The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Use templates as a freelancer

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Hey y'all. After creating my landing page using a template powered by Bootstrap by Twitter, I was wondering about the ethics of doing freelance web design and using templates such as Bootstrap? These aren't WYSIWYG or drag and drop, but they are templates. Is this something commonly done and is okay, or is it something to avoid?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

themaxx

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2014
London, UK
Hey y'all. After creating my landing page using a template powered by Bootstrap by Twitter, I was wondering about the ethics of doing freelance web design and using templates such as Bootstrap? These aren't WYSIWYG or drag and drop, but they are templates. Is this something commonly done and is okay, or is it something to avoid?
Not sure what the issue is? Would you insist a programmer write all his code in machine code? I can't see any issue in using a template to do your work more quickly.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Well using a template v custom code of a website. But I suppose you are correct.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I dont see anything up with it. The customer has came to you for you to set it up for them so they "think" you are in the know therefore pay you and if you deem the template adequate why not?

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Would you want your doctor to discover medicine from scratch?

Bootstrap is not a template. It is a framework. The difference is substantial: a template is a complete design which is used as it is or customized, while a framework is a set of components/structure that allow you to build faster. It's like building a car using car pieces instead of raw metal and a forge.

Second, you need to understand that things are not built from scratch anymore. Ever. No professional will ever accept to do something like that because it makes no sense. The web is not designed to work like we use it today, it's designed to share simple pages with some text on it. This means that to adapt it to what we do now we work on a delicate structure of stuff built upon stuff built upon stuff ad libitum with ninja killers ready to stab you in the back as soon as you turn your guard down.
You might have noticed Bootstrap because it is overused and used wrong by most people (on this I agree), but no matter. If it's not Bootstrap is Foundation or Pure or Bourbon. If it's a modern professional website it's there.

But lets talk about templates. 99 times out of 100, you want your guy to use a pro template based on a popular framework (theme framework, not the kind of framework we were talking above) and customize it at will. Why? Quality. Compatibility. Support. And costs, lots of costs.
You know you are getting good stuff. A theme of that quality would cost you thousands from scratch.

stashbooks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Apr 24, 2015
Hi BigB! I will be making my website. I fabricate an item which I believe will sell at record speed. Don't know if I will have time to build website so busy fabricating. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Thanks guys. This gives me more confidence, as a web designer and programmer sometimes I put too much focus on making it from scratch.

Dealdomains

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 1, 2015
I don't feel there should be any problem using template as most of the webdesign do that same stuff.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Depends on how much you change them later on. Frameworks are great, if you change template a lot it's great, if you just copy/paste new text and don't do much else and you charge a lot for it, then it's kind of lame.

But in general, templates are good. Look at ThemeForest.net and how much it's thriving.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.