The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

BEWARE WINDOWS 10 S mode (- solution)

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
After buying a brilliant new notebook I gradually discovered that it was operating on the latest Windows iteration. The latest Windows 10 S is a beast!

The salesman didn't mention that the computer had that O/S, and it did not appear on the packaging. The purpose of S mode is supposedly to provide better protection and security. In reality its purpose is to prevent you from using any Apps except ones you buy from Microsoft.

After days of following the Microsoft maze instructions full of dead ends set up by Microsoft to obstruct or prevent users from getting rid of S mode, I finally happened upon this set of instructions from Microsoft and they actually worked! See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

I hope this helps others avoid the endless frustration of trying follow Microsoft's deliberately obscure instructions.

This is an example of a near monopoly exercising unconscionable power over their customers.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Not sure what's up with the poor product labeling, but this isn't as nefarious as you make it sound. Viruses, malware and security are a big deal. Especially in markets like education or much of corporate IT where users don't need to be able to install normal software. Locking things down to only approved apps limits exposure to viruses etc by a very large margin.

If you were a school looking to buy inexpensive laptops for its students, and you didn't want them to be able to do much of anything other than what you expressly permitted, you could either:

1) buy a more expensive laptop
2) configure it so that its fully locked down (a hassle)

or

Buy a $200 laptop with Windows S

which one would you pick?

That said, I'm sure that Microsoft doesn't mind that all software on these things has to come from the Microsoft Store

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Not sure what's up with the poor product labeling, but this isn't as nefarious as you make it sound. Viruses, malware and security are a big deal. Especially in markets like education or much of corporate IT where users don't need to be able to install normal software. Locking things down to only approved apps limits exposure to viruses etc by a very large margin.

If you were a school looking to buy inexpensive laptops for its students, and you didn't want them to be able to do much of anything other than what you expressly permitted, you could either:

or

That said, I'm sure that Microsoft doesn't mind that all software on these things has to come from the Microsoft Store
I have never had a problem with security because I have only used apps (now not acceptable to Microsoft) that have kept my computer safe. No viruses, no malware. I do not need to use Microsoft only apps, and I want the ability to choose for myself, not be dictated to by Microsoft.

Walter

Last edited:

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I have never had a problem with security because I have only used apps (now not acceptable to Microsoft) that have kept my computer safe. No viruses, no malware. I do not need to use Microsoft only apps, and I want to ability to choose for myself, not be dictated to by Microsoft.

Walter
yeah, so buy a laptop that doesn't have Windows S on it, which is admittedly a problem if its not clearly called out on the marketing materials prior to purchase. ...you can't even buy Windows S unless you buy a computer with it on it already, or have an education or corporate account with Microsoft.

G

Guest24480

or

Thing is, it's not really that much of a hassle in IT to provision laptops without local admin access and require admin rights to download software. This is all automated in most corporate environments. This was a consumer play from the start from Microsoft.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thing is, it's not really that much of a hassle in IT to provision laptops without local admin access and require admin rights to download software. This is all automated in most corporate environments. This was a consumer play from the start from Microsoft.

For people that want plug and play simplicity, this is a good way to go. Grandma, kids, schools, corporate where they don't have huge IT budgets, etc. Are there ulterior motives? Of course, but that's not the entirety of the situation here.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
No f'ing (excuse me) way! So they try to be another apple.

Gosh, i wonder if they'll convert whole windows ecosystem to it - and get 30% of every software sale like apple on iphones does.

(Thanks for heads up Walter, didn't know about S version before)

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I saved a ton of headaches from windows by switching to Linux.

Sorry, I had to. Linux users are almost as bad as crossfitters ... but at least I don't use Arch.

Occasionally problems come up, but the solutions are typically trivial and the freedom from assorted microsoft shitware is worth the minor occasional hassle.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I saved a ton of headaches from windows by switching to Linux.

Sorry, I had to. Linux users are almost as bad as crossfitters ... but at least I don't use Arch.

Occasionally problems come up, but the solutions are typically trivial and the freedom from assorted microsoft shitware is worth the minor occasional hassle.
If only..... As an almost completely non-tech person I would love to instal Linux but haven't a clue how to do it.

Although I removed the S program, I still suffer from Microsoft's upates wreaking havoc with some of my programs. Every time there is an update I lose some function that I am accustomed to using.

A Google search always finds an avalanche of complaints and questions on how to fix the problems caused by the latest update. Often the only answers by Microsoft are related to obsolete versions of Windows.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.