The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

9 Questions About Executing This Business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Preface: I work at a clothing store. 2-3 times a week on average, customers need clothes tailored within a couple days. My tailor can’t deliver so I’m forced to call different tailors to see who can get it done by the time they need it and then I have to send the customer to them. Opportunity: website that customers type in the job they need and when they need it done by, etc. -> next page lists options of nearest tailors and their prices who can make it happen.

Market research:

I investigated the competition. This is all I got:
1. Instafix - shitty referral app in Australia
2. TailorWay - app was super minimal and crashed 15 seconds into using it
3. Thumbtack - individual pros (only two options) Not simple or streamlined enough - would have to contact each one individually and the price would be too high for private fittings like that.
4. Tailorsfinder.com - ugly. Too simple. Too wordy. Doesn’t tell me when a tailor can get a specific job done
5. Angie’s List - more information and content based. Couldnt confirm a tailor can get a job done... unless I missed something.

I called 10 different tailors in my area. Key takeaways: 1) each tailor on average has about 2-3 rushes a week 2) customers mostly complain about price 3) established tailors don’t advertise at all because they already have enough work from repeat customers 4) new tailors don’t advertise beyond google or yelp and their chief difficulty is building a clientele.

Next, I read a few articles about the alterations market. Key takeaways: 1) tailoring isn’t what it used to be -> shift from business formal wear to casual wear causes millennials to not need as much tailoring 2) it still is $2 billion industry in US 3) expected to grow 2.9% according to ibis 4) millennials are most concerned about price and speed in regard to tailoring 5) tailor shop competition are clothing stores with in house tailoring (but a website like mine can be used by clothing stores to find customers expedient and low-cost tailors when needed)

The value skews are 1) solving the need of not getting things tailored fast enough 2) make finding the right tailor at the right price much more convenient (instead of having to call 5 different ones to find the lowest price - solves shop-ability problem) 3) new tailors can build a clientele faster 4) clothing store salespeople like me won’t miss out on anymore sales because their in-house tailor can’t get a job done fast enough 5) instant gratification from clothing store customers who no longer have to wait 10 days to wear the clothes they just spent money on 6) marketing campaign will offer a newsletter educating people on the importance of tailoring

Next objectives:

I was just gonna hand draw a detailed site map and call that a prototype to hand-off to a developer. I know a few friends of friends that can be trusted. From what I’ve read in different threads, a Minimum Viable Product is key so using my hand drawn site map I can have my developer build the MVP.

The domain name shoptailors.com is available for cheap. I think it sounds good.

The MVP will have a landing page that immediately prompts for an email signup and specifies if the person is a tailor or not. . Then the screen will shift to a super basic page similar to limos.com where customers can put in their info, what they need, and when it needs to be done with the option of being delivered (because some tailors deliver) ... then once they click for options, the following screen will be a mock page of tailor shops to chose from. Once they scroll down, the page will have a pop-up explaining that it isn’t yet completed and prompting for feedback. Then if the person is a tailor (based off the landing page) they'll be prompted to pre-submit a profile to be displayed once the site is launched. Once the email list gets built (one for customers and a different one for tailors), I’ll send a weekly newsletter - tailors get industry updates; customers get educated on the importance of tailoring.

Once the MVP is created and I have something to show tailors, I’m going to start cold calling, emailing, and even showing up at tailorshops. I’ll utilize social media and clothing store salespeople.

And then launch a marketing campaign to let everyone who gets clothes tailored (professional “wear-to-work” guys, wedding planners, funeral homes, airports for people traveling for business etc.) that we are launching soon.

With 1) strong email lists 2) social media presence and 3) pre-submitted tailor profiles, I should be able to get a decent investment and have a developer revise and final draft the site for launch.

Once we go live, I’d love to be able to outsource the customer service to people like shopify - I’ve never used them but I hear their awesome. Then I can focus on scaling the project through marketing and sales campaigns.

Question #1: Can anyone recommend an affiliate network for clothing alterations and tailors?

Question #2: I spoke to a guy who was in the lead gen space and he stressed having capital and a business plan... but @MJ DeMarco says the best business plan is execution... so should I just get the MVP up as soon as possible? I only have like $1,000 to invest right now so I’m trying to get something that generates revenue ASAP before I start subscribing to spyfu.com and buying traffic and etc.

Question #3: I’ve obviously never done anything like this before. I have an economics and sales background, not a tech/programming background. Is it 100% doable in the way I’ve outlined? Anything the more experienced guys would do different?

Question #4: I can’t help but dream about the event... can someone give me a reality check about the process involved so I won’t be too surprised or discouraged when it happens?

Question #5: The struggle so far for me is deciding how to plan and execute sequentially... that’s why I posted this thread detailing my plan because I don’t know if I’m putting the cart before the horse. I’d appreciate it if any answers were specifically sequenced in relation to the whole project.

Question #6: Anyone have any ideas on how I can get residual income from a customer? I’m afraid people will find a tailor and just use that tailor from then on and I won’t profit from that business since I was gonna offer the same unique selling proposition as MJ... If tailors don’t get customers then they don’t pay anything.

Question #7: How would the site be able to tell in seconds who can get what job done? Is there a certain software that enables this?

Question #8: When and how should I patent this idea?

Question #9: alterations aren’t a high ticket item... do you think this idea will turn a profit realistically?

PS: I’m writing this post at work... someone just came in needing a suit for a job interview tailored by tomorrow - my tailor can’t do that -> opportunity

I welcome and appreciate any feedback, especially questions about my process because responding to questions helps me get my mind right.

God bless.

Sonny

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.