The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Analyzing the stocks of my portfolio

Anything related to investing, including crypto

SchenkFinancial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 17, 2019
Germany
In this thread I am going to analyze the stocks of my portfolio "New Sector", which is an investible exchange-traded wikifolio certificate soon to be issued on the Stuttgart stock exchange: New Sector | wikifolio.com

This is the performance of my portfolio so far:

Stock Analysis Number 1: Shopify

Description of the business:

Shopify is the leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform. Shopify builds web- and mobile-based software and lets merchants easily set up online storefronts that are rich with retail functionality. Merchants use their software to run their business across all of their sales channels, including web and mobile storefronts, physical retail locations, social media storefronts, and marketplaces.

CEO of the business:

Tobias Lütke co-founded Shopify in September 2004. Mr. Lütke has served as Shopify's Chief Executive Officer since April 2008. Prior to that, Mr. Lütke acted as Shopify's Chief Technology Officer between September 2004 and April 2008. Mr. Lütke worked on the core team of the Ruby on Rails framework and has created many popular open source libraries such as Active Merchant. Mr. Lütke also serves as Chair of Shopify's Board of Directors.

Sales Growth:

Shopify's 5 year sales growth is 84.46 %, which is a convincing percentage compared to the industry average of 11.55 %.

Receivable Turnover:

Shopify is extremely effective in collecting its receivables, which is clearly displayed by the receivable turnover ratio of 44.49, compared to the industry average of 8.21.

Price to Book Ratio:

Shopify's Price to Book Ratio is fairly high with 17.27 compared to the industry average of 6.12, which implies high, expected rates of return on equity.

Operating Expenses

From 2017 to 2018, Shopify's selling/general/administrative expenses have increased from 289.02 million $ to 451.10 million $, while the expenses for research & development have risen from 131.04 million $ to 225.71 million $. These investments will probably play a major part in contributing to the enhancement of Shopify's competitive edge

Revenue

From 2017 to 2018, Shopify managed to grow its revenue from 673.30 million $ to 1073.23 million %, which is an increase of approximately 59 %. Shopify's business model has two revenue streams: a recurring subscription component which they call subscription solutions, and a merchant success-based component which they call merchant solutions.

In terms of subscriptions solutions, Shopify generates subscription solutions revenues principally through the sale of subscriptions to Shopify's platform. In terms of merchant solutions, Shopify principally generates merchant solutions revenues from payment processing fees from Shopify Payments. In addition to payment processing fees from Shopify Payments, they also generate merchant solutions revenue from transaction fees, Shopify Shipping, Shopify Capital, referral fees from partners, and sales of point-of-sale hardware.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SchenkFinancial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 17, 2019
Germany
Stock Analysis Number 2: Microsoft

Description of the business:

Microsoft is a world-leading software business. The company offers a wide variety of software products and services for various devices.

News:

After acquiring professional networking site LinkedIn for $26.2 billion back in 2016, Microsoft is set to shift the company to its Azure cloud service.

Structure:

Top shareholders are The Vanguard Group and BlackRock Fund Advisors.

Chart:

If you had invested 1000 $ five years ago, you would have 3157 $ today.

Chart including dividends:

If you had invested 1000 $ five years ago, you would have 3319 $ today.

Attachments

• Microsoft.jpg
    Microsoft.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Microsoft Dividends.jpg
    Microsoft Dividends.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

SchenkFinancial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 17, 2019
Germany
What are the total fee's on these wikifolio certificates?

While all wikifolios have a certificate fee of 0,95 % per year, every wikifolio certificate has an individual performance fee. My "New Sector" wikifolio certificate has a performance fee of 20 %, which only becomes due upon reaching a new annual high in the wikifolio. The performance fee is consequently only to be paid in case of success.

Last edited:

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Ok and how many stocks are included in this Wikifolio? 20% Performance Fee sounds like a lot, are you saying that they will take 20% of all profits that are made in a given year?

SchenkFinancial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 17, 2019
Germany
Ok and how many stocks are included in this Wikifolio? 20% Performance Fee sounds like a lot, are you saying that they will take 20% of all profits that are made in a given year?

The performance fee is individually determined by every Wikifolio trader and is not intended for Wikifolio but for the trader. The 20 % fee would be consequently be the payment for my knowledge and my experience.

My portfolio currently consists of 10 high quality stocks and is long term oriented. You have to take into consideration that buying these stocks individually would cost you brokerage fees. In Wikifolio you do not pay this type of fees, only the certificate fee of 0,95 % per year and the performance fee for profitable active portfolio management. It is a win-win situation, the investor and the trader profit simulatenously.

If the 20 % fee is too high for you, you can also take a look at another portfolio of mine with a 5 % fee, which currently has an overall performance of 7.9 % since May: Schenk Leverage | wikifolio.com

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
I have to admit, I didnt even take a look at the Wikifolio website until just a minute ago...

I assumed it was just a basket of stocks like an ETF which was being offered. I didnt know it was actually your Portfolio which you assembled and are offering for people to invest into.

Its a cool idea I guess and im sure a lot of people are into it. May I ask how many people have already invested with you on wikifolio and how long you have been offering your portfolios on there?

For the Fastlane, I think a lot of people on this forum, myself included, would prefer to put their money to work on their own business where you have control and not hand it over to other people for investing... but thats just my assumption.

Best,
Champion

SchenkFinancial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 17, 2019
Germany
I have to admit, I didnt even take a look at the Wikifolio website until just a minute ago...

I assumed it was just a basket of stocks like an ETF which was being offered. I didnt know it was actually your Portfolio which you assembled and are offering for people to invest into.

Its a cool idea I guess and im sure a lot of people are into it. May I ask how many people have already invested with you on wikifolio and how long you have been offering your portfolios on there?

For the Fastlane, I think a lot of people on this forum, myself included, would prefer to put their money to work on their own business where you have control and not hand it over to other people for investing... but thats just my assumption.

Best,
Champion

Thank you for your opinion. I have been active on Wikifolio since May. In this particular portfolio which I am referring to in this thread, 11 people have invested a total amount of 5500 € so far.

Having read MJ's books, I completely understand the point raised on your part regarding control. In the stock market you also have two types of control, specifically the percentage of cash in your portfolio and your entry/exit points.

In bull markets, you should accumulate as much cash as possible in order to have enough capital to buy undervalued stocks in bear markets. In terms of your entry/exit points, you enter when a stock is undervalued and you exit when a stock is overvalued. So, there is control in the stock market.

Having gained a lot of experience in managing portfolios in the stock market, I am offering these wikifolios, since my experience and rational facts tell me how much cash you should hold in specific market situations and when you should enter, respectively exit. Successful investing is all about calculating the fair value of a stock and acting accordingly with a healthy money management.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.