The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Being Productive During This Crisis

Anything related to matters of the mind

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
It's no secret we're in a strange time.

We're being told to stay in our homes and only leave if it's essential. We're being told that the way to"save the world" is to sit at home on the couch and watch TV.

"Your grandparents were called to war, You are called to sit on the couch and watch TV" they say.

What a load of shit. Is that really how we want to be thought of? Not as a courageous and brave society, but as a society of wussies and "better safe than sorry"?

This situation has obviously blindsided everyone. Goals and plans for March, April and probably May, will almost certainly not pan out the way anyone expected. Wether it's a concert, a revenue goal in your business, or even finding a job, You certainly weren't anticipating a worldwide shut down in your plans.

Then there's this article from the New York Times:

Jordan Belfort made a good video response to this article:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXzL7OzGG5k

*Note, I don't worship Jordan like a lot of people do, I just came across this video and found it insightful.

"Adam Hasham, 40, a product manager in Washington, said that it’s only a matter of time before more people realize that self-optimization in this time is futile. “I stopped seeing the light at the end of the tunnel,” he said, adding that his optimism about the situation had “gone out the window.”

"In this time."
Excuse.

You mean this time when you have all the time in the world and very little distraction? You can't go out to the bar with your friends, you can't blow money on a dinner out, You can't go sit at your friends house and play video games and drink beer.

You have all the time in the world, and people still make excuses.

“I set an hour on my cal every day for a home workout. Then I’d be on calls for three hours, then I’d make a homemade breakfast, take a walk at lunchtime, work on something non-screen-related in the evening, cook dinner and go on a run,” she said. So far, she admitted, “none of this has stuck.”

Did you try making it stick? What did you do instead of these things? Watch netflix? Nothing is open, how else could you procrastinate?

And to end the article off is this gem:

"Finding small pleasures helps, too. Mr. Bailey offered one suggestion: “Get yourself some Indian food and drink a bottle of wine with your spouse. We’re going through a lot and we all just need to take it easy.”

Be a productive human being? Nah, get drunk instead.

"2017 was a pustule of a year, politically and personally; the general anxiety around the degradation of American democracy made it hard to get much done. "

Are you really blaming the president (who has almost 0 effect on your day to day existence) on your lack of action? Maybe you should get of twitter and focus on your own shit show of a life, instead of on whos president, and not "orange man bad!"

How many people became millionaires in 2017? or started a successful business? Or lost weight/achieved their health goals. All under the same political climate that "made it hard to get much done"

All of this is just explaining away your responsibilities. It's giving lazy people validation, excuses to do nothing, and further perpetuate a victim mentality. And as you can see from the snippet above, we come up with some pretty creative excuses.

My point is this: No matter what, there's always an excuse.

When times were "good" a few weeks ago, Your excuse was "I don't have enough time". Now that you have even more time, You'll still claim "I don't have enough time"

Maybe your excuse is actually valid, Maybe you don't have a lot of money right now. Are you going to let that define you? Are you going to just roll over and give up until this all "passes over"? (Note: This will not be a situation where things just pass over in a couple weeks. The effects will last months and almost certainly, to some degree, the rest of 2020 and beyond).

Are you going to just postpone your life indefinitely until things get "better"? And god, please don't tell me you were "waiting for things to get better" a couple months ago. You didn't know how good you had it.

I'm writing this, not from a moral high ground, but from a position of laziness the past few weeks. I've gone through all of these excuses myself. I caught my self slipping into that dark hole of excusing away my responsibilities.

Don't let the Corona Virus be your excuse. Chances are it will have little to no effect on your life any way, and even if it does, You will get past it. The worst thing you can do is let people scare you so much that you stop living your life.

Do something with this time. Learn a new skill, Get a new business started (some inspiration), Take a course (The COVID 19 Mostly Free Stuff Thread). You can take some time to relax, but don't let this downtime become an excuse to do nothing all day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
We're being told to stay in our homes and only leave if it's essential. We're being told that the way to"save the world" is to sit at home on the couch and watch TV.

"Your grandparents were called to war, You are called to sit on the couch and watch TV" they say.

What a load of shit. Is that really how we want to be thought of? Not as a courageous and brave society, but as a society of wussies and "better safe than sorry"?
I can see how this wouldn't go over well for the younger generation. Although, I know coming from a Military family the sacrifices all my grandfather's paid in WWI, WWII, and my father and Uncle's in Vietnam, and even an Uncle MIA in the Korean War. I think for myself I've never been in the Military, nor my Millennial. We both don't know what that experience.

Fortunately, I don't take it personally, since the Corona Virus isn't a physical military war. And sure, my Grandfather and Grandmother were in the 1918 Influenza outbreak and was 1 years old. My Great Grand Parents were immigrants and farmers. 12 children on both Paternal and Maternal side. So obviously they worked on their farms, were isolated in that area, and didn't have television. Most likely they were baking, cleaning, playing board games, card games, taking care of farm animals, and gardening.

There not mentioning this fact that our ancestors were sitting around just perhaps on the front porch snapping peas or doing something different.

aeden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Feb 28, 2020
Melbourne, FL

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.