The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Are Microeconomics and Statistics Any Useful For Market Research?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

VicFountain

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 22, 2018
Hi guys.
I was wondering: has any of you benefitted from knowing microeconomics and statistics to do market research and to have a general idea of how profitable a market can be?

As I'm in university, I was wondering how I could apply what I study. Or are these a bunch of useless, impractical crap?
Thanks in advance.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

socaldude

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2012
Mexico
Yes the principles in these disciplines are useful and practical. You can use the principles in these sciences to predict markets.

Although i can understand your skepticism as when you learn these things in college its hard to tell if it can really be used in real life.

Im not a fan of academia nor do i despise it but it seems like they teach you how to memorize textbooks and take tests but not how to make money or how to self-actualize as a person.

Johnny boy

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hi guys.
I was wondering: has any of you benefitted from knowing microeconomics and statistics to do market research and to have a general idea of how profitable a market can be?

As I'm in university, I was wondering how I could apply what I study. Or are these a bunch of useless, impractical crap?
Thanks in advance.
It's the most useful class I ever had.

When I signed up lawn care customers for my lawn care business, I noticed the lack of price elasticity in residential lawn care meant I had a much higher ROAS (return on ad spend) by raising prices and avoiding commercial properties. I measured factors that moved my supply and demand curves in or out, and which were the most effective changes to make in my business that would result in maximizing profit (while minimizing my effort and overall mistakes).

Otherwise, school was a joke and I would suggest dropping out.

Kak

Who is John Galt?
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
Micro is way more useful in business and helpful in investing.

Macro is more about understanding monetary policy of the government. Not that helpful in business, but a little helpful in investing.

I have never used advanced statistics in my business. Basic everyday statistics? Sure.

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I have never used advanced statistics in my business. Basic everyday statistics? Sure.
+1
Sure as hell I won't be using OLS regression, simplex and ARIMA on a regular basis lol!

But simple hypothesis testing, and the role of benchmarks and cutoff points?
Yeah.

While it's the story behind the numbers that count, I sure won't be able to get any story at all, if I had nothing to check up on.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
It's the most useful class I ever had.

When I signed up lawn care customers for my lawn care business, I noticed the lack of price elasticity in residential lawn care meant I had a much higher ROAS (return on ad spend) by raising prices and avoiding commercial properties. I measured factors that moved my supply and demand curves in or out, and which were the most effective changes to make in my business that would result in maximizing profit (while minimizing my effort and overall mistakes).

Otherwise, school was a joke and I would suggest dropping out.
This.

Figuring out pricing is huge.

Also, the general thought process that micro impacts on you can do wonders.

When you start thinking of opportunity cost, etc., you'll make better use of your time and how you spend it. That decision making skill is essential to being successful.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Agree with comments about the value of understanding microeconomics for running your business.

As for statistics, it depends:
  • Probabilistic & expected-value thinking can be incredibly useful--especially for deciding whether to pursue opportunities.
  • Advanced statistical methods (e.g., regression, data mining, etc.) tend to be used more when you're building a data-as-a-service or doing quant-based investing (like Renaissance Technologies--which has generated billions of dollars using advanced statistics).

Martin.G

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
Anyone knows any good book about micro? I always read a lot about macro, but almost nothing about microeconomics

Kak

Who is John Galt?
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
Anyone knows any good book about micro? I always read a lot about macro, but almost nothing about microeconomics
I would honestly find some kind of online course for it if I were you. iTunesU has a free course that seems VERY in depth from saylor.org

I am actually kind of shocked that you see more about macro than micro... Micro is almost totally built on the foundation of simple supply and demand and concepts like opportunity cost and elasticity.

Micro is SO much better than macro for business owners.

Last edited:

Martin.G

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I would honestly find some kind of online course for it if I were you.

I am actually kind of shocked that you see more about macro than micro... Micro is almost totally built on the foundation of simple supply and demand.
I read a lot about macro because I really enjoy it, and not with a business purpose. I am going to start looking for an online course then, thanks.

Reactions: Kak

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Advanced Upwork Proposals II IS FINALLY LIVE! Here's a look at what's inside: Improved YOU...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In its infancy, we...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock