The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

22 Year Old Grad and striving towards freedom!

GWan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
262%
Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Hello Everyone!

I am a recent college grad (graduated in April) from Toronto, Canada. I am currently working my first full-time as a web designer/developer. I have been working for around 8 months now.

When I first started my job in April, I was excited and thinking about all the things I could buy now with a full-time income. I had dreamed about buying my own car since I was 16. By the one month mark, I already started to dread going to work. I thought about trying to find a better paying job, like some of my more hardworking classmates who had gone on to work for the big tech companies (Google, Facebook, etc.). Out of curiousity, I started doing some calculations on how much they were making. After checking salary websites such as Glassdoor, I realized that even working at those big companies wasn't that much money. It would still take 10 years to make $1m at $100k/year. This isn't even taking into account taxes, expenses, etc. It was at this moment I realized that a better job wasn't going to solve my problems.

I started to look for answers. That's when I found Rich Dad Poor Dad. That book completely changed my perspective on money. I'm super grateful that I found this book only a month and a half after starting my FT job. Had it been a couple of months later, I probably would've bought my first car on a 6 year lease with a high interest rate!

I started to read many different books about business and self development. In just 7 months, I had read 12 books. This might not seem like a lot, but it is for someone like me who wouldn't even touch a book if it wasn't for school. I also started to look for different ways to make money. Like most who start out, I had shiny object syndrome. I jumped from one thing to another. Kindle publishing, Affiliate marketing, Shopify dropshipping, just to name a few.

After trying many different things, I luckily stumbled upon The Millionaire Fastlane . Like Rich Dad Poor Dad, this book has shifted my mindset drastically. I realized that all of the businesses that I was trying were not solving any real problems. They were hitchhiker strategies used only for the sole purpose of making money.

Fast forward to today – I joined this forum in hopes of connecting with more people with the same mindset. I have been inspired by @Fox's thread about freelance web design. I had tried freelance web design in the past but never thought about targeting those who actually need new websites. I always chased the cool new tech startups because that's who I wanted to work for.

I have taken some action towards becoming a freelance web designer. I have created my portfolio website and sent out a few cold emails. In the next few days, I will make a progress thread on the forum. Hopefully in a few years the progress thread can be an inspiration to newcomers like myself. If you got this far, thank you for reading my story :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

marcof_23

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
May 22, 2015
Toronto
Welcome fam! Nice to meet someone from my city who’s my age. Let’s go on this journey together!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...