The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Brandname vs product name

Marketing, social media, advertising

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Hello people,

I am stuck on the following. I do e-commerce and right now I only sell 2 products on Amazon and don't have my own online shop or anything (planned for the future). I have not even chosen the niche that I want to work on for the long term and I am planning to sell more products that all belong to different niches, just to get cash flow coming in. That's why I chose a word as my brand name that doesn't mean anything and doesn't fit anywhere. An example of such a brand name would be for example ''Urudi'' or whatever.

I was thinking about following a similar strategy as Apple: Apple is the brand name and for each different product I would give a different unique product name. For example if we would follow the way Apple does it, we would for example call a blender ''Urudi TornadoBlend'' instead of a boring ''Urudi blender''. If people then look for ''blender'' on Amazon, then they would see many different listings with boring and non-sensible brand names. For example ''Urudi blender''. Something like ''Urudi TornadoBlend blender'' would stand out way more, especially with unique product images and packaging design.

I discussed this with a friend of mine and he said that especially as a small brand it would be better to just call it the ''Urudi blender'', to get recognition for your brand and also not confuse people by not making it clear what the brand name is: Urudi or Tornadoblend.

What would you guys advise me in this scenario? Give each product under the ''Urudi'' an unique productname or just call it ''Urudi blender'' for example.

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
Hello people,

I am stuck on the following. I do e-commerce and right now I only sell 2 products on Amazon and don't have my own online shop or anything (planned for the future). I have not even chosen the niche that I want to work on for the long term and I am planning to sell more products that all belong to different niches, just to get cash flow coming in. That's why I chose a word as my brand name that doesn't mean anything and doesn't fit anywhere. An example of such a brand name would be for example ''Urudi'' or whatever.

I was thinking about following a similar strategy as Apple: Apple is the brand name and for each different product I would give a different unique product name. For example if we would follow the way Apple does it, we would for example call a blender ''Urudi TornadoBlend'' instead of a boring ''Urudi blender''. If people then look for ''blender'' on Amazon, then they would see many different listings with boring and non-sensible brand names. For example ''Urudi blender''. Something like ''Urudi TornadoBlend blender'' would stand out way more, especially with unique product images and packaging design.

I discussed this with a friend of mine and he said that especially as a small brand it would be better to just call it the ''Urudi blender'', to get recognition for your brand and also not confuse people by not making it clear what the brand name is: Urudi or Tornadoblend.

What would you guys advise me in this scenario? Give each product under the ''Urudi'' an unique productname or just call it ''Urudi blender'' for example.

Thanks in advance!

Agreed. If you name it "Urudi blender" you compete with all the other blenders. If you name it "Urudi Tornadoblender" you create your own little thing that separates you more from the rest.

So I'd go with the more creative route.

Also go with your gut and follow your own intuition. Short term it probably doesn't mean much. But If you look at others and listen to others advice you might;
1) lose a bit of your own intrinsic motivation, drive and momentum
2) become more and more similar to all the others

which over time has a dramatic difference in the result

Last edited:

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Agreed. If you name it "Urudi blender" you compete with all the other blenders. If you name it "Urudi Tornadoblender" you create your own little thing that separates you more from the rest.

So I'd go with the more creative route.

Also go with your gut and follow your own intuition. If you look at others and listen to others advice you might;
1) lose a bit of your own intrinsic motivation, drive and momentum
2) become more and more similar to all the others
Thank you for your explanation! Would you then say it is okay to then have as product page title:
''Urudi Tornadoblend Blender 3 in 1 bla bla......''

Or would you instead do it like this?
''Tornadoblend Blender 3 in 1 bla bla''

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads