The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

CI & CD "Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment" in Everyday Life?

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
If you're not a developer, or maybe you are but haven't heard of that phrase yet... you might've read the thread title and thought, "What the hell does that mean?".

In development terms, continuous integration and continuous deployment are when multiple developers can "check-in" their code that they've been working on into their source code manager, kind of like a home for code, and have no issues merging the code. The entire process is automated, tests are run to make sure the code that they're checking in does not have any issues, and if everything is okay, with a click of a button that code can be deployed to thousands of clients.

Basically a lot of automation, making life easier for developers and those dealing with operations.

Now you might be asking what does this thread having anything to do with entrepreneurship or the Fastlane?

Well, I have a question and although I don't have an answer for it, maybe it can be a discussion.

How do we take the principles of Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment and make our every day and/or financial lives easier?

What systems can we put in place that'll help us automate the manual things and make our decisions more reliable and safe?

Can CI & CD principles be applied to budgeting? Investing? Saving?

I definitely feel like I'm going to lose a lot of people on this thread, just because not everyone deals with CI & CD, but I wanted to write this thread so that I can maybe come back later after thinking more about it and how we can apply it to more places than just development.

What are some things you automate in your daily life? Things that make your decisions more safe and reliable?

I know from each paycheck, depending on my situation, I either put 30% (Minimum) or 50% (Max) into another account for my emergency fund and the rest would go into my daily spending account. Maybe I can automate that so I don't really have to think about that, calculating the numbers, etc... Every time I receive a paycheck I just choose either 30% or 50% and it does it for me.

Maybe I set a limit that I can't spend a certain amount per day and if I'm trying to an alert pops up if I want to continue or not...

As CI & CD is something I'm learning more and more every day, I really feel like I can apply it to other parts of my life. And it's something that I'll keep learning about.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Your idea reminds me of Charlie Munger - Wikipedia .

In short this guy (who is Warren Buffet's business partner) has a list of biases to look for in a new deal.

He evaluates and see if a new company, to be invested in or be bought, have those biases and filters them.
I assume that if those biases are found then the deal is less probably to go through.

babyballer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jul 16, 2018
If you're not a developer, or maybe you are but haven't heard of that phrase yet... you might've read the thread title and thought, "What the hell does that mean?".

In development terms, continuous integration and continuous deployment are when multiple developers can "check-in" their code that they've been working on into their source code manager, kind of like a home for code, and have no issues merging the code. The entire process is automated, tests are run to make sure the code that they're checking in does not have any issues, and if everything is okay, with a click of a button that code can be deployed to thousands of clients.

Basically a lot of automation, making life easier for developers and those dealing with operations.

Now you might be asking what does this thread having anything to do with entrepreneurship or the Fastlane?

Well, I have a question and although I don't have an answer for it, maybe it can be a discussion.

How do we take the principles of Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment and make our every day and/or financial lives easier?

What systems can we put in place that'll help us automate the manual things and make our decisions more reliable and safe?

Can CI & CD principles be applied to budgeting? Investing? Saving?

I definitely feel like I'm going to lose a lot of people on this thread, just because not everyone deals with CI & CD, but I wanted to write this thread so that I can maybe come back later after thinking more about it and how we can apply it to more places than just development.

What are some things you automate in your daily life? Things that make your decisions more safe and reliable?

I know from each paycheck, depending on my situation, I either put 30% (Minimum) or 50% (Max) into another account for my emergency fund and the rest would go into my daily spending account. Maybe I can automate that so I don't really have to think about that, calculating the numbers, etc... Every time I receive a paycheck I just choose either 30% or 50% and it does it for me.

Maybe I set a limit that I can't spend a certain amount per day and if I'm trying to an alert pops up if I want to continue or not...

As CI & CD is something I'm learning more and more every day, I really feel like I can apply it to other parts of my life. And it's something that I'll keep learning about.

I am in working this space e.g. Docker, Terraform, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Pivotal, etc. To be honest, I can tell you that none of us take CI/CD concept and apply it into real life. At least not that I know of. Efficiency and effectiveness are exciting to me. All my bill payments (monthly rent, utilities, insurance, phone bills, etc) are automated. Having said that, I failed at automating my daily commute since the system couldn't get drivers going to the same direction. Hence, I am looking to rent next to the office.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.