The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Confused and lost, wandered for a few years, but getting there.

pkcreates

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 19, 2020
Hi :)

I have been a lurker for the last couple of weeks, and really felt that this forum is different from other ones I have visited for business/ start-up advice, with awesome stories from many folks here.

My Story:

31-year-old male, was an engineer by education and worked in engineering for 4 years. But never felt satisfied, the pay was good, but work did not inspire me much. I tried a couple of businesses once as a freelance consultant for renewable energy and a music production company. But having ‘ cooler than thou’ attitude never helped, which resulted in me ignoring foundations of good business.

In the back of my mind, I never wanted 500 Million, but a good life enjoying my work and the finer things in life. In the last 4 years, I was searching intensively for different kind of work, and kept jumping from engineering to marketing and back to engineering while trying to run the businesses I mentioned. Having to move across different countries made it slightly convenient to change my line of work, but I always had to start anew. Fast forward in 2019, I moved to Canada and landed a job as an engineer, as it seemed like the safest option to set up myself in a new country. Again the money was good, but I was not satisfied in this career, I tried to take advice from others but always got discouraging feedback. Be happy and grateful, you landed a well-paying job right away, which people would kill for.

In 2020, I received offers to produce music tracks for films, which I did. But after trying to make this thing work over the last 3 years, I never made more than 3k, hence I decided to let go of it of my music producer dream ( mostly craving for fame) and keep playing music casually. But in that period, I started writing short stories and was really excited to sit in front of my laptop everyday ( even more than producing music), as I had a lot of time during lockdown. Towards the tail end of my first wave, I was laid off from my engineering job. I followed the usual pattern of grief; was sad for a week, angry and blamed others instead of looking within myself. Scared at the same time, how will I pay rent specially during covid when its difficult to get job. I started doing food delivery for some time and looked for career inspiration through videos & blogs but after that I kind of realized that this is what I wanted and I have been thrown in the deep end, now I need to find a line of work which I will really enjoy.

I took a break from everything and would spend time in nature contemplating what kind of work I have really enjoyed whether it was during internship or my entrepreneurial attempts. Viola, month after getting laid off, I wanted to work in sales. Right away I took action and found a mentor, who provided a crash course in tech sales. In Nov 2020( 3 months after getting laid off), I landed a job in sales at a tech startup.

My goals for 2021

Complete the novel I started, now at 15k words.

Become an account executive at my tech company.

PS: I know my story might sound like lot of things crammed in, but I have wandered a lot in the last 5 years, but I feel at a good place with my current side hustle of writing a book and job.

Onwards and upwards from here :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Adir Barak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Dec 20, 2020
Hi :)

I have been a lurker for the last couple of weeks, and really felt that this forum is different from other ones I have visited for business/ start-up advice, with awesome stories from many folks here.

My Story:

31-year-old male, was an engineer by education and worked in engineering for 4 years. But never felt satisfied, the pay was good, but work did not inspire me much. I tried a couple of businesses once as a freelance consultant for renewable energy and a music production company. But having ‘ cooler than thou’ attitude never helped, which resulted in me ignoring foundations of good business.

In the back of my mind, I never wanted 500 Million, but a good life enjoying my work and the finer things in life. In the last 4 years, I was searching intensively for different kind of work, and kept jumping from engineering to marketing and back to engineering while trying to run the businesses I mentioned. Having to move across different countries made it slightly convenient to change my line of work, but I always had to start anew. Fast forward in 2019, I moved to Canada and landed a job as an engineer, as it seemed like the safest option to set up myself in a new country. Again the money was good, but I was not satisfied in this career, I tried to take advice from others but always got discouraging feedback. Be happy and grateful, you landed a well-paying job right away, which people would kill for.

In 2020, I received offers to produce music tracks for films, which I did. But after trying to make this thing work over the last 3 years, I never made more than 3k, hence I decided to let go of it of my music producer dream ( mostly craving for fame) and keep playing music casually. But in that period, I started writing short stories and was really excited to sit in front of my laptop everyday ( even more than producing music), as I had a lot of time during lockdown. Towards the tail end of my first wave, I was laid off from my engineering job. I followed the usual pattern of grief; was sad for a week, angry and blamed others instead of looking within myself. Scared at the same time, how will I pay rent specially during covid when its difficult to get job. I started doing food delivery for some time and looked for career inspiration through videos & blogs but after that I kind of realized that this is what I wanted and I have been thrown in the deep end, now I need to find a line of work which I will really enjoy.

I took a break from everything and would spend time in nature contemplating what kind of work I have really enjoyed whether it was during internship or my entrepreneurial attempts. Viola, month after getting laid off, I wanted to work in sales. Right away I took action and found a mentor, who provided a crash course in tech sales. In Nov 2020( 3 months after getting laid off), I landed a job in sales at a tech startup.

My goals for 2021

Complete the novel I started, now at 15k words.

Become an account executive at my tech company.

PS: I know my story might sound like lot of things crammed in, but I have wandered a lot in the last 5 years, but I feel at a good place with my current side hustle of writing a book and job.

Onwards and upwards from here :)
It sounds to me that you are getting back on your feet, and already setting your eyes on the horizon which is great.
I do think that you should focus on the job for skills and short term money making but focus your efforts on building a business or at least another money system. Try making your passion for writing your motivation to be set free from the rat race and as a reward for doing WHAT'S NEED TO BE DONE in your day to day life (e.g done good in sales or at nurturing your money tree - take extra time for writing and recharge your passion drive)

pkcreates

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 19, 2020
It sounds to me that you are getting back on your feet, and already setting your eyes on the horizon which is great.
I do think that you should focus on the job for skills and short term money making but focus your efforts on building a business or at least another money system. Try making your passion for writing your motivation to be set free from the rat race and as a reward for doing WHAT'S NEED TO BE DONE in your day to day life (e.g done good in sales or at nurturing your money tree - take extra time for writing and recharge your passion drive)
Good advice Adir, I am trying to be more regular with writing. But since I have started job, I am struggling to do it everyday. Focusing on more on word goals for the week, I set. After work gym and dinner, I have very little creative energy to write. I am using the gym analogy, to slowly build my work capacity for my side hustle. Any tips, to help with that?
Also curious, do you have any side hustle or passion outside of your work? Or do you run a business?

Adir Barak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Dec 20, 2020
Good advice Adir, I am trying to be more regular with writing. But since I have started job, I am struggling to do it everyday. Focusing on more on word goals for the week, I set. After work gym and dinner, I have very little creative energy to write. I am using the gym analogy, to slowly build my work capacity for my side hustle. Any tips, to help with that?
Also curious, do you have any side hustle or passion outside of your work? Or do you run a business?
I currently work a shitty job which pays nothing but on the other hand lets me have time to read, think and explore so right now I see the value of it in TIME.
My true passion is music, me and my brother are working on a music project which is pretty much a "business" (more like a startup because competition is almost infinite and it's very hard to find ways to become part of peoples lives - much like a book). Anyway, doing so without money is even harder, so I've decided to take control over my life and future and embark on the journey of entrepreneurship - I've only just begun so no business YET.
I'm constantly torn between putting time and effort into music or putting it into business. That's why when I saw your post it striked me that writing for you is like music for me - a passion that is pretty much a gamble financially, but necessary for the soul. As time passes I tend to think business and a money system is vital to first attain the freedom and resources to make my dreams and passion a reality.

Sorry for the very long, almost selfish reply but I guess I had to get it out of my system.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pkcreates

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 19, 2020
I currently work a shitty job which pays nothing but on the other hand lets me have time to read, think and explore so right now I see the value of it in TIME.
My true passion is music, me and my brother are working on a music project which is pretty much a "business" (more like a startup because competition is almost infinite and it's very hard to find ways to become part of peoples lives - much like a book). Anyway, doing so without money is even harder, so I've decided to take control over my life and future and embark on the journey of entrepreneurship - I've only just begun so no business YET.
I'm constantly torn between putting time and effort into music or putting it into business. That's why when I saw your post it striked me that writing for you is like music for me - a passion that is pretty much a gamble financially, but necessary for the soul. As time passes I tend to think business and a money system is vital to first attain the freedom and resources to make my dreams and passion a reality.

Sorry for the very long, almost selfish reply but I guess I had to get it out of my system.
No worries man, we are here to help each other. I actually did music production for a while, so I can relate. Only advice I have regarding that is collaborate, I shied away from it for a long time, but I think in today's scenario that is the best way to get your music out there. Hope it helps. Good luck! And keep making music

Adir Barak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Dec 20, 2020
No worries man, we are here to help each other. I actually did music production for a while, so I can relate. Only advice I have regarding that is collaborate, I shied away from it for a long time, but I think in today's scenario that is the best way to get your music out there. Hope it helps. Good luck! And keep making music
Yea I also thought that collabing is probably a better way to get started, will see how it goes :p thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...