The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone dealt with hair loss/tried treatment?

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Just wondering, i see hair loss and hair thinning on top of my head. I heard the treatment for it is rogaine 5% and propecia. I just have questions about propecia as i heard it can decrease sex drive, sperm count, and questionable increases risk for cancer? Is my research correct, or anyone can clarify?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Just wondering, i see hair loss and hair thinning on top of my head. I heard the treatment for it is rogaine 5% and propecia. I just have questions about propecia as i heard it can decrease sex drive, sperm count, and questionable increases risk for cancer? Is my research correct, or anyone can clarify?
EXCESSIVE DRINKING, NOT MALE PATTERNED BALDNESS, IS OFTEN THE REASON FOR THINNING HAIR AT ANY AGE. IN MEN AND WOMEN.

Fight the loss of hair follicles at ground zero.
1. More sleep less stress.
2. More sunlight (D) and iron.
3. More fatty acids and omegas
4. No hair goop, sprays and harsh shampoos. Watch what happens in 2 months.
5. No more tightly bound hair.
6. Stimulate scalp with a hair brush even where hair is now only fuzz
7. Massage scalp with used coffee grounds in shower to break up damaging scalp debris
8. Rosemary oil restores hair growth big time
9. All natural shampoo and hair products.
10. Drink a little beer. Or apply directly to scalp.
11. Cut down on alcohol drinking because it causes hair loss.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I take propecia. It works pretty good. I have gotten a half inch of hairline back in 3 months and it keeps coming.

No side effects whatsoever for me.

My understanding is that it can hide one type of extremely rare cancer while preventing common prostate cancer.

Despite the crazy frenzy to hate on it, they have been prescribing the stuff for 40 years. It is very safe and everyone that ever gets a hair transplant takes it. It is also prescribed to tons of men at 5x the dose with prostate issues.

Last edited:

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
I forget where I heard it, but I heard propecia can PERMANENTLY mess up your endocrine system in a really bad way. I think I read it in Jay Campbell's book on testosterone.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
DO NOT F*ck WITH PROPECIA.

It works by decreasing your DHT production by around 70%. DHT is basically like a super potent form of testosterone.

Not only is Propecia barely effective, I'm talking like 10% greater hair retention at best,

it can be calculated that after 5 years of faithful use of Propecia, those threatened with baldness can expect somewhat more than a 10% improvement over what they would have experienced without any treatment.

It has serious adverse side effects like shrinking your dick and decreasing your fertility.

Penile and scrotal shrinkage and loss of sensation were reported by approximately 80% of subjects

Except sperm morphology, all semen parameters are known to be compromised by finasteride

It all makes you wonder why it's being pushed so hard. 10% better hair for a smaller dick and higher infertility? What a horrendous trade off.

Hair loss is not caused by DHT, that is actually one giant myth. It is caused mainly by four things, lack of blood flow in the scalp and scalp calcifcation. Hormone wise it is caused by low testosterone and too high estrogen.

So having low test because of lifestyle, genetics, and beliefs, as well as high estrogen because of excess body fat all increase hair loss. High testosterone is actually linked to high hair growth. Men with thicker denser hair on their body tend to have higher testosterone, it is a sign of it.

As for rogaine. It's okay. But if you stop using it then your new hair will fall out so, you'd have to use it for life. All it does is increase the blood flow of your scalp.

I'd look into more advanced technology. Stuff with lasers looks far more promising. I haven't bothered to look into them much because of costs. When money is no longer an issue, I'd do it for sure. If you look at Elon Musk, he had really bad balding when he was younger, but now his hair is amazing.

Until then, aerobics for blood flow and handstands for more blood flow to the scalp specifically, as well as getting your testosterone levels in check and not having excess fat levels.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Just let it go man.

I'm bald, I shaved it off as soon as I seen it started receding. You don't wanna be that guy with the combover, trying to hold onto what hair he has left and is always wearing a beanie inside... trust me.

Bald rocks man, own that shit like a boss.

Shave it off and stop being a pussy.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
Until then, aerobics for blood flow and handstands for more blood flow to the scalp specifically, as well as getting your testosterone levels in check and not having excess fat levels.

My testosterone and fat levels are good.

How long should I be doing handstands every day? Would a couple hours of handstands every day be enough to get my hair to grow back? :rofl:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
At minimum 4 hours of handstands while reciting a chapter of Unscripted daily should do the trick.

In more seriousness, I have no idea how much is needed to help. I wouldn't bother with more than say 5 minutes.

The biggest physical non-hormonal thing is blood flow. I wonder if face yoga would help. Or if perhaps there are ways to directly exercise the scalp...

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
What about getting a hair transplant or using hair systems?

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
Another balding guy here.
I've been using Minoxidil for several years. So far, my hair loss is slower than other guys I know.
Minoxidil doesn't "revive" dead follicles, but keeps them active so they don't die (prevents baldness).
I think it's one of the few stuff that is researched and accepted widely by the medical community. It is also quite cheap, about 15$ a bottle that lasts months, and, at least here in Spain, every pharmacy prepares its own, so it's fairly easy to find.
So far I haven't noticed any side effects (dizziness and stuff).
And I'm balding, but slowly. I don't know if it'd be quicker if i wasn't using it. It's a matter of faith I suppose :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
DO NOT F*ck WITH PROPECIA.

It works by decreasing your DHT production by around 70%. DHT is basically like a super potent form of testosterone.

This is incorrect, and alarmist crap.

Folks, if you are interested, talk to your actual doctor about it. The stuff is fine.

A quick bit of research I just now did says that DHT is made out of testosterone and that blocking the production of DHT actually raises measurable testosterone levels.

DHT is only necessary in developmental stages of life. As an adult, it just causes problems.

While there are side effects... Don't believe the reddit style outrage about everything ever.

View: https://youtu.be/h05YfP_8UsU

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
This is incorrect, and alarmist crap.

Folks, if you are interested, talk to your actual doctor about it. The stuff is fine.

A quick bit of research I just now did says that DHT is made out of testosterone and that blocking the production of DHT actually raises measurable testosterone levels.

DHT is only necessary in developmental stages of life. As an adult, it just causes problems.

While there are side effects... Don't believe the reddit style outrage about everything ever.

View: https://youtu.be/h05YfP_8UsU

I mean, I realize you're taking so it naturally you will view it as okay.

Yes blocking DHT can cause a rise in test. Doesn't that make sense since DHT is created from test and now that it's not being made into DHT nearly as much, there's more test available?

Yet DHT is extremely potent and used for things that plain test isn't.

You are 100% right that most doctors will tell you it's fine. Hence its widespread usage.

However I too have taken finasteride for a few months, and I did experience several negative side effects too, which made me seriously question it. I then went off of it, which had its own set of side effects too.

I do not have any permanent side effects luckily, but I am sure having had only taken it for less than a year and immediately changing my lifestyle to massively promote testosterone helped too.

And, if the doctor had been forthright in telling me that the efficacy was A MEASELY 10% I would never have gambled with it at all.

Now, if propecia was all fine and dandy, why would there be 1400+ class action lawsuits regarding it?

The problem is that DHT activates the GABAA receptor, and diminished GABAA activity has been linked to sexual dysfunction (among other side effects). By curbing DHT production, Propecia increases the risk of impotence, erectile dysfunction, and other sexual side effects in men.

Another angle to consider.

Finasteride is an antiandrogen, it is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. Hence, it is useful for feminizing men into become trans females. It is an alternative to Spironolactone to function as an antiandrogen for males becoming females.

5-alpha reductase inhibitors may also be an option for use as a single agent in patients seeking partial feminization

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I mean, I realize you're taking so it naturally you will view it as okay.

Yes blocking DHT can cause a rise in test. Doesn't that make sense since DHT is created from test and now that it's not being made into DHT nearly as much, there's more test available?

Yet DHT is extremely potent and used for things that plain test isn't.

You are 100% right that most doctors will tell you it's fine. Hence its widespread usage.

However I too have taken finasteride for a few months, and I did experience several negative side effects too, which made me seriously question it. I then went off of it, which had its own set of side effects too.

I do not have any permanent side effects luckily, but I am sure having had only taken it for less than a year and immediately changing my lifestyle to massively promote testosterone helped too.

And, if the doctor had been forthright in telling me that the efficacy was A MEASELY 10% I would never have gambled with it at all.

Now, if propecia was all fine and dandy, why would there be 1400+ class action lawsuits regarding it?

Another angle to consider.

Finasteride is an antiandrogen, it is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. Hence, it is useful for feminizing men into become trans females. It is an alternative to Spironolactone to function as an antiandrogen for males becoming females.
Is there like an anti-propecia that causes opposite effects? Like total baldness, but you have to start wearing windpants all the time?received_164533350612815.jpeg

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Don't be this guy!

Yes people can tell your losing your hair, no you are not different they can tell, going bald isnt bad its all in your head.

Just workout and don't get fat.

Simple.

comb-over-1024x768.jpg

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Here’s an interesting article

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
1) Hair transplant

2) Non-surgical hair replacement system - THIS. Click the link below and see the magic:

View: https://www.facebook.com/veachanews/videos/835155940211581/

I'm not sure how common is this hair system in your country, but maybe it could be the basis of a Fastlane idea.

Basically, what this does is that if you've thinning hair or balding patches on the top, you get the top part shaved completely bald, leaving only some hair on the sides, then they glue this hair onto your head.
The best part is, it's pull-resistant, water-resistant and it functions exactly as normal hair does. You can style it, blow-dry it, comb it, go to the beach, swim, F*ck, sleep, and it still stays in place.

The only downside if that you need to go back to the salon or similar shops to get it replaced every now and then. Some folks say 1 month, some 1.5 months; I think the better quality ones can last 2 - 3 months. Not bad. In fact, once my hair starts thinning, I'm going to do this. I don't think it's prohibitively expensive though.

Google and youtube for "Non-surgical hair replacement system", there's many impressive videos.

Way better than taking any sort of pills. From those hair loss forum threads around the internet, at least 60% of people who take hair loss pills like Propecia suffer from a drastic drop in sex drive and also experience erectile dysfunction. Tbh, I would rather lose all my hair and perform like a real man in the bedroom, then have a head full of hair and can't "perform".

And, all those "natural herbs" and "essential oils" that claim to treat hair loss are just BS.
It's like you've a terminal illness and you drink some "Holy Ambrosial from the White Garden of the Celestial Queen" instead of seeking real treatment. None of these "natural-healing" crap works on hair loss, especially if it's a result of DHT.

Last edited:

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Balding dude here

Never had any treatment nor do I want one. It is me and I own it.

It is really not bad as people make it to be. 90% will be your own self perception. 10% will be the reality.

Just rock it with confidence and you good to go. A good practice of self true confidence.

Edit: to give you an idea, my hair is like Jason Statham. I used to struggle with it until - funny enough - I saw a balding pua guy on YouTube. That was my F*ck that moment. Life is mysterious!

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser0287

Look up “No Poo” Movement.
Using shampoo strips all the oil out of your hair and causes your scalp to overproduce oil. This overworking of the scalp to produce oil won’t last forever. So if you have no oil in your hair, your hair quality will degrade significantly. You need oil in hair.

I only wash my hair with water. Best decision ever.

It seems like the other suggestions in this thread are only band-aid solutions. You need root cause solution.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Why go through all of that? If you want your natural hair back just pull it out of the shower drain and glue it back on your head. Wear a cap and no one will ever know. Taaadaaaaa Problem fixed. You people are not problem solvers.... ;)

renaissance man

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Feb 6, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Just own it man. I shave it off weekly. Also, it looks better when you're lean like me (BMI 23), with a jawline. I too rock the statham-type balding, but with a less attractive face.

Once you get used to it, you won't go back, ever.

also @Timmy C
> always wearing a beanie inside
I wear a beanie wherever I like.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
So, the products I used for thinning hair can't be advertised as promoting hair growth, because the FDA won't investigate or approve natural products. Furthermore, everyone's experience is different, so no promises. All I can do is show you what it did for me and a lot of others. PM me for details.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Shave it off and stop being a pussy.
For the record this pussy probably has more hair than you. Ask all the drains I have clogged. Ha.

Relevant question for OP: How did Elon do it?

elon.jpg

If it's important to you, don't give up looking for options until you decide you are ok with it. That said they are right, there's nothing wrong with a bald head. You can wear cool hats and beanies and make your own style.

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
Just go with the flow and shave your head. Save money on hair loss treatments that are never ending and don't ever give you the desired effect, shampoo, hair cuts, worried if your hair looks good, gray hair, etc. Bald is the way to go........... embrace it........

Ganglion

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 21, 2018
United Kingdom
Yeah I wouldn't mess with propecia. I used it for a few years combined with minoxidil, while I was in my twenties. Then it stopped working and I was faced with the decision to use the stronger dutasteride, and I decided not to use it. I think I stopped propecia for a few years, then restarted it later in life. When I restarted it, I really felt the side-effects, maybe because I was older. I'm continuing to use my minoxidil, but my balding has gotten much worse now. I'm giving derma rolling a try, and might consider wet cupping for my scalp. At some point I'll consider a transplant.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Fight the loss of hair follicles at ground zero.
1. More sleep less stress.
2. More sunlight (D) and iron.
3. More fatty acids and omegas
4. No hair goop, sprays and harsh shampoos. Watch what happens in 2 months.
5. No more tightly bound hair.
6. Stimulate scalp with a hair brush even where hair is now only fuzz
7. Massage scalp with used coffee grounds in shower to break up damaging scalp debris
8. Rosemary oil restores hair growth big time
9. All natural shampoo and hair products.
10. Drink beer. Or apply directly to scalp.

EXCESSIVE DRINKING, NOT MALE PATTERNED BALDNESS, IS OFTEN THE REASON FOR THINNING HAIR AT ANY AGE. IN MEN AND WOMEN.

Maybe there's a biological connection between male patterned baldness and the character traits of either a heroic single-mindedness or rather self-abnegating, contumacious stubbornness.

No one on this thread so far is interested in the least in these highly effective ways to counteract and even reverse the influence of MPB on hair growth. You can get peach fuzz to revert back to full hair with scalp stimulation and rosemary oil.

ROSEMARY OIL PERFORMS AS WELL AS MINODIDOL. SCIENTIFIC STUDY:
Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: a randomized comparative trial. - PubMed - NCBI

Forum friends be kinder to yourselves instead of only seeking the pharma remedies and their significant side effects.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
also @Timmy C
> always wearing a beanie inside
I wear a beanie wherever I like.

It's got nothing to do with wearing a beanie or a hat and everything to do with the reason why a balding person wears them at inappropriate times or uncomfortable environments, hot weather? Bald person beanie etc.

Nothing to do with wearing hats or beanies and has everything to do with your insecurity that shines through because of the reason why you are wearing it.

Own that shit, being bald isn't bad, it's awesome. I don't know why so many guys get all f*cked up about it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.