The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating the MVP with minimal Coding Experience

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
If this is the wrong sub let me know and I can delete and move this elsewhere.

How do you move forward with an idea if you aren't exactly sure what the correct solution would be?

I have worked in the same industry (HVAC commercial/industrial equipment) for about 15 years and I've had a problem that has been staring me in the face for the past 6-8 of them. There is a certain process that desperately needs a scheduling software solution.

Every time I google for a solution I get these highly complicated ERP systems or something like Microsoft Project that just has way too many layers for what I'm looking for. I need a MS Project lite, that can be used for high level fast scheduling without hundreds of data points behind the scenes. I don't need that level of detail, just something that can have data entered quickly, and will show a quick visual glance at the status of multiple projects (anywhere from 50-100) . MS Project was a ton of data per project, and it would have taken a very long time to update each step of the process.

I understand coding and have done some very light coding in my past, but nothing that I could build a web based scheduling software. And I also don't even know the exact right solution, I just know what I don't want.

The multiple connections I have in the industry that need this type of software all say they've looked around but never found a good solution and just use excel/outlook calendars.

How can I build the MVP product to at least gauge market interest and start that process? Is it as simple as a landing page with some copy and an infomercial of someone clicking 120 times and then spilling coffee on their keyboard? (not really)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SharpeningBlade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
May 26, 2021
San Francisco, CA
How much of your time are you willing to sacrifice to get this done, or how much are you willing to pay?

I have been building a web development / SaaS business and would he happy to do a free 30 min consult with you to figure out your needs. It may be more easy to implement than you think!

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
If this is the wrong sub let me know and I can delete and move this elsewhere.

How do you move forward with an idea if you aren't exactly sure what the correct solution would be?

I have worked in the same industry (HVAC commercial/industrial equipment) for about 15 years and I've had a problem that has been staring me in the face for the past 6-8 of them. There is a certain process that desperately needs a scheduling software solution.

Every time I google for a solution I get these highly complicated ERP systems or something like Microsoft Project that just has way too many layers for what I'm looking for. I need a MS Project lite, that can be used for high level fast scheduling without hundreds of data points behind the scenes. I don't need that level of detail, just something that can have data entered quickly, and will show a quick visual glance at the status of multiple projects (anywhere from 50-100) . MS Project was a ton of data per project, and it would have taken a very long time to update each step of the process.

I understand coding and have done some very light coding in my past, but nothing that I could build a web based scheduling software. And I also don't even know the exact right solution, I just know what I don't want.

The multiple connections I have in the industry that need this type of software all say they've looked around but never found a good solution and just use excel/outlook calendars.

How can I build the MVP product to at least gauge market interest and start that process? Is it as simple as a landing page with some copy and an infomercial of someone clicking 120 times and then spilling coffee on their keyboard? (not really)
First you need to decide what are the core features of MVP , what is your main features that will solve the solution you want. without scoping your project you will lose the end point and keep adding more features.
second decide what technology you should go with .
third, most likely your MVP will be your product , as usually there is no time to rewrite from ground another product, so make sure it is not too much bad from design and coding prospective.

Start implementation.
Contact me if you want more details.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada

Don't overthink things.

If you have connections and industry experience this is your edge.

Look at this as a two step process for now.

Step 1:

Create something super simple (like a powerpoint/google slides) describing what the software would do and roughly how it would work. No need to learn more tools at this point.

Contact the connections one at a time and ask if you could present something you're thinking about building and would like to get their feedback and if they are interested they could use/shape the solution.

If they are interested ask if they'd like to be part of a beta program. You'd build the software and they would help you shape with their feedback.

Step 2:

If they are interested then you can move onto mockups, prototype, etc all while getting feedback during the way. At this point you'll have to start refining your requirements for MVP, making sure you produce a solution that works for everyone and not focusing on edge cases that some of your customers may have, this is a skill in itself. Then if you don't have the experience to build it you'll have to hire a dev team, etc.

This is the process I followed to get beta testers for my SAAS. I built myself in step 2 since I have substantial dev experience but IMO you shouldn't be thinking of building right now and just be focused on step 1.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.