The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello I'm Otis from Nigeria

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Sep 12, 2022
Hello my name is Otis. I am an eighteen-year-old first-year student in the university. I have been lurking in the forum for several months now always consuming in the background and never providing anything of value. And I really want to change all that. I read all of MJ's books (every last one) last year during the long University strike(1 year) in my country (Nigeria). I discovered MJ's books through a YouTube video "The Untold Truth About Money" from there I read Unscripted and TMF . Unscripted is and will always be the best book I've ever read in my life. It exposed the financial lie, the conventional path go to school, graduate, get a good job. It changed the way I think and also opened my mind to multiple possibilities, what I didn't know was possible for me finally were, so as my dream of becoming a billionaire creating a legacy and living in Los Angeles, California. THANK YOU MJ FOR THOSE PRECIOUS BOOKS. Now I wish to give the reason for my lurking. During that year(2022) after reading all of MJ's books I started reading more and more books (mostly ebooks). I would read them for hours (9 hours on average) every day and I perform this routine for weeks. I would read slowly and aggressively trying to consume every single line of text I could. After all that I developed an eye movement problem/oculomotor dysfunction. I could no longer read as smooth and seamless as before and it made comprehending what I read very hard. I visited two optometrists but all they did was prescribe drugs, artificial tear drops and glasses which didn't solve the problem. I researched the problem and found out that the solution would be vision therapy but most clinics in my country don't offer it. I found out on the internet only one clinic offered it and that's in the country's capital, which is very far from where I reside but I can't go get treatment there because my family fears of the risk of a terrorist attack when traveling that far(and also because of the lack of funds). So I left the problem alone and started my first semester at the university in December. After five months in the university I didn't really accomplish anything significant. All I did was become a lazy person, procrastinate on my goals and not progress any way I can. All i did was was binge watch YouTube videos and not do anything meaningful with my time.My grades also suffered. At the time I thought it was my reading problem that stopped me from progressing but now I think I just used it as an excuse. Last month I visited a third optometrist and they still couldn't solve the problem. This time they advocated some "unorthodox treatments". The second semester just started and I'm trying to improve myself despite the problem but I just can't get that "push" to do the hard things I'm supposed to do. Everyday i feel tired and unmotivated. Whenever I try to do something productive with my time I feel like giving up after a few minutes of work. I am also a very introverted person as I have almost no friends, talking to people scares me, the only people I see more often are the ones who wants to take/get things for me. I also notice i care way too much of what others think of me. I think some of these problems i'm facing were as a result of my (very loving mother) doing lots of things for me while in secondary school(High School) and not allowing me to stand up for myself enough/face challenging situations. High school has shaped me in way that hinders my ability to achieve success. I am also always in fear of failure which makes me have a mental breakdown whenever something/situation doesn't go my way. I want to get fully started on my entrepreneurial journey but my perfectionist mind rules and I always imagine the perfect day when I finally start a business. Now I'm considering the idea of selling Digital products (an idea i got from lex DeVille's thread) so i could raise some value vouchers to fix my problem(vision-related). Okay i'm done talking about my problems. I hope to turn all this around and also to contribute and write value-adding content. And also one day I could write my own Unscripted story. Thank you for Reading

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Sep 12, 2022
Hello my name is Otis. I am an eighteen-year-old first-year student in the university. I have been lurking in the forum for several months now always consuming in the background and never providing anything of value. And I really want to change all that. I read all of MJ's books (every last one) last year during the long University strike(1 year) in my country (Nigeria). I discovered MJ's books through a YouTube video "The Untold Truth About Money" from there I read Unscripted and TMF . Unscripted is and will always be the best book I've ever read in my life. It exposed the financial lie, the generic go to school, graduate, get a good job. It changed the way I think and also opened my mind to multiple possibilities, what I didn't know was possible for me finally were, so as my dream of becoming a billionaire creating a legacy and living in Los Angeles, California. THANK YOU MJ FOR THOSE PRECIOUS BOOKS. Now I wish to give the reason for my lurking. During that year(2022) after reading all of MJ's books I started reading more and more books (mostly ebooks). I would read them for hours (9 hours on average) every day and I perform this routine for weeks. I would read slowly and aggressively trying to consume every single line of text I could. After all that I developed an eye movement problem/oculomotor dysfunction. I could no longer read as smooth and seamless as before and it made comprehending what I read very hard. I visited two optometrists but all they did was prescribe drugs, artificial tear drops and glasses which didn't solve the problem. I researched the problem and found out that the solution would be vision therapy but most clinics in my country don't offer it. I found out on the internet only one clinic offered it and that's in the country's capital (Abuja), which is very far from where I reside but I can't go get treatment there because my family fears of the risk of a terrorist attack when traveling that far(and also because of the lack of funds). So I left the problem alone and started my first semester at the university in December. After five months in the university I didn't really accomplish anything significant. All I did was become a lazy person, procrastinate on my goals and not progress any way I can. All i did was was binge watch YouTube videos and not do anything meaningful with my time. My grades also suffered. At the time I thought it was my eye-movement problem that stopped me from progressing but now I think I just used it as an excuse. Last month I visited a third optometrist and they still couldn't solve the problem. This time they advocated some "unorthodox treatments". The second semester just started and I'm trying to improve myself despite the problem but I just can't get that "push" to do the hard things I'm supposed to do. Everyday i feel tired and unmotivated. Whenever I try to do something productive with my time I feel like giving up after a few minutes of work. I am also a very introverted person as I have almost no friends, talking to people scares me, the only people I see more often are the ones who wants to take/get things for me. I also notice i care way too much of what others think of me. I think some of these problems i'm facing were as a result of my (very loving mother) doing lots of things for me while in secondary school(High School) and not allowing me to stand up for myself enough/face challenging situations. High school has shaped me in way that hinders my ability to achieve success. I am also always in fear of failure which makes me have a mental breakdown whenever something/situation doesn't go my way. I want to get fully started on my entrepreneurial journey but my perfectionist mind rules and I always imagine the perfect day when I finally start a business. Now I'm considering the idea of selling Digital products (an idea i got from lex DeVille's thread) so i could raise some value vouchers to fix my problem(eye-related). Okay i'm done talking about my problems. I hope to turn all this around and also to contribute and write value-adding content. And also one day I could write my own Unscripted story. Thank you for Reading
Actually i wouldn't say the vision problem is the main reason for lurking.
I think perfectionism played the most part

Last edited:

Kalactose

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 21, 2022
Hello my name is Otis. I am an eighteen-year-old first-year student in the university. I have been lurking in the forum for several months now always consuming in the background and never providing anything of value. And I really want to change all that. I read all of MJ's books (every last one) last year during the long University strike(1 year) in my country (Nigeria). I discovered MJ's books through a YouTube video "The Untold Truth About Money" from there I read Unscripted and TMF . Unscripted is and will always be the best book I've ever read in my life. It exposed the financial lie, the generic go to school, graduate, get a good job. It changed the way I think and also opened my mind to multiple possibilities, what I didn't know was possible for me finally were, so as my dream of becoming a billionaire creating a legacy and living in Los Angeles, California. THANK YOU MJ FOR THOSE PRECIOUS BOOKS. Now I wish to give the reason for my lurking. During that year(2022) after reading all of MJ's books I started reading more and more books (mostly ebooks). I would read them for hours (9 hours on average) every day and I perform this routine for weeks. I would read slowly and aggressively trying to consume every single line of text I could. After all that I developed an eye movement problem/oculomotor dysfunction. I could no longer read as smooth and seamless as before and it made comprehending what I read very hard. I visited two optometrists but all they did was prescribe drugs, artificial tear drops and glasses which didn't solve the problem. I researched the problem and found out that the solution would be vision therapy but most clinics in my country don't offer it. I found out on the internet only one clinic offered it and that's in the country's capital (Abuja), which is very far from where I reside but I can't go get treatment there because my family fears of the risk of a terrorist attack when traveling that far(and also because of the lack of funds). So I left the problem alone and started my first semester at the university in December. After five months in the university I didn't really accomplish anything significant. All I did was become a lazy person, procrastinate on my goals and not progress any way I can. All i did was was binge watch YouTube videos and not do anything meaningful with my time. My grades also suffered. At the time I thought it was my eye-movement problem that stopped me from progressing but now I think I just used it as an excuse. Last month I visited a third optometrist and they still couldn't solve the problem. This time they advocated some "unorthodox treatments". The second semester just started and I'm trying to improve myself despite the problem but I just can't get that "push" to do the hard things I'm supposed to do. Everyday i feel tired and unmotivated. Whenever I try to do something productive with my time I feel like giving up after a few minutes of work. I am also a very introverted person as I have almost no friends, talking to people scares me, the only people I see more often are the ones who wants to take/get things for me. I also notice i care way too much of what others think of me. I think some of these problems i'm facing were as a result of my (very loving mother) doing lots of things for me while in secondary school(High School) and not allowing me to stand up for myself enough/face challenging situations. High school has shaped me in way that hinders my ability to achieve success. I am also always in fear of failure which makes me have a mental breakdown whenever something/situation doesn't go my way. I want to get fully started on my entrepreneurial journey but my perfectionist mind rules and I always imagine the perfect day when I finally start a business. Now I'm considering the idea of selling Digital products (an idea i got from lex DeVille's thread) so i could raise some value vouchers to fix my problem(eye-related). Okay i'm done talking about my problems. I hope to turn all this around and also to contribute and write value-adding content. And also one day I could write my own Unscripted story. Thank you for Reading
I'm from Nigeria too, Kano to be specific. I was in that exact situation 1 year ago. Just got into uni, suffered from bad grades, didn't own shit, had no friends let alone girlfriends, a slave to my parents and basically a worthless human being who contributed ZERO to the society.

Now I look back, a month after my 19th birthday and the last year was my best year ever. I broke the script, broke away from the matrix, stopped sprinting in the rat race and reversed the other way.

Now I'm happy to say I'm blessed and I'm doing well for my self. I just spent about 300k this month and I have a 120k tablet on order. All I earned by myself. This is a remarkable shift for me when I couldn't get a hold of N200. And I'm just starting.

I went from planting cabbages for 12 hours straight under 45°c sun everyday for 60 days straight so that I can earn money to buy connects on Upwork and send proposals. I was so dark you couldn't see the sun spots. I hawked in my local market daily to now owning a laundry shop with employees.

My advice; you are playing the game in extremely hard mode. You are in this shithole of a country, I don't need to tell you the problems we have daily but it's up to you to break the chains of indoctrination and be a man of your own or go along with the conventional and be completely miserable.

You read all these books but what have you accomplished? Close the books and go work. Do something. Anything you can get a hold of. School will not benefit you even in the slightest and you know this. The unemployment rate is staggering, if you are not in the medical field, screw school.

But my dad wouldn't let me....
But I have no capital...
But I have no skills...
But I have school...
But, but, but....

There are no buts... Just Fix them.

Raise yourself, teach yourself, do everything for yourself. You have African Parents dude, do you believe they will support you? Give them their due respects and respectfully say F*ck your opinion. Where are you now that you listened to their opinion for the last 18 years and where will you be if you continue listening to them?

Pave your own way brother. You have many years ahead of you. Do not be conventional. Do not do conventional. This forum is a great place to spend your time.

Good luck!

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Sep 12, 2022
I'm from Nigeria too, Kano to be specific. I was in that exact situation 1 year ago. Just got into uni, suffered from bad grades, didn't own shit, had no friends let alone girlfriends, a slave to my parents and basically a worthless human being who contributed ZERO to the society.

Now I look back, a month after my 19th birthday and the last year was my best year ever. I broke the script, broke away from the matrix, stopped sprinting in the rat race and reversed the other way.

Now I'm happy to say I'm blessed and I'm doing well for my self. I just spent about 300k this month and I have a 120k tablet on order. All I earned by myself. This is a remarkable shift for me when I couldn't get a hold of N200. And I'm just starting.

I went from planting cabbages for 12 hours straight under 45°c sun everyday for 60 days straight so that I can earn money to buy connects on Upwork and send proposals. I was so dark you couldn't see the sun spots. I hawked in my local market daily to now owning a laundry shop with employees.

My advice; you are playing the game in extremely hard mode. You are in this shithole of a country, I don't need to tell you the problems we have daily but it's up to you to break the chains of indoctrination and be a man of your own or go along with the conventional and be completely miserable.

You read all these books but what have you accomplished? Close the books and go work. Do something. Anything you can get a hold of. School will not benefit you even in the slightest and you know this. The unemployment rate is staggering, if you are not in the medical field, screw school.

But my dad wouldn't let me....
But I have no capital...
But I have no skills...
But I have school...
But, but, but....

There are no buts... Just Fix them.

Raise yourself, teach yourself, do everything for yourself. You have African Parents dude, do you believe they will support you? Give them their due respects and respectfully say F*ck your opinion. Where are you now that you listened to their opinion for the last 18 years and where will you be if you continue listening to them?

Pave your own way brother. You have many years ahead of you. Do not be conventional. Do not do conventional. This forum is a great place to spend your time.

Good luck!
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your story is really inspiring and motivating, it gives me hope that i can make a change and also not to give excuses for not taking action. Thank you so much for sharing.

Ayodaygee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 1, 2023
Hello my name is Otis. I am an eighteen-year-old first-year student in the university. I have been lurking in the forum for several months now always consuming in the background and never providing anything of value. And I really want to change all that. I read all of MJ's books (every last one) last year during the long University strike(1 year) in my country (Nigeria). I discovered MJ's books through a YouTube video "The Untold Truth About Money" from there I read Unscripted and TMF . Unscripted is and will always be the best book I've ever read in my life. It exposed the financial lie, the conventional path go to school, graduate, get a good job. It changed the way I think and also opened my mind to multiple possibilities, what I didn't know was possible for me finally were, so as my dream of becoming a billionaire creating a legacy and living in Los Angeles, California. THANK YOU MJ FOR THOSE PRECIOUS BOOKS. Now I wish to give the reason for my lurking. During that year(2022) after reading all of MJ's books I started reading more and more books (mostly ebooks). I would read them for hours (9 hours on average) every day and I perform this routine for weeks. I would read slowly and aggressively trying to consume every single line of text I could. After all that I developed an eye movement problem/oculomotor dysfunction. I could no longer read as smooth and seamless as before and it made comprehending what I read very hard. I visited two optometrists but all they did was prescribe drugs, artificial tear drops and glasses which didn't solve the problem. I researched the problem and found out that the solution would be vision therapy but most clinics in my country don't offer it. I found out on the internet only one clinic offered it and that's in the country's capital, which is very far from where I reside but I can't go get treatment there because my family fears of the risk of a terrorist attack when traveling that far(and also because of the lack of funds). So I left the problem alone and started my first semester at the university in December. After five months in the university I didn't really accomplish anything significant. All I did was become a lazy person, procrastinate on my goals and not progress any way I can. All i did was was binge watch YouTube videos and not do anything meaningful with my time.My grades also suffered. At the time I thought it was my reading problem that stopped me from progressing but now I think I just used it as an excuse. Last month I visited a third optometrist and they still couldn't solve the problem. This time they advocated some "unorthodox treatments". The second semester just started and I'm trying to improve myself despite the problem but I just can't get that "push" to do the hard things I'm supposed to do. Everyday i feel tired and unmotivated. Whenever I try to do something productive with my time I feel like giving up after a few minutes of work. I am also a very introverted person as I have almost no friends, talking to people scares me, the only people I see more often are the ones who wants to take/get things for me. I also notice i care way too much of what others think of me. I think some of these problems i'm facing were as a result of my (very loving mother) doing lots of things for me while in secondary school(High School) and not allowing me to stand up for myself enough/face challenging situations. High school has shaped me in way that hinders my ability to achieve success. I am also always in fear of failure which makes me have a mental breakdown whenever something/situation doesn't go my way. I want to get fully started on my entrepreneurial journey but my perfectionist mind rules and I always imagine the perfect day when I finally start a business. Now I'm considering the idea of selling Digital products (an idea i got from lex DeVille's thread) so i could raise some value vouchers to fix my problem(vision-related). Okay i'm done talking about my problems. I hope to turn all this around and also to contribute and write value-adding content. And also one day I could write my own Unscripted story. Thank you for Reading
It's surprising that we have Nigerians on this forum. This means am not alone in this rule of thought that's gotten in MJ DeMarco's books.

MJ's books are actually different from the common books on finances. His books are wonderful. The only hindrance I have right now is applying some of his key principles of CENTS to a business choice in a 3rd world country like mine, Nigeria.

Nigeria and every 3rd world country are complex countries. Some ideas fulfill "CEN" but fail in "TS". You just can't get an idea that just suits Nigeria without being at an extremely advanced level in some particular skills. I just hope I can crack this puzzle soon.

To my fellow Nigerians here, I do hope we all hook up someday.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Sep 12, 2022
Dang this is a terrible post
The only hindrance I have right now is applying some of his key principles of CENTS to a business choice in a 3rd world country like mine, Nigeria.
I think building a Business that obeys the CENTS commandments is possible in Nigeria as it is in any country in the world
You just can't get an idea that just suits Nigeria without being at an extremely advanced level in some particular skills. I just hope I can crack this puzzle soon.
Skills like what? You just need to find a need/problem, work backwards and learn the skills needed to fulfill the need/solve that problem.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
Hello my name is Otis. I am an eighteen-year-old first-year student in the university. I have been lurking in the forum for several months now always consuming in the background and never providing anything of value. And I really want to change all that. I read all of MJ's books (every last one) last year during the long University strike(1 year) in my country (Nigeria). I discovered MJ's books through a YouTube video "The Untold Truth About Money" from there I read Unscripted and TMF. Unscripted is and will always be the best book I've ever read in my life. It exposed the financial lie, the conventional path go to school, graduate, get a good job. It changed the way I think and also opened my mind to multiple possibilities, what I didn't know was possible for me finally were, so as my dream of becoming a billionaire creating a legacy and living in Los Angeles, California. THANK YOU MJ FOR THOSE PRECIOUS BOOKS. Now I wish to give the reason for my lurking. During that year(2022) after reading all of MJ's books I started reading more and more books (mostly ebooks). I would read them for hours (9 hours on average) every day and I perform this routine for weeks. I would read slowly and aggressively trying to consume every single line of text I could. After all that I developed an eye movement problem/oculomotor dysfunction. I could no longer read as smooth and seamless as before and it made comprehending what I read very hard. I visited two optometrists but all they did was prescribe drugs, artificial tear drops and glasses which didn't solve the problem. I researched the problem and found out that the solution would be vision therapy but most clinics in my country don't offer it. I found out on the internet only one clinic offered it and that's in the country's capital, which is very far from where I reside but I can't go get treatment there because my family fears of the risk of a terrorist attack when traveling that far(and also because of the lack of funds). So I left the problem alone and started my first semester at the university in December. After five months in the university I didn't really accomplish anything significant. All I did was become a lazy person, procrastinate on my goals and not progress any way I can. All i did was was binge watch YouTube videos and not do anything meaningful with my time.My grades also suffered. At the time I thought it was my reading problem that stopped me from progressing but now I think I just used it as an excuse. Last month I visited a third optometrist and they still couldn't solve the problem. This time they advocated some "unorthodox treatments". The second semester just started and I'm trying to improve myself despite the problem but I just can't get that "push" to do the hard things I'm supposed to do. Everyday i feel tired and unmotivated. Whenever I try to do something productive with my time I feel like giving up after a few minutes of work. I am also a very introverted person as I have almost no friends, talking to people scares me, the only people I see more often are the ones who wants to take/get things for me. I also notice i care way too much of what others think of me. I think some of these problems i'm facing were as a result of my (very loving mother) doing lots of things for me while in secondary school(High School) and not allowing me to stand up for myself enough/face challenging situations. High school has shaped me in way that hinders my ability to achieve success. I am also always in fear of failure which makes me have a mental breakdown whenever something/situation doesn't go my way. I want to get fully started on my entrepreneurial journey but my perfectionist mind rules and I always imagine the perfect day when I finally start a business. Now I'm considering the idea of selling Digital products (an idea i got from lex DeVille's thread) so i could raise some value vouchers to fix my problem(vision-related). Okay i'm done talking about my problems. I hope to turn all this around and also to contribute and write value-adding content. And also one day I could write my own Unscripted story. Thank you for Reading
Hey, I'm also a Nigerian uni student and I relate to a lot of what you are saying.

I get an idea and if it doesn't go as planned, I feel like shit and start doing something else. The cycle continues like that.

Trying to work on myself.

Ayodaygee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 1, 2023
Dang this is a terrible post

I think building a Business that obeys the CENTS commandments is possible in Nigeria as it is in any country in the world

Skills like what? You just need to find a need/problem, work backwards and learn the skills needed to fulfill the need/solve that problem.
A lot of skills. Right now, for example, I think jiji.ng enjoys so much monopoly on the e-commerce listings business. To compete with jiji.ng, you do not only have to have the skills or passion, you need to have some money so you can get the best programmers on-board. You would want to have them on-board for a while too. This is why I say one feels helpless.

If you were to go for a business that commands easy ENTRY (which is most common here), you will never have that unique selling promise and besides how well can you compete against much more desperate competitors. You would have to make do with profit margins that lead to no growth.

Sometimes, I wish I got to read MJ's books in the glory days when the NAIRA was a strong/good currency of exchange.

The ideas are there, but the puzzle just does not get unraveled.

Guys that are single, young and have had this much exposure to these core principles are lucky. Taking that bold step for me, means I have to set a large chunk of money aside for family needs, maybe for a year. Then put all the fire in me into a CENTS model, hoping it does not fail. And if it fails, it should fail fast before the year is up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...