The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Would You Start This Business?

Idea threads

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Here's a fascinating business concept - kid-themed business displays.

210979-1600x1065-IDS-jungle-themed-office.jpg

I know little about the space. Almost couldn't find any businesses offering the service (maybe I'm searching for the wrong term).

Based on what I know about donor recognition, my guess is that displays like these probably start around $50-$100k and go up from there.

The business below is well-established, serving clients all over the world.

How would someone enter this space from scratch? Who would you need to know or bring together? Where would you even begin?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
No different than how I would start a TI (Tenant Improvement) fit out for regular businesses. Take an office space. Say you wanted to renovate a newly leased space, you would hire a TI construction company. They in turn would bring in trades who do each part (walls, doors, flooring, paint, lights etc.)

You will likely need them to handle your design first, to get the city permits.

To me, this is a construction management business.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
To me, this is a construction management business.

Does that mean you would primarily operate as a consultant? You would basically outsource each piece of the renovation puzzle to another business, and handle the administrative side of things?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Does that mean you would primarily operate as a consultant? You would basically outsource each piece of the renovation puzzle to another business, and handle the administrative side of things?

Simplistic but yes.

A general contractors is the lead contractor on a construction project, responsible for scheduling subcontractors, and ensuring they comply with all relevant laws and building codes. This is an important distinction, as a general contractor can be held accountable if something goes wrong on the project.

There is risk associated with it.

Typically people who run this type of business have education in Project Management (construction specific). You can of course hire someone to be your PM.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Simplistic but yes.

A general contractors is the lead contractor on a construction project, responsible for scheduling subcontractors, and ensuring they comply with all relevant laws and building codes. This is an important distinction, as a general contractor can be held accountable if something goes wrong on the project.

There is risk associated with it.

Typically people who run this type of business have education in Project Management (construction specific). You can of course hire someone to be your PM.
How would you market this as a newbie in the space? You have no connections, no clients, no case studies, and no example products. You can't just offer free work because you'd go broke lol.

I suppose you might leverage imagery and case studies of the companies you partner with and then run paid ads to a website. You'd have to hope that they don't ask to see examples of other clients.

Maybe this business is unrealistic for someone who doesn't have the right background experience and education.

It's starting to seem like lead gen for established companies is the play for someone who wants a slice of the pie without getting in over their head.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
The easy answer is that I wouldn’t start it at all. TI is a hard business to make it. The usual suspects in the field are GCs who do large projects already and as a “bolt on service” they do an off brand TI for their existing clients.

Lead gen isn’t a big deal. Typically an office tenant who needs TI got the lease through a broker. Broker will have TI contacts and will help. Landlord will have a shortlist too. And most will go to the known entities with reputation.

One area is construction that is ripe for big things and disruption is pre-fabricated structures. If you were keen to go there, even a lead gen business there is likely to be good. From cottage in remote locations (can’t construct on some island with no power lol) to prefab Multifamily buildings.

SiuLung

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Aug 13, 2019
France
The easy answer is that I wouldn’t start it at all. TI is a hard business to make it. The usual suspects in the field are GCs who do large projects already and as a “bolt on service” they do an off brand TI for their existing clients.

Lead gen isn’t a big deal. Typically an office tenant who needs TI got the lease through a broker. Broker will have TI contacts and will help. Landlord will have a shortlist too. And most will go to the known entities with reputation.

One area is construction that is ripe for big things and disruption is pre-fabricated structures. If you were keen to go there, even a lead gen business there is likely to be good. From cottage in remote locations (can’t construct on some island with no power lol) to prefab Multifamily buildings.
Just want to add something to @Antifragile's comment.
Selling prefab structures and sending them to remote places was my former job. We sold them to customers in our country (France) but the biggest projects always came from Africa and remote islands where they don't have manufacturers for this sort of thing. Resellers there often have very high prices because they buy it already built, so transportation is expensive. On our side, we sent them as flatpacks, allowing us to send up to 10-12 units in one 40' container.
And all of this without leaving our office.

Regarding your question @Lex DeVille, the only thing I'm able to tell you is to look up FRP/GRP sculptures. I bet this is what the tree and the monkeys are made of.
This is also what is used to make mascots/sculptures you see at theme parks (like pirates) or for advertising purposes (burgers for example).
Maybe another idea would be to sell those FRP/GRP sculptures.

Cheers!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
There's an opportunity for a newbie if the companies that will actually perform the work suck at sales.

Then, you find a contractor, start a cold calling campaign, close some deals and take your cut.

If they do not suck at sales and are already reaching out to every office in the country then you aren't adding value. You would have to either get into the actual construction of them or something like that.

Cool stuff though, I bet margins are ridiculous.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
If when you are trying to find a contractor they all say "dude we are booked out for 2 years we don't need more projects" then there's massive demand and if you got involved in the construction of them I'm sure there's millions to be made.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
If they do not suck at sales and are already reaching out to every office in the country then you aren't adding value. You would have to either get into the actual construction of them or something like that.
I did copywriting for a donor wall company a few years back. They told me all of their sales come from Google ads. I don't think they did any sales outreach. Just ran ads and let hospitals/nonprofits reach out to them. They would get found when companies search for "Donor Recognition Wall" and said that's how their competitors got sales too.

When I searched for "Themed Decor for Doctor's Office" nothing came up. "Themed Decor for Kids Office" brought up the website from my OP and no others, and there were no ads for other businesses offering the same.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have a product that fits the space. It's wall-mounted and I've sold it to businesses in the past. Not many companies make it.

Mostly, I was curious about this business model for discussion or in case someone else might be interested. I saw one of those big trees in a pediatric office a year or two ago and figured someone made a fortune selling them. Always wondered what went into the business.

Maybe another idea would be to sell those FRP/GRP sculptures.

Wow, that's an entire industry of its own! Not many companies advertise them. All of the ads I got when I searched were from China or India.

SiuLung

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Aug 13, 2019
France
Wow, that's an entire industry of its own! Not many companies advertise them. All of the ads I got when I searched were from China or India.
Yes, I didn't go down the rabbit hole for now but it makes me want to dig a little further too ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.