The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Welcome to The Fastlane Entrepreneur Forum.

Register Log in
  • The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 48 hours.

RANT Am I liable as a 5% shareholder?

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
FASTLANE INSIDER
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
engynn-intranet.com
Hello All,

I'm curious - what are the liabilities of being a shareholder in an organization? There seems to be conflicting advice online. A friend of mine who I was helping to get a business started randomly said one day, "You're going to be a 5% shareholder!". I didn't address it at the time or even make comments, brushed it off, as I didn't know when he was going to incorporate immediately, however I received a text this morning saying - "I've incorporated, you're a 5% shareholder!".

So I'm curious - is there any chance whatsoever of liabilities for being listed as a 5% shareholder on incorporation documents?

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 20, 2014
My first thought is that no, you are not liable. People who own stock in companies are not liable for the activities of the companies, right?

Further, you're not an officer in the company and have absolutely no control over the decisions of the company, correct?

Still, talk to a lawyer.

AF77

Contributor
Mar 8, 2019
My first thought is that no, you are not liable. People who own stock in companies are not liable for the activities of the companies, right?

Further, you're not an officer in the company and have absolutely no control over the decisions of the company, correct?

Still, talk to a lawyer.
Not an officer is the key there.

Rabby

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
FASTLANE INSIDER
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
If you're an employee or board member the company's general liability insurance will cover you just like it covers the company - for example if someone slips and falls, or if your product harms someone. So that's just a matter of having appropriate limits.

If you're a director or officer, you can cover your risk for suits regarding the governance of the organization using Directors and Officer's liability insurance. Likewise, if you are acting in a professional capacity (financial services, engineering, etc), you can get coverage under Errors and Omissions insurance.

Whether you can realistically be held liable depends on your position with the company. If there's any chance of being named in a lawsuit and needing defense, you can always make sure you have the appropriate types of liability insurance in place. That will transfer your risk to an insurance company that can afford it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Search Forum