The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Failures in judging the NEED?

Ludachris

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Mar 17, 2017
Norcal
I'm working on a project and am starting to wonder, as I always do, if I'm identifying the NEED (relative value) correctly. It made me wonder what stories some of you might have where you thought you found a NEED and realized after a lot of hard work that you misjudged it and nobody really wanted what you created.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
UK
Speak to people, verify the pain point with your target demo. Get pre-orders if possible (offer an incentive for doing so).

You are never going to know 100%. You just have to collect the data you can, and and when you are 65%+ sure (adjust for your risk tolerance) pull the trigger.

p.s. Be careful about your buddies telling you it's great and that they would definitely buy, and then when it's crunch time they don't wanna hand over the moolah.

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho
Speak to people, verify the pain point with your target demo. Get pre-orders if possible (offer an incentive for doing so).

You are never going to know 100%. You just have to collect the data you can, and and when you are 65%+ sure (adjust for your risk tolerance) pull the trigger.

p.s. Be careful about your buddies telling you it's great and that they would definitely buy, and then when it's crunch time they don't wanna hand over the moolah.
I agree on that one. I worked on a site/app people used but their psychological makeup was to get stuff for free and so when we put the paying wall, nobody bought.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom