.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I was skeptical of the forum before reading, thinking that contributors were going to try to talk me into selling steak knives or some bullshit
Ha Ha, sounds like you've been other places. There's some selling at the forum, but it's mostly confined to the marketplace and in a few signatures. Other than that, we try to keep the spam and self-promotion to a minimum.
Glad you given us a chance and you liked what the forum is about.

Welcome my friend.

reedracer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Well met, sounds like you are heading toward the right mindset!

dani710networker

New Contributor
Jun 26, 2019
I’m 34 years old, and I’ve been living with my parents for the past two years. I moved back in with the hopes of saving money while going to school for data science, which I’ve since become very disillusioned with and quit. Why did I become disillusioned?

Well, several months ago on a vacation I read Tim Ferriss’ book, The 4-hour Workweek, which made me first realize that there is life outside of scripted misery. The only reason I wanted the degree in the first place was to escape my family’s business and get some other job, but now I realize that a different kind of freedom, true F*ck-you-freedom, exists.

I’ve whittled away at business ideas for months now trying to find my “muse,” with no luck whatsoever. It wasn’t until reading Demarco’s books that I realized the problem…

I’ve been looking for easy. I’ve been selfish. True value is what I want to create now, and that’s why I’m here.

I was skeptical of the forum before reading, thinking that contributors were going to try to talk me into selling steak knives or some bullshit, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised after lurking for a bit by the community and MJ’s involvement.

Anywho, I’m glad to be here and hope to meet and be inspired by like-minded people on my search for value, freedom and Lamborghini’s. Cheers.
Hello men, look a degree is not bad at all, if the degree didnt exist well you will never got a good doctor, or a mechanic or even electricity in your home, it is simple, to you to me and to many any the way of the degree is not the way we want, therefore, come on men yo can´t do it because you must do it, taked and reach your goals, alway keep you mind in your goals and you will reach the life you want to live buddy, have a great day. And jus do it greetings.

OP
OP
S

Strategery

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 25, 2019
Ha Ha, sounds like you've been other places. There's some selling at the forum, but it's mostly confined to the marketplace and in a few signatures. Other than that, we try to keep the spam and self-promotion to a minimum.
Glad you given us a chance and you liked what the forum is about.

Welcome my friend.
This really means a lot, thank you for the welcome, the forum and the books.

Rabby

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Welcome? Out of curiosity, why do you want to escape the family business, as opposed to automating and improving it?

WellWallet

Contributor
Mar 6, 2019
Welcome and totally with you, man! There are so many different paths to freedom and it's about finding the best and shortest one for you... that may or may not include a degree. Looking forward to following your progress!

OP
OP
S

Strategery

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 25, 2019
Welcome? Out of curiosity, why do you want to escape the family business, as opposed to automating and improving it?
I've thought about this quite a bit, and I struggle to see it as a viable option.

I don't really feel like I'm creating anything that will satisfy me by doing that. I would like my own business, started under my own steam.

Also, I got along better with my dad and brother when we weren't working together. We've had a lot of bad, blow-up arguments over silly shit in the business, and I'd like to at least confine our arguments to Thanksgiving and Christmas, like normal people.

Rabby

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Fair enough. Maybe knowing something about their business will give you a viable B2B idea that you can test out. Things they struggle with, or things you think could be better, sans the emotional investments people have in being right. Good luck :)

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I don't really feel like I'm creating anything that will satisfy me by doing that. I would like my own business, started under my own steam.
Anything in your family's business that you can leverage in a new business, that you solely control?

See any opportunities there?

OP
OP
S

Strategery

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 25, 2019
Anything in your family's business that you can leverage in a new business, that you solely control?

See any opportunities there?
Nothing immediately comes to mind. I'm basically just a manager at this point with little control, but lots of influence. My older brother is next in line in terms of control/ownership.

Maybe I'm not completely clear about what you mean, I'm going to think about it a little more. Do you mean like assets or systems?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom