The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to change career?

Lotus

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 14, 2019
24 years old, software engineer, working in a company.

I had been working at a company for one year, fresh out of college.
Working life was ok. Salary was below median but it was alright. My boss was easygoing. I was the second best guy in my department.

After some careful considerations, I can apply to another company with higher salary. My plan to consider:
- Find companies on LinkedIn.
- Send my resume with current work (I was occasionally contacted by recruiters).
- They might ask for reference.
Usually they will ask for 3 references. I have a stellar reference on a non-software engineer job, but otherwise I only have this job. If I come to my boss and say I want to change career, he'd say good things about me but I don't know for sure.
- If I get another job, I'd support my current company workload until they found a new guy, and I'd even offer email support if they have any issue arises.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
If I come to my boss and say I want to change career, he'd say good things about me but I don't know for sure.
Or he would try to keep you cause your salary is below median and you're the second best guy in your department. That may be a raise proposal or refusal to give good recommendation if he's a dick. You probably make him some good money.
Everything else sounds like a good plan.

You would probably have to pass an interview for the job. Try to know what you'll be working on at a new company before that, it's fine to ask it, at least here. Think of the best value they would get from hiring you and prepare yourself on the technical side. That would increase your chances of securing a job and a better salary.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.