The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business name vs Product name

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
Hey everyone,

To give you some background, I have an idea for a product in the health supplement industry. I haven't heard of a product that combines the components I thought of including.

This morning I was trying to find a name for this future product, and I realized I should probably also find a company name, even though I will not introduce other products anytime soon. I'm a bit lost on if those two should be related or not, or if I should use the same name. Company name could be "***** Nutrition" while the product name would be in some ways related to its benefits...

Also could it be confusing for the potential customers and much harder to advertise my product if its name was different from the company name ?

I hope I was clear ( English is not my first language ), thank you for your help!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Hey everyone,

To give you some background, I have an idea for a product in the health supplement industry. I haven't heard of a product that combines the components I thought of including.

This morning I was trying to find a name for this future product, and I realized I should probably also find a company name, even though I will not introduce other products anytime soon. I'm a bit lost on if those two should be related or not, or if I should use the same name. Company name could be "***** Nutrition" while the product name would be in some ways related to its benefits...

Also could it be confusing for the potential customers and much harder to advertise my product if its name was different from the company name ?

I hope I was clear ( English is not my first language ), thank you for your help!

Try focusing on building the product and proving the concept first instead of wasting time thinking about the name.

#actiontaking instead of #actionfaking.

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
Try focusing on building the product and proving the concept first instead of wasting time thinking about the name.

#actiontaking instead of #actionfaking.

Thank you!
Yes that's one thing I learned while reading those forums.

I am currently learning about the supplements industry regulations in my country, but I started wondering about the same because I'll probably need to purchase the domain name and start working on a blog/website

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Thank you!
Yes that's one thing I learned while reading those forums.

I am currently learning about the supplements industry regulations in my country, but I started wondering about the same because I'll probably need to purchase the domain name and start working on a blog/website

And you are correct. But if you don't launch, you just wasted time and money doing all of these without any sales. (Trust me, I learned the hard way).

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
Health supplements is quite a leap from information systems.

I agree with @Greg Rutkowski, just START!

True, but I didn't pick the health supplements industry out of nowhere, that's something I discovered a few years ago and I can enjoy talking about it for hours.

Thank you for the advice.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
Please post a progress thread when you get into development. I'm always interested in talking supplements

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey everyone,

When I was in the development/testing/prototype stage I did not have a company name but already knew the product name. It was only after a couple months did I consider coming up with a company name. Now understand, I was doing all the work myself. I was not using a third party manufacturer to help develop the product. It was me in my kitchen like a mad scientist. With that said I do think if you are actively taking the proper actions it's okay to start brainstorming a company name as long as it is not distracting you from more important tasks.

FWIW, I do think you should have two separate names. One for the company and one for the product. Although in the supplement industry I think there are a few examples of both being the same.

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
Please post a progress thread when you get into development. I'm always interested in talking supplements

I will, I've read some of those threads and its a good motivation.

When I was in the development/testing/prototype stage I did not have a company name but already knew the product name. It was only after a couple months did I consider coming up with a company name. Now understand, I was doing all the work myself. I was not using a third party manufacturer to help develop the product. It was me in my kitchen like a mad scientist. With that said I do think if you are actively taking the proper actions it's okay to start brainstorming a company name as long as it is not distracting you from more important tasks.

FWIW, I do think you should have two separate names. One for the company and one for the product. Although in the supplement industry I think there are a few examples of both being the same.

When did you started using a third party manufacturer ?

I agree I think I'll have two different names. I am currently working on the components I will include in my supplements, and maybe I will order them separately so I can experiment in my kitchen. I'm not too focused on products and company names at this time, but I hope I will find one soon.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
When did you started using a third party manufacturer ?
Not sure off the top of my head. Maybe 10 months after my first sale? I made everything in house. BUT - I'm not in the supplement industry. I think you'll need to work with a manufacturer, or hire a chemist or supplement formulator to make sure you don't kill anyone. Upwork could be a good starting point.

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
Not sure off the top of my head. Maybe 10 months after my first sale? I made everything in house. BUT - I'm not in the supplement industry. I think you'll need to work with a manufacturer, or hire a chemist or supplement formulator to make sure you don't kill anyone. Upwork could be a good starting point.

Ok thank you.
Yeah I won't do anything in my house, I'll try to find a manufacturer that provides insurance ( I've read somewhere that this exists ). You stopped producing in your house because your sales volumes got higher and it was taking too much time ?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
You stopped producing in your house because your sales volumes got higher and it was taking too much time ?
Yes, I couldn't make the amount of product in the time frame I needed it. However, we recently took over the manufacturing of a large portion of our products when we moved into a warehouse/office space and purchased the proper equipment to manufacture on a much larger scale.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
For my first business, manufacturing specialty chemicals, the company name was the brand name. The name I chose was memorable, and in itself contained a sales message. The logo incorporated the name which was not distorted to make it suit the whim of a graphic artist.

That name and brand became well recognized in the industry, and was suitable for use in all the export markets where I sold.

See the label link in my signature. The book includes a chapter on brand names, logos, and slogans.

Walter

raddevon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 20, 2017
Seattle, WA USA
Have you heard of Basecamp? It is a popular project management SaaS. Previously, the company making it was called 37signals. They did consulting, Basecamp, and several other successful SaaS products.

A few years ago, they refocused on Basecamp exclusively and even changed the name of the company to Basecamp. Their co-founder Jason Fried wrote an article about the decision for Inc.

I agree with some of the other replies that you might not want to focus too much energy on this right now, but, when you are ready to think about it, the article might be useful.

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
Have you heard of Basecamp? It is a popular project management SaaS. Previously, the company making it was called 37signals. They did consulting, Basecamp, and several other successful SaaS products.

A few years ago, they refocused on Basecamp exclusively and even changed the name of the company to Basecamp. Their co-founder Jason Fried wrote an article about the decision for Inc.

I agree with some of the other replies that you might not want to focus too much energy on this right now, but, when you are ready to think about it, the article might be useful.

Interesting article. I think I would have used the same name if I was in this industry. However, I thought that in the health supplement industry, I need to chose a product name related to what the product does.

For example, theres a famous weight gainer called GIANT MEGA MASS. I think this name is perfectly fine, but it would be weird if Joe Weider decided to also use GIANT MEGA MASS as the name of the company. From my experience, people are okay with buying products from companies like "Biotech" or "Scitec nutrition" because it sounds serious, but on other forums boards you often reads products reviews, with comments like "This product looks fine but I'm not sure I can take pills from a company called "Rage monsterz labz "

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.