The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Elite studies & Family Business

Exodor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 11, 2019
Hi everyone,

Anyone from Switzerland to connect? (No easy to find people with an entrepreneurial mindset over here)

I decided to finally engage in this community because, after countless books and other self and formal education, MJ's content clearly stood out and this community is one of practitioners.

My entrepreneurial endeavor is characterized by a weird dilemma : I have to many opportunities.

And I'm not saying that to brag, quite the opposite. It's more of a paralyzing situation for a nerd like me who is prone to overanalysing ...

For the bulletpoints readers here they are:
  • Part time: studying at the top business school of Switzerland (among very good performers), aiming to join the best management master degree in the world
  • Part time: co-founder of a 7 figures family business (working on the business while my dad is working in the business)
  • Side hustle: co-host of a french-speaking podcast on high performance & entrepreneurship (decent following, used as a networking platform so far)

For those who would like some more details:

Yes, I am "officially" a student and yes I do value education (formal as well as autodidact). The point is that getting an elite education almost for free with all the international branding and opportunities as a plan B is a no-brainer for me. I therefore have a 3 to 5 years golden period to execute my entrepreneurial projects while "officially studying".

BUT as a very driven individual, I can't resign myself to just follow the (even elite) script.

The family business is a project which is close to my heart because my dad worked his face off for 30 years as a butcher shops manager to support our family. Now we got to open a new concept of modern/ high end butcher shop in which people can eat on site. One year after the opening, we got to acquire my dad's previous shop and we now have 1 butcher shop/restaurant + 1 butcher shop (which one making in the 7 figures/ year). Even though we are considered as a success story (which I happen to present at regional business events), butcher shops are not "powerful system" from the strategic angle. It's entirely people-dependent and almost unscalable (for now).

I would love to douple down on this project and make it a GaryVee-like success story. The trend for high quality / dry aged meat is almost as big as the veganism trend! But I'm afraid to realize in 3-5 years that I put all my efforts into a venture which will just close down when my dad will no longer be able to work 18 hours a day.

Finally, my content creation and marketing projects could have a real impact locally or in the french speaking world (which is very niche compared to the english-speaking world).Thanks to this "hobby-system" I pretty much had and still have access to many personalities, successful entrepreneur, influencers (which is further emphasized by my elite student status).

That's my starting point. I'm extremely grateful for my situation but I'm also extremely frustrated to have so many resources and possibilities without being to clarify which system to focus on and to turn into an actual fast lane project.

Obviously, until this "starting point" that I'm presenting, I've been learning and working hard for several years and I'll be happy to share insights on a variety of topics, especially high-performance and entrepreneurship!

If you have any thoughts on how to prioritize the projects I've described, let's chat about it!

Thanks for your attention and see you soon on the forum.

Exo

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
Welcome! You seem to be on a great track already.

Curious to learn how the podcast has helped you? Has it given you interesting opportunities? I've been thinking about doing something similar.

Exodor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 11, 2019
Thanks for your answer!

So, my co-host and I are addict to learning and interviewing so it's kind of a dream hobby especially when you get to network and spend time with people you used to (and still) admire. And sharing/ teaching content based on books or academic stuff is like learning/ internalizing on steroids.

Regarding opportunities, we had couple of digital marketing mandates but the bulk of opportunities were more like "social capital" i.e. events, connections and so on.

The podcast is more than one year old, 70 episodes. Really nothing compared to the english-speaking world but we believe in the "entrepreneurship/ self-growth" trend and we are positioning ourselves for the long-run.

We are not planning to sell the typical online course to our audience, we are looking further with our (formal) consulting perspective. We are more interested in B2B...

One more thing: it's work-intensive so make sure it's a "passion project" ;)

Exo

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I applied to McKinsey several years ago. They said I wasn't good/smart enough for them (my words). It's one of the things that drives me to this day. I look forward to the day they "apply" to consult for my business.

Welcome to the forum!

Exodor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 11, 2019
Thanks for your reply! I knew I would find other driven individuals here, whatever the source of the drive, I always find it stimulating to be around such energy.

I obviously used such company names to paint a clear picture of what a career post "target school" is likely to look like if I keep on this track without establishing something solid on my own.

I honestly see some value in consulting, especially to learn but it's my fallback plan so far.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...