The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Validate an idea of Upwork based service to reduce job search time and find better-fitted clients?

Idea threads

Nick Kadutskyi

Tell me to take action
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 8, 2021
Los Angeles
Hey Fastlaners,
I do some work on Upwork and struggle with finding jobs time to time. Also, I see that other people struggle with that too.

So I am thinking of ways to reduce time wasted on job search.
Also I am looking into how to segment clients on Upwork so you only interact with people which are a good fit for you.
As a result you will be able to save time and increase profitability for a small ($5-20/mon) subscription fee.

❓What is a good way to validate an idea?

My current plan is:
  1. Formulate my ideas and condense them into a product
  2. Do some UX/UI design (only partial, just a functional part)
  3. Setup a landing page
    • Where I will talk to a specific segment of freelancers/agencies ( let's say web development segment)
    • I will describe how my service:
      • will help them to find better-fitted clients and how that will result into more earnings
      • reduce time wasted on reading job postings and interacting with clients who aren't a good fit
      • will help get projects faster
    • I will show some designs/wireframes
    • I will show pricing and will allow them to sign up.
    • Once they try to actually sing up I will tell them that the service is coming soon and will ask for their email to add them into a waiting list
  4. Look for "watering holes" (where people talk about problems that my service can solve). Go to Upwork related forums/communities/groups and talk to people who face same issues as I do. Ask their feedback and to enter a waiting list.
  5. Do cold outreach on LinkedIn
  6. Once Beta is released reach out to people on a waiting list and propose them to use service for free for 1-2 months.
  7. During the trial period survey customers to see if the service helps them.
I've already thought about this idea for a couple years and I actually have some parts of it that I use for myself. And I think it helps me.

My assumption is that if I will be able to get at least 100 people on a waiting list there is definitely a need.

❓How representative is the number of people on a waiting list?

❓Do you think faking an ability to sign up is a good idea? I can just say that it's coming soon and provide a way to enter a waiting list.

❓How to not look like a scam while asking people to check my service landing page?

❓What do you think about paid surveys?

This is what I think in terms of CENTS:
  • Control is really low since the service is fully dependent on Upwork
  • Entry is average
  • Need. For now I think everyone can benefit from this service, but I want to validate that (the whole purpose of this post)
  • Time. Potentially this service might be fully automated.
  • I still don't know how Scalable it is. There are about 400k earning freelancers on Upwork who might actually benefit from the service. If I reach at least 1% that would be great.
  • Access to Market. Should be easy, but it totally depends on Upwork Partners team decisions (lack of control).
Schedule that I anticipate:
  • Marketing research/idea validation. (1st-4th weeks)
    • Do product development and copywriting to the point when I can show some designs and describe how it's going to be useful. (1st week)
    • Drive traffic to the landing page through "watering holes". (maybe ads???) (2nd-3rd weeks)
    • Analyze data (4th week)
  • Development until Beta (2nd-4th weeks)
  • [Milestone 1] Released 1st Beta on 5th week
  • Customer development on a real product (5th-7th week)
    • Surveys
    • Interviews
  • Continue development until fully stable v1.0 (5th-7th week)
  • [Milestone 2] Released stable v1.0 (8th week)
  • Continue Customer development and marketing execution
    • "Watering holes"
    • Blog posts targeting specific people
    • Posting on Social Media (Twitter, LinkedIn)???
    • Possibly cold outreach on LinkedIn
    • Affiliate program for existing customers
  • Continue additional feature development
I have experience in Software/Web Development, Project and Product management, UX design, some experience in UI design. I don't have any experience in copywriting and marketing.
But I would like to learn more about marketing since that's very important.

Thank you,
Nick

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.