The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What To Do Next

Daniel Hickey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 28, 2016
I started severely planning my ecommerce website when I had this amazing vision for a revolutionary product. I have designed the product, noting the specific measurements and materials needed, as well as a detailed illustration on what it would actually do. Problem is that its all on big sheets of cardboard! I'm stuck on how to proceed. How can I make my vision real? Should I approach a big company who is capable of manufacturing my product? Should I look into provisional patenting? If so, is a patent attorney necessary and/or highly recommended? I have too many questions and don't know who to ask but I'm sure my idea has the potential to be great. A little guidance would be extremely of value to me and eternally cherished!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eribruski

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 29, 2012
Toronto, ON
If it's made of metal I can take you from where you are right now to the physical product in your hand.

We have a team of designers ready to spec your product and we have direct access to 9 manufacturering plants in China.

The only thing is... your product must be metal!

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Daniel Hickey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 28, 2016
If it's made of metal I can take you from where you are right now to the physical product in your hand.

We have a team of designers ready to spec your product and we have direct access to 9 manufacturering plants in China.

The only thing is... your product must be metal!

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately it must be made of glass! But thank you very much for your willing to help!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I haven't done anything with glass, but you might check out ThomasNet and call up some U.S. glass manufacturers and try to figure out what processes you need, and who would be able to get it done.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ultra Magnus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Oct 9, 2015
Whatever you do, be sure you can control your business. Think about the business, not the product itself - there are a lot of companies that will take you from concept to production, but will they be able to deliver it time and again when you need it? Will they want to? Do they have other, bigger clients that take up most of their time, and squuezing you into their busy pipeline is just a one time thing?

I know figuring out operations can be daunting, but you should put some thought into it because it can help answer your questions. E.g. if you don't want to manufacture the product, you better have some legal assets protecting you - like a provisional patent, and/or some sort of agreement with the manufacturer that they can make the item when you need it/have other manufacturers with similar pricing on hand, etc. On the other hand, if you can figure out how to manufacture your item profitably and the niche is small, maybe a patent isn't worth the cost? You probably won't be able to sue a big competitor for breaching your rights if you don't have a lot of cash... Also remember that there might be a patent already registered for your idea, you should check the relevant databases (in the countries you want to sell in). A provisional patent is not possible in the EU, you would need a boatload of money upfront to register over there.

Blablabla, good luck!

248N8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 19, 2016
Michigan
I can't help with the production, but I can help with a packaging network. But I wouldn't worry about a patent at this point. I was once taught patents are only worth it if you plan on using it. Your next steps is to find a manufacturing partner that is capable of creating your samples locally. Glass is tough but since the medical marijuana boom they are a lot easier to come by than in the past. If you are tight on the cash to make the sample (it will cost at least $1,000, but will be closer to $3,000 depending on size, shape, clarity and thickness) you might be able to work with them on a share in profits when its complete. I would reach out to as many as you can find and get to know them and the business/products they currently support and make sure it lines up with what you are trying to accomplish. Sort of like what Ultra was talking about.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.