The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bringing Back U.S. manufacturing

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
I've had success at launching several Ecom products on amazon, and shopify stores. Just cheap little trinkets that don't really add much value, but people buy them. I have now turned my attention to a more sustainable business model, as well as something that matters to me... U.S. manufacturing, we have gutted our manufacturing sector all in the name of cheap goods for cheap prices. I've always hated this, and wanted to do something about it. So now I am. My cousin and I have started a venture company where we launch CPG brands on amazon and our own websites. However the products are designed, and manufactured entirely here in the U.S.

For our first product, it was very hard to find a manufacturer for, but we did it. All the parts are made in the U.S. and all the materials are sourced here as well. Our plan is to launch several brands for the year of 2023, and keep going, that way when each brand takes off, it can be acquired and we don't need to worry about starting a whole new company. We will have several brands under our LLC's umbrella. Our first product launch is on Jan 3rd.

Its very important that we bring manufacturing back to the states, for the name of the economy, as well as national security. If you look at all of musk's companies. They all manufacture their products in the U.S. Tesla is the most American made car. All of space X's stuff is manufactured in the U.S., If we're going to bring back manufacturing in the U.S. It starts with one company at a time.

I've started this thread to track our progress, as well as I want to give a big update at the end of next year on our progress. I tried launching an E-service and it didn't go to well. But launching products, I know what I'm doing.

If any of you know of manufactures in the U.S. that make CPG's please let me know, and we may use them for a different product.

Also I want to leave you guys with a challenge. If you own a company that sells goods, that are produced in other countries. I challenge you to find a U.S. manufacturer, and get the products made here, yes it may be more expensive, but the products will be higher quality, and you can get them quicker. Also having a domestic supplier is a better long term strat for the security of your company.

I will be giving an update on how the first product launch went.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Good for you! I hope you have massive success. I've been thinking of CPG for the past 2 years and I think it's a smart move now and looking forward. I'm researching something to manufacture here in the U.S. as well.

Looking forward to your progress.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Price is not the point.
Quality is.
There is a huge customer base for American made goods.
If you build it they will come.
All of our products we manufacture are made in the USA.
And we have no problem selling!
Good luck!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Price is not the point.
Quality is.
Good luck!

Great to see you here Randall!

Expanding on this, do you think it makes more sense to make physically larger goods here because of the logistics of moving such items?

I know you do well with items of all sizes. I have always just figured that physically larger stuff, with America as the final consumer destination, in particular is probably where American manufacturing is the most competitive.

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Price is not the point.
Quality is.
Good luck!
Exactly, I can see a turning point coming when consumers are tired of cheap, poor quality items. They'll start turning towards American made goods, which cost a little more, but last longer, and are higher quality. Also who doesnt want to support their nations economy as well.

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ

Expanding on this, do you think it makes more sense to make physically larger goods here because of the logistics of moving such items?

I know you do well with items of all sizes. I have always just figured that physically larger stuff, with America as the final consumer destination, in particular is probably where American manufacturing is the most competitive.
I imagine companies are starting to realize its the smarter choice to manufacture those kinds of items here. Especially with the rising energy rates across the globe. Shipping things is getting more expensive. That's why Japanese auto manufacturers have started building plants here. As well as electronics manufacturers like Foxconn and intel.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest

I really think the only way we can remain competitive in certain industries like light/heavy manufacturing is to focus on robotics and less on labor/manpower.

It is akin to a 3rd world country making the decision to either bury thousands of miles of phone cable for hardline or just to construct cell towers and generate signals through the air.

What can we do to leapfrog manufacturing past low-cost labor intensive operations and develop AI assembling or other economical mass-production?

We need more than 'information only' champions in this country. We need world-class PRODUCERS and FABRICATORS to bring back our manufacturing, no matter if it is a Bic fountain pen or a Cessna Citation Latitude. We need to focus on figuring out how to deliver the end product with less labor because that is the primary difference between Western and Eastern manufacturing. It is no different than figuring out how to produce more energy with less energy. Scale manufacturing with less human parts. That is the only way we can win the war on our own turf.

Part of the equation is building THE STORY behind the brand. The story is as important as the product itself, because it is the brand. In fact, one can have a great story and a mediocre product. Having a great story coupled with an amazing (product) brand is a winner. Anything Made in the USA already has a head start for a great story...

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I've had success at launching several Ecom products on amazon, and shopify stores. Just cheap little trinkets that don't really add much value, but people buy them. I have now turned my attention to a more sustainable business model, as well as something that matters to me... U.S. manufacturing, we have gutted our manufacturing sector all in the name of cheap goods for cheap prices. I've always hated this, and wanted to do something about it. So now I am. My cousin and I have started a venture company where we launch CPG brands on amazon and our own websites. However the products are designed, and manufactured entirely here in the U.S.

For our first product, it was very hard to find a manufacturer for, but we did it. All the parts are made in the U.S. and all the materials are sourced here as well. Our plan is to launch several brands for the year of 2023, and keep going, that way when each brand takes off, it can be acquired and we don't need to worry about starting a whole new company. We will have several brands under our LLC's umbrella. Our first product launch is on Jan 3rd.

Its very important that we bring manufacturing back to the states, for the name of the economy, as well as national security. If you look at all of musk's companies. They all manufacture their products in the U.S. Tesla is the most American made car. All of space X's stuff is manufactured in the U.S., If we're going to bring back manufacturing in the U.S. It starts with one company at a time.

I've started this thread to track our progress, as well as I want to give a big update at the end of next year on our progress. I tried launching an E-service and it didn't go to well. But launching products, I know what I'm doing.

If any of you know of manufactures in the U.S. that make CPG's please let me know, and we may use them for a different product.

Also I want to leave you guys with a challenge. If you own a company that sells goods, that are produced in other countries. I challenge you to find a U.S. manufacturer, and get the products made here, yes it may be more expensive, but the products will be higher quality, and you can get them quicker. Also having a domestic supplier is a better long term strat for the security of your company.

I will be giving an update on how the first product launch went.
Hello,
Do these guys do the sort of thing that you are looking for?

I bought a few items from them a few years ago and I liked them. (A wallet and a couple of tumblers)

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
We were fooled...

As per my first post in this thread, I own an Ecom company that sells high quality goods made in the U.S. So you can imagine my surprise when we opened up our inventory from the American supplier, and the products were stamped with the infamous "Made In China"

Before we chose them as our supplier, I asked them multiple times if they manufacture the products in the states and the sales rep told me yes every time. I don't know what her game is, but they have ruined a relationship that was going to make them a lot of money. I spoke with her on the phone about it, but the call is irrelevant, there is nothing we can do about it now, Its time to move on. I've liquidated the inventory to a friend who sells on amazon. So it won't go to waste.

Looking forward, what's your guy's advice on how to find reputable manufacturers in the U.S. and are you aware of any. I will make sure to never make a mistake like this again. This is only an obstacle on the journey to help restore American manufacturing. I hope you guys can follow along, and learn from my mistakes, and choices.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I challenge you to find a U.S. manufacturer, and get the products made here, yes it may be more expensive, but the products will be higher quality
This is absolutely not true. The main difference between a US manufacturer and one overseas now is that a person in the US is pushing the button to the machine.

The manufacturers in China have access to the same machine that is going to be mass producing your product here or in China. Ironically the machine producing your product here is probably made in China. Also, even if the manufacturing is done here, the materials will most likely come from overseas.

There are no companies in the US making raw materials anymore. I’d challenge to source the individual parts for your product and see if you can find any made in the US.

When I started my e-commerce business, I searched for a US manufacturer. I found one and their quality was so bad. They were expensive and I don’t think they took me seriously. Their MOQs are also very very high.

In looking for another manufacturer here, I would suggest that once you are in contact with one that you fly out and visit their factory before placing any orders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
We were fooled...

As per my first post in this thread, I own an Ecom company that sells high quality goods made in the U.S. So you can imagine my surprise when we opened up our inventory from the American supplier, and the products were stamped with the infamous "Made In China"
I’m curious as to what your order quantity was. It should be a red flag if it is too low. And too low meaning being equal with a China minimum order quantity. Lol

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
I’m curious as to what your order quantity was. It should be a red flag if it is too low. And too low meaning being equal with a China minimum order quantity. Lol
The order MOQ was 500 units. However we did 1,000

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
In looking for another manufacturer here, I would suggest that once you are in contact with one that you fly out and visit their factory before placing any orders.
I agree, when I find a supplier, I'm going to request to check out their facility. I know it's difficult to find manufacturers in the U.S. for non food products. But theres still a few good companies here manufacturing goods. bringing back our raw material industries and machine building industries are very important. I think with just the start of a few entrepreneurs with lot of money, we can start bringing back all the necessary industries to be self sustaining again. Besides sourcing raw materials. If they're not in the U.S. soil, then theres nothing we can do there.

wyai

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 7, 2023
I'd be interested to know how you aligned your costing with the context - made in the U.S. - ?

If your supplier really produces in the USA, his higher costs must be reflected in your purchase price.

In need of another supplier: Just put a pricetag on it. As soon as you pay for info, you'll find easier the info. (Don't know, what it would be worth to you.)

E.g. 100 $ Reward if the supplier a person refers to fits your expectations. (but not in this forum, might be against the rules?)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The order MOQ was 500 units. However we did 1,000
US suppliers usually have a super high MOQ. If that were me the 500 units would have been a red flag.

When I was looking US suppliers wanted 5000 or 10,000 units before they would even think about converting part of their factory to making products for me. Chinese suppliers would do 100 units as a test run lol.

I’ll give you an example. I was trying to get the leather leashes made in the US. If you wanted leather from cows in the US versus cows overseas, and brass clasps made here. The quote was $25 a leash with 5,000 MOQ. Contrast to getting them from Pakistan for $6 with MOQ 500. There’s just no way to make it work numbers wise. $125k vs $3k initial order!?!?

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I agree with the previous statement about the US needing to focus more on robotics and automation to stay competitive.

I'm actually an industrial automation technician for a dairy product manufacturing company. I think food products and large bulky products are something that the US could maybe have a competitive edge in.

I just try to think of what things I could manufacture with my automation/plc programming knowledge that would actually be cost competitive...

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
We are no longer looking to launch brands. I got tired of bouncing from idea to idea, and trying to find suppliers. I discovered a website called acquire, where people are selling their Ecom businesses.

As I stated at the beginning of the thread, the plan for our company is to have tons of brands in different industries and niches. Like a venture capital firm, except for we outright own all the brands in our portfolio. So it was very convenient when I found out I can just buy brands, and grow them.

We have decided to purchase two different brands at the moment. One in the baby/toddler industry, and one in the fitness industry. Acquire has made the buying process really simple and easy. Both deals should be finalized within a week or two. For one of the brands, the products are already made in the U.S. However the fitness products aren't, but I've already started talking with manufacturers to start the process to get the products made in the U.S. I'm excited to get things going, and prove to people that U.S. products can be affordable and high quality, and its best that we bring manufacturing back home.

I will be keeping all you guys updated on the process, and what its like growing several brands at once. lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.