The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Working is like being in Prison

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I was watching a women's prison documentary on tv, have no idea what it is called, but when I was watching it... I felt the same way these prisoners felt at work. No freedom. These people were happy to be free after what 2-3 yrs maybe more. I couldn't fathom serving prison for more than half a yr. I would totally feel like I am wasting my life away. At least they were eating, had a roof over their heads, medical care, some were in relationships with other women, and can get their hair/nails done. Oh, isn't that why we work, to live off the streets and feed ourselves? lol

I guess not all work is like being in prison since sometimes doing the job you love isn't exactly the same. But in reality, not in lala land, most people hate their work because it pays the bills.... or other reasons. Then when I see younger women wasting their youth... time is so essential, time is all we have.

Well just want to say that. I'm not going back to work ever again (unless I love doing it like a hobby)... I'm so glad I am out of the rat race.

Work is like being in prison.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I guess different people see things differently.

I have worked a ton of jobs. The summer of my senior year in HS I worked a full 40 hours standing up my feet on a factory production line as well as working another 60 hours teaching swimming lessons, cleaning pools and life guarding. I saw all of them as opportunities for me and felt happy to have the work.

I have worked jobs on farms where you come home aching in every muscle, filthy dirty and sneezing out dirt from the dust. I still looked at myself as being fortunate to have the job.

Being in prison, nah I don't think I would see that as a fortunate thing. So to me one has zero to do with the other.

I was hired for the jobs I had because of the positive things in my life, my dedication, my attention to details and getting along with other people whom I may not have cared for.

You get to go to prison for the lack of most of the above.

A positive attitude will take you to heights which the vast majority of people in this world will never experience. I know this from personal experience.

I truly believe if a negative person completely changed their attitude in less than one year their results and happiness would reflect the great things which were occurring in their life.

It is not easy. It takes practice day in and day out. Just like learning anything new such as the piano, wrestling etc.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Hm. That makes sense, you get pride out of work alone I suppose... I don't get pride out of it, besides saying, "Hey everyone I have a job I'm working". When I work I only work so I wouldn't be call a loser or a bum.

And I hate every minute of it, but I did it with a smile. It was because I am wasting my life away for nickles and pennies. But I choose to do it, so I only blame myself for working. I don't regret it though, since I have enough for what I want now.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Is there anything in your life you are proud of?

Your posts here come off as a negative self centered person.

Are you like that in real life or just when posting on a forum?

If so nothing against it. I was negative and self centered for the majority of my life. I still fall back into it. I am so very very blessed to have married the woman I did. She showed me by her actions how being positive and giving and forgiving can truly change a life for the better.

I am very fortunate that she stayed with me until I changed for the better 100%.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Is there anything in your life you are proud of?

Your posts here come off as a negative self centered person.

Are you like that in real life or just when posting on a forum?

If so nothing against it. I was negative and self centered for the majority of my life. I still fall back into it. I am so very very blessed to have married the woman I did. She showed me by her actions how being positive and giving and forgiving can truly change a life for the better.

I am very fortunate that she stayed with me until I changed for the better 100%.

I don't think I am negative lol. Yes, I am negative about my past working experience but that was because I didn't see anything coming out of it. I don't wear rose-colored glasses. But I see the blessings of my life. I just felt like, "yeah prison is exactly how I felt at work!"

In real life though, I don't discuss these things or really think about it. I am focus on the present/future.

I am self-centered, but that's because I don't have kids to care about. If I had kids they would be all I care about. I view that as a good trait though, since no one is going to help you in life except yourself. It's a fact, unless you happen to have rich "giving" family, or friends. You're the only person who can direct your life, and so self-centered is vital to survival. Even though I am giving.... too giving in fact, I learn enough of my lessons from giving.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Working is like prison?

This is what I think: Attitude is everything. As cliche as it sounds; its the crux of achievement.

When it comes to jobs, the grass isn't always greener on the other side(Entrepreneurship).

Instead of working 40 hours you will now work 80 hours for little to nothing in return and for little to no feedback.

Whether your job is to pick up dog crap or collect aluminum cans or plastic bottles or clean toilets, you should do it with a smile on your face and with the firm confidence that its only part of the process of working your way to the top.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Working is like prison?

This is what I think: Attitude is everything. As cliche as it sounds; its the crux of achievement.

When it comes to jobs, the grass isn't always greener on the other side(Entrepreneurship).

Instead of working 40 hours you will now work 80 hours for little to nothing in return and for little to no feedback.

Whether your job is to pick up dog crap or collect aluminum cans or plastic bottles or clean toilets, you should do it with a smile on your face and with the firm confidence that its only part of the process of working your way to the top.

True. I agree with that statement since that's how I viewed my work as well... that and as a prison cell. Attitude is essential to get through the hell. There is a fine line when working menial labor jobs is part of means to an end, and just the end..Some people get caught up in the whole workaholic and cannot get out since they think every dollar bill will help their lives and their business. 14 K isn't going to help the process all that much. You're better off pursuing something else that will bring bigger rewards, if you can..., even if you don't see anything in the present. I don't think working 40 hrs a week or more is truly worth it.

It's only diminishing returns once you have shelter over your head, have toilet paper/toothbrush/paste/soap, and can eat ramen noodles.

The grass is greener. It is. If it wasn't then no one would be on this forum. We would be on college forums, army forums, or just general skills forums. But I am going to assume 90% of us don't want to give up our freedom. And then.... there are the people who need the money for the family, which is unfortunate.

Attitude is important, but so is knowing when to quit, and start a new chapter. I guess... working isn't like prison in that regard, since you can't quit prison lol until you serve your time.

which brings up the whole "wage slave" topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wage_slavery

D

DeletedUser394

'This message is hidden because Lights is on your ignore list.'

I learned and implemented that trick long ago. I invite everyone else to join me :) Unless you happen to find it entertaining in which case carry on! :p

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
Interesting points, Lights. I wish everyone who dreams of business ownership could get a 2 month break from their other responsibilities to really go for it full on and if it works, they'd be off and running. Of course there are the hours after hours and weekends that could be used to launch as well.

skipper

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Aug 10, 2012

Not necessarily. I'm starting to see you can use some fastline ideas at your job, and grow there.
It doesn't matter where you start, even flipping burgers or whatever, as long as you have a goal, a mission (e.g., become a VP) and you are executing it, it can be pretty fun.

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
Wasn't "employment" what replaced slavery during all of those industrial revolutions in the 1800s?

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Men don't need happiness, they need purpose.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm ignoring lights for a long time now so I don't know what kind of brain fart this is, but I guess one of her lovers left her again and for the first time in her live she has to work to put food on the table?

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I'm ignoring lights for a long time now so I don't know what kind of brain fart this is, but I guess one of her lovers left her again and for the first time in her live she has to work to put food on the table?

Why do people ignore me, and yet still post on my threads?? "Hey, I'm giving you the silent treatment" Do I defy the ignore button? It's an oxymoron lol.

oxymoron1.jpg

Even if he can't read it, this is for people who can before people assume things, "I don't work right now lol. I quit my jerb a month ago!. I have like 12 k saved up right now, FROM working. And I'm in college right now to learn my fastlane business in-depth"

sam22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 23, 2012
California

Love this quote from Big Sean: "But, the grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it."

PriceAction

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 5, 2012
I was watching a women's prison documentary on tv, have no idea what it is called, but when I was watching it... I felt the same way these prisoners felt at work. No freedom. These people were happy to be free after what 2-3 yrs maybe more. I couldn't fathom serving prison for more than half a yr. I would totally feel like I am wasting my life away. At least they were eating, had a roof over their heads, medical care, some were in relationships with other women, and can get their hair/nails done. Oh, isn't that why we work, to live off the streets and feed ourselves? lol

I guess not all work is like being in prison since sometimes doing the job you love isn't exactly the same. But in reality, not in lala land, most people hate their work because it pays the bills.... or other reasons. Then when I see younger women wasting their youth... time is so essential, time is all we have.

Well just want to say that. I'm not going back to work ever again (unless I love doing it like a hobby)... I'm so glad I am out of the rat race.

Work is absolutely like prison.. It's funny because I thought I was the only one who felt this way until I read the book and met people who are thinking along the same lines.

Thrive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Why do people ignore me, and yet still post on my threads?? "Hey, I'm giving you the silent treatment" Do I defy the ignore button? It's an oxymoron lol.

Personally I think its overboard to go to someones thread and intentionally insult them. Even if you dont like them and even if they are a troll. Its still rude and only demeans yourself.

P.S. Go read a book called Leadership and Self Deception. I think some people here are in the box.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
There are many similarities in my line of work. Guards with Ak47's, High walls topped off with concertina wire, various restrictions, no alcohol :nonod: but it's not all bad. Sometimes I actually enjoy it. Like PatrickP said I also feel fortunate to have this opportunity. I'm compensated well for my time so I try not to complain a whole lot. I've seen poor. I know the struggle the majority of the world goes through on a daily basis just to put food on the table. I'll put up with it for now to know my family will never have to worry about where the next meal will come from.

Jun 22, 2012
I don't think I am negative lol. Yes, I am negative about my past working experience but that was because I didn't see anything coming out of it. I don't wear rose-colored glasses. But I see the blessings of my life. I just felt like, "yeah prison is exactly how I felt at work!"

In real life though, I don't discuss these things or really think about it. I am focus on the present/future.

I am self-centered, but that's because I don't have kids to care about. If I had kids they would be all I care about. I view that as a good trait though, since no one is going to help you in life except yourself. It's a fact, unless you happen to have rich "giving" family, or friends. You're the only person who can direct your life, and so self-centered is vital to survival. Even though I am giving.... too giving in fact, I learn enough of my lessons from giving.
Ohh.. I feel very nice after reading your post because atleast you are concerned about all these things though you don't have kids. I think being self-centered is not at all bad to live happily.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
i don't necessarily disagree with what you said Lights. I am negative and somewhat self-centered, but I don't always consider that a bad thing if used properly. I am negative towards jobs because while I am blessed to have one and have the opportunity to stay afloat until I get Fastlane, it's still being bossed around. I have a huge issue with being FORCED to take a 30 min lunch, when I should get here, when I should leave, why I can't work from home when I don't need to be at the office, etc. How about I work when I am the most productive, eat lunch while I work, and leave the office 30 min earlier? I even went to so far as to contact the policy people to see if this was actually a rule. My next goal is to ask if I can take lunch 30 min before my "end time" so I can leave earlier. Probably won't fly. You are just striving to do more than what you are doing now; not all bad.

vmatheboss

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 26, 2012
CA
lol, funny i came around to reading this.... or the title.... because i use to work graveyard shifts at hotels maybe about 5 years ago..... i always thought to myself..... even though im in this shithole, its better than being in prison..... literally....so i quickly lose the "being bored at work" mentality and focused back at what i needed to do.... but bottom line.... work and freedom should be way better than being in prison...

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Work is absolutely prison. You beg for holidays. You beg to use the toilet. You beg for lunch. You have to work with idiots you hate. You have to be managed by people you hate even more. You have no time for yourself. You are constantly exhausted and tired. You have to behave a certain way. You constantly whinge about your surroundings and what's worst is that in society, that is normality.

Normal is something we run away from.

D

DeletedUser394

In a job one can leave at any time. You're not a victim, and you can do as you please in a free society. You don't 'have' to do anything.

Comparing work to prison is a tad melodramatic... but it was 'Lights' that started this thread so... :rolleyes:

It varies, but I'm typically banking about 75% of my income (investments into side projects, stocks, loans, other people's fastlanes, you name it). For every month I work, I buy myself 3 months of total freedom. I can leave at any time and never look back.

So yeah, jobs are simply a tool... a means to an end. If you go to work, collect your paycheck and then proceed to blow it all on 'doodads' and other nonsense like most people, then I'd argue that you are essentially a slave. But if one compares their job to prison.. well then it's an entirely self imposed prison.

My views are partially slanted since I run the business that employs me, but even as I was moving up the ladder I never felt like a victim or like I was in a prison. Had it become unbearable I simply would have walked out the door.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
Even for the most focused person, once you are in that place, it is tough to stay on track. I worked 2 months as an Account Manager after which I was promptly fired AND in style ;) because the MD HATED the fact I wrote him an e-mail directly stating how I couldn't make figures because we were out of stock and being a Writer, I don't hold back. I got called into the office and sacked saying I was unsuccessful in my probation. Most people's minds lead them to be trapped on a constant basis in that job. People CAN leave, I do agree with your stance of using the money to funnel it into your business, I did that for my second business--absolutely. But the toxic environment left me drained after I was stood for 40 hours, 5 days a week and couldn't feel my feet, legs and struggled to wake up in the morning.

Comfort is VERY seductive. A job is comfortable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.