The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How might Covid impact sports longterm

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
What do you think this pandemics impacts to the sporting world will be? When this is all behind us, do people rush back in and resume consuming sports like they did before? It seems likely live events may take a huge prolonged hit, will they recover?

What emerging trends do you see, it has been interesting to see the eSports version of car racing. It seems relatively well received, and visually is approaching the real thing. Maybe this the beginning of an esports boom.

More importantly what new trends and opportunities for entrepreneurs do you expect?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Peal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 4, 2020
Western U.S.
My guess is most will recover, and some will become a distant memory.

And I think you're right, Esports are on the cusp of exploding. Schools are giving scholarships for Esports and pros are making a lot of money. CBS put together a great piece on that industry:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box4SFtGvA0

As far as opportunities, sports betting is also on the cusp of becoming socially accepted. It seems to be following a similar path to the marijuana industry. Pot was stigmatized for much of the 20th century and is now considered "essential business" in many states. Slowly but surely, more and more states are coming around legalizing sports betting. A lot of financial traders are migrating to sports. There are plenty of opportunities to invest in new platforms, and you could even start a book of your own. If you're interested, there's a great podcast called "bettingpod." The host interviews some of the best bettors and bookmakers in the world. He broke down his thoughts on his conversations in this thread:

View: https://twitter.com/BettingPod/status/1245836837798674432

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
People like their sports. I'm guessing that it will take a while but most will be back. They may take some hit but commercialization will continue to bring them lots of money.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Sports betting has been legal in Australia as long as I can remember. The big bookies, who have had nothing to lay bets on since sports shut down have been offering under/overs on the weather, what colour tie the PM is going to wear in his press conference, literally anything. The old saying "Australians would bet on 2 flies crawling up a wall" has never been more true!

Sport will come back in a big way, providing fans are allowed into the stadiums, but even then tv/online viewership will be up, at least in the short term. Long term, contact sports will continue to face issues and the need for further rule changes relating to CTE and other long term injuries.

I've always been a sports fan and a look forward to seeing the progression, when it comes to crowds for instance, watch an NFL game with the sound on, and the roar of 40,000 people when a major moment happens, adds a lot to the spectacle for those watching at home. My local football, AFL, played the first round of the season before closing down a few weeks ago to empty stadiums. Certainly wasn't the same as when there's a packed house. But if there are restrictions on crowds, I think fans will just be happy to watch it on tv again after the break.

Then look at something like golf, unless Tigers walking up the 18th fairway in the lead you hardly notice the crowd (ok a bit more than just that, cheers from incredible shots for instance but its usually polite golf claps anyway) nor does it play a big role in creating atmosphere for viewers at home, they could get going right away (providing its safe for volunteers, ground staff etc) and the spectacle would be fine.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
PGA Tour have announced a re-start date, June 8th, no spectators in attendance at this stage;

They must of read my post yesterday haha.

One thing that I will be interested in seeing is if there are any sports, or teams even, that don't survive this shut down. The NRL (Rugby League) in Australia asked for and were denied funding before they even announced the shut down, they will need to restart soon from a commercial point of view or the league and a number of their clubs will not survive. ARU (Rugby Union) has been mismanaged and losing money for years, and right before the virus they lost their only television deal in Australia, they could be in big trouble unless wealthy fans try and prop them up. I'm sure its similar in lots of sports around the place.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
PGA Tour have announced a re-start date, June 8th, no spectators in attendance at this stage;

They must of read my post yesterday haha.

One thing that I will be interested in seeing is if there are any sports, or teams even, that don't survive this shut down. The NRL (Rugby League) in Australia asked for and were denied funding before they even announced the shut down, they will need to restart soon from a commercial point of view or the league and a number of their clubs will not survive. ARU (Rugby Union) has been mismanaged and losing money for years, and right before the virus they lost their only television deal in Australia, they could be in big trouble unless wealthy fans try and prop them up. I'm sure its similar in lots of sports around the place.

I have a hard time seeing them filling stadiums for a couple years. The sports themselves will still be valued, but I am kinda thinking the paradigm of consumption may dramatically shift. Maybe this will be the beginning of a real VR revolution.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I have a hard time seeing them filling stadiums for a couple years. The sports themselves will still be valued, but I am kinda thinking the paradigm of consumption may dramatically shift. Maybe this will be the beginning of a real VR revolution.

Yep can see that playing out, AFL have already discussed using fake crowd noise to match what's happening on the field for instance.

And using the car racing example mentioned earlier, if drivers are in simulators, fans visually see a similar experience race wise, it would save a ton of money on maintaining the vehicles, reduce pollution, be safer from drivers (no life threatening crashes)... Purists won't like it, not being in attendance, hearing and feeling the rumble of a petrol fuelled engine, but they might not have a say if crowds are banned anyway.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I can see sports doing a stop start over the next 6 months or so, maybe even until there's a vaccine? PGA Tour for example, will only take 1 person, either a player/caddie/ground staff/volunteer to get the virus and it will completely shut down again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.