The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best tips on hiring?

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
OK, sorry I had to ask an embarrassing question like this that has probably been answered thousands of times, but I don't know what keywords to type in the search bar and I'm having trouble searching threads.

So, I'll ask for help. What are the best tips on hiring people to help other people? Or maybe there has been a good thread about hiring that I missed here? Or do I need to read a book? I got a copy of the Who Not How E-book, but I'm wondering if there is a more condensed and faster way to learn about hiring and trust issues. Thank you for your help and attention!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
OK, sorry I had to ask an embarrassing question like this that has probably been answered thousands of times, but I don't know what keywords to type in the search bar and I'm having trouble searching threads.

So, I'll ask for help. What are the best tips on hiring people to help other people? Or maybe there has been a good thread about hiring that I missed here? Or do I need to read a book? I got a copy of the Who Not How E-book, but I'm wondering if there is a more condensed and faster way to learn about hiring and trust issues. Thank you for your help and attention!
Why not use (or outsource this task to) professionals (employment experts, agiencies, etc) Now there are many new types of recruiters with very innovative approaches?

G

Guest116255

Take the potential employee out to eat. Assuming this is possible given your circumstances, taking someone out to eat can tell you plenty about them. It also makes the whole process less stressful for both the employer and potential employee. By watching potential employees eat, you can easily determine lack of manners, charisma, articulation, and much more. Adding to this, you can also observe small details which may tell you more about the person. One cue I look for is if the person automatically puts salt (especially in excess) on their food before even trying it. This may indicate that they are highly prone to creating assumptions before trying new things. You can also analyze how often they interrupt and if they are good listeners. Pulling all of this off in an interview can be quite difficult and stressful, hence, putting it in the environment of a relaxing or casual meal takes the heat off both people and allows for a more honest conversation.

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
Why not use (or outsource this task to) professionals (employment experts, agiencies, etc) Now there are many new types of recruiters with very innovative approaches?
And how do I hire them?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
What’s the job?

Usually this is best practice

1. Make sure the job posting is somewhere where it’ll get seen by the most people. Indeed is a good site.

2. Make it more attractive than other jobs. Search and compare listings. Why would someone work for you for 30k a year when a competitor pays 50k and it’s the same type of work?

3. Get a lot of applications, be a stereotypical dick who assumes everyone’s lying. Do a video interview and see them to see if they’re a degenerate or not. Save yourself lots of time this way.

4. When hiring, explain all of the negatives upfront and confirm it’s okay with them. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve hired people to mow lawns in Washington state and they said after I hired them that they didn’t think we would work in the rain. “Gtfo you stupid F*cking idiot it’s an outdoor job in Washington of course it’s going to rain”. Talk about things upfront and save yourself a bunch of time.

5. Important: confirm the pay schedule and when you give raises beforehand. Shitty employees asking for a $2 raise one week into the job happens all the time. So every time I hire people I let them know “there’s no raises for the first few months and if things work out they can expect a dollar an hour raise but no more within the year, and there’s no promises, only for people who deserve it. Sound good?”

6. Hiring liberals is usually a mistake. They all belong to the r/antiwork subreddit, they think capitalism (YOU, the boss) is shitty and they aren’t getting a fair shake, they will report you if not all of your stupid employment posters are posted in the right places and shit. You want to hire people with a firm handshake who don’t have purple hair, you want people who wear Romeo’s and never call out sick for a ‘mental health day’. Blows my mind why companies haven’t figured this out. All major companies are having people strike, dealing with unions, quiet quitting, etc. could be easily avoided. Don’t hire shitty entitled wimps.

Last edited:

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
What’s the job?

Usually this is best practice

1. Make sure the job posting is somewhere where it’ll get seen by the most people. Indeed is a good site.

2. Make it more attractive than other jobs. Search and compare listings. Why would someone work for you for 30k a year when a competitor pays 50k and it’s the same type of work?

3. Get a lot of applications, be a stereotypical dick who assumes everyone’s lying. Do a video interview and see them to see if they’re a degenerate or not. Save yourself lots of time this way.

6. Hiring liberals is usually a mistake. They all belong to the r/antiwork subreddit, they think capitalism (YOU, the boss) is shitty and they aren’t getting a fair shake, they will report you if not all of your stupid employment posters are posted in the right places and shit. You want to hire people with a firm handshake who don’t have purple hair, you want people who wear Romeo’s and never call out sick for a ‘mental health day’. Blows my mind why companies haven’t figured this out. All major companies are having people strike, dealing with unions, quiet quitting, etc. could be easily avoided. Don’t hire shitty entitled wimps.
What do you think about commission-based gigs for IRL projects for number 2? I don't live in the west, so I won't meet a liberal. However I'd meet people who share third-world traits, like meeting that minimum wage Upwork employee IRL.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
What do you think about commission-based gigs for IRL projects for number 2? I don't live in the west, so I won't meet a liberal. However I'd meet people who share third-world traits, like meeting that minimum wage Upwork employee IRL.
I don’t like commission because employees like safe bets, and I want to keep profits. Offer people a salary and I bet it’s less than what the commission total would end up being and you’ll get more applicants. People want to be guaranteed pay, even if it’s small. Very odd.

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
I don’t like commission because employees like safe bets, and I want to keep profits. Offer people a salary and I bet it’s less than what the commission total would end up being and you’ll get more applicants. People want to be guaranteed pay, even if it’s small. Very odd.
Hey I wanna ask, do you think employees tend to be problem-focused or do they just care about following orders, being given tasks and just doing it? Don't wanna offend them but, like robots?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hey I wanna ask, do you think employees tend to be problem-focused or do they just care about following orders, being given tasks and just doing it? Don't wanna offend them but, like robots?
No nothing like robots more like a set of 13 year old kids.

This is why middle aged moms do well at low level management jobs like at a McDonald’s or a Safeway.

What the F*ck does problem-focused employee mean? You’ve been reading LinkedIn virtue signaling posts again haven’t you?

Employees are very predictable as in they would love to be paid lots of money to not do anything. They are just like me. So naturally they will listen to anything you say and think “okay so how can I get around that a little bit and still get paid the same or a little more?”

Your job as an employer is to setup a situation where the best course of action for an employee is to just do the work and get paid in a straightforward way, with a decent amount of support and supervision so they stay efficient and on track. Then they’ll get into a rut and print you money once they are somewhat sufficient.

kommen

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 14, 2022
What the F*ck does problem-focused employee mean? You’ve been reading LinkedIn virtue signaling posts again haven’t you?
No, I mean should we tell them our end goals and should they understand why they're doing the work they're doing and how it helps solve problems?

Actually, I just answered my own question. I was asking if employees are generally better at problem solving than just following orders. Which obviously is no.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.