The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Upsetting the Slow Lane Mindset

Anything related to matters of the mind

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
There is currently a thread on Hacker News about being a programmer at 50.

I posted a comment here that seemed to ruffle some feathers. :coco:

The full thread is here for context.

Anyway, I just thought is funny how defensive everyone is with their slow lane jobs.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
To each their own. Let them be happy with their jobs.

And 99% of programmers are of the employee mindset. If someone is content with their life and sees no need to change, never impose on them.

- My dad just spoke to me for about 2 hours the other day about going back to get my GED and then get a Degree and possibly become a doctor or lawyer so I can earn real money and have a backup. I just learned to keep my mouth shut after arguing for years about this.
When someone tries to impose their beliefs on you, you don't like it. So I believe you should treat others the way you like to be treated.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Let them live their lives. They like what they do. They're probably happier than you are.

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
Anyway, I just thought is funny how defensive everyone is with their slow lane jobs.

There are MILLIONS of people today who are unemployed and are trying to find a job and a majority of that MILLIONS would be happy with a "slowlane job" because they have a family to feed, mortgage and bills to pay, etc. If the guy is happy at his work, let him be happy. The Fastlane is not for everyone and not everyone follows the Fastlane mentality.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've got a buddy who lives in a small apartment, goes to work, does overtime, gets put on call, and makes less than I ever have at any job that didn't involve shopping carts or burgers.

He's one of the happiest people I know and thinks I'm INSANE for stressing over achievement and financial progress.

To each their own.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Why upsetting? If you want to troll, then it is what it is.

Lgallion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 2, 2012
I have found that making such a statement has about the same chance of converting people from the slow lane as trying to convince fish of the advantages of living on land. Instead of arguing, appeal to their sense of easy money while actually make some. My advice would be to market the follow ecourse to the same group: "Turn Your Programming Skills into Gold: 10 Profitable eBusinesses You Can Start Today". Then maybe you might get one or two to actually start the fast lane journey. And don't forget to send me those 10% commission checks for the idea. ;-)

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
And 99% of programmers are of the employee mindset. If someone is content with their life and sees no need to change, never impose on them.
Sadly... this is true, despite that they have one of the most marketable skills with the greatest potential to exploit for their own benefit.

Having worked in corporate software, I can't help but wonder if half of the office politics are placed there to convince employees they need the big corporation to stick around. I was the only developer interested in starting businesses and that's the entire reason why I was there, to gain experience to go do that. The amount of work that our whole team was expected to do in 4 months is the amount I expect from myself in 1.

VanToai

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 23, 2012
DC Area
I have found that making such a statement has about the same chance of converting people from the slow lane as trying to convince fish of the advantages of living on land. Instead of arguing, appeal to their sense of easy money while actually make some. My advice would be to market the follow ecourse to the same group: "Turn Your Programming Skills into Gold: 10 Profitable eBusinesses You Can Start Today". Then maybe you might get one or two to actually start the fast lane journey. And don't forget to send me those 10% commission checks for the idea. ;-)

This is terrible advice.

1. Nothing about that thread or the HN community at large indicates any need for that "e-course." Knowing the HN community, that kind of info product would fall faster than a shit filled balloon.

2. Idea's are cheap. That may have been a joke, but it was a slowlane joke.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I bite my tongue and ignore them, and let them be. I am not even telling my family except vague statements.
I really don't care about people who are on the fastlane or the slowlane, some are better off there anyways.

But I'm too cool for the slowlane... obviously I wouldn't be here otherwise....

*lmao... I wasn't even here to start a business or anything..at first. I just stumbled here one morning for advice on my relationships.. But I see the truth now*

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Not everyone wants to be rich... Sounds like a giant excuse why they are comfortable with mediocrity. It is sad, I agree, but why try to change them?

I say let them die without reaching for their true potential.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Not everyone wants to be rich... Sounds like a giant excuse why they are comfortable with mediocrity. It is sad, I agree, but why try to change them?

I say let them die without reaching for their true potential.
It becomes a problem when the majority of slow laners who deserve to be there... vote to take away what fast laners have. ie. OWS.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
when the majority of slow laners who deserve to be there... vote to take away what fast laners have. ie. OWS.

I dunno...When I think of OWS, I think of Sidewalkers. Those screaming the loudest for other people's stuff don't seem to be the folks getting up every day, working often-thankless jobs to support their families and pay their mortgages.

Even though I think the Fastlane is a better path for those with an entrepreneurial spirit, I believe there's still honor in supporting yourself and your family, even if it is via the slowlane. Whether you're a garbage-man or brain-surgeon, there's something to be said for providing a valuable service and paying your own way.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
On this note, something that's occurred to me lately is how closely Sidewalkers and Fastlaners often resemble each other, but ONLY on the surface. I know several people who LIKE to think they're Fastlaners because they refuse to get a regular job. Why? Because they're "on the verge of hitting it big."

But in truth, too many of these people are merely lazy, self-important, and feel that holding down a regular job will cramp their style. So they sort of, semi-half-heartedly, when the mood strikes them, run pseudo-businesses or look at the next big thing while actually doing very little except playing video games, watching trash TV, or surfing the Web. Meanwhile, they're sponging off their parents, girlfriends, or society.

Ironically, it's not just the rich Fastlaners who end up supporting these pseudo-Fastlaners via taxes, etc. Usually, it's some poor misguided Slowlaner -- the parent, girlfriend, or spouse -- who's working a crappy job they loathe so the poser has time to pursue their "Fastlane dream."

Even as I rant about this, I do agree that "ditching the job" is key to the Fastlane, but I swear, too many people think this means they don't have to work or pay their own way. Even in the Fastlane book, when MJ "ditched the job," he earned money building Web sites.

I guess my ranty point is this: There's honor in being self-sufficient, regardless of which path you're on.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Look at it this way - if there were no slowlaners, the fastlane wouldn't exist. Personally I love that there are people more than willing to trade time for money...makes my life easier!

Lgallion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 2, 2012
This is terrible advice...
That was a joke, sorry if that didn't come through - the core message was that you can't convince people who aren't ready to change. However out of that crowd a few people are probably ready to change and so a positive message like "hey lets form a thread for programmers who want to break out on their own" might gather a few folks that are looking for a way out. Negative banter, like saying your current way of life is stupid, is just trolling.

Lgallion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 2, 2012
Look at it this way - if there were no slowlaners, the fastlane wouldn't exist. Personally I love that there are people more than willing to trade time for money...makes my life easier!

Reminds me of an important lesson I learned about outsourcing. The best defense against an eLancer from stealing your product isn't the law, it is the slow lane mentality of most people. Even when they create the product they simply don't think they could fund, market and sell it themselves. Our mental shackles are powerful stuff.

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
But in truth, too many of these people are merely lazy, self-important, and feel that holding down a regular job will cramp their style. So they sort of, semi-half-heartedly, when the mood strikes them, run pseudo-businesses or look at the next big thing while actually doing very little except playing video games, watching trash TV, or surfing the Web.

:iagree:

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Weren't you just trying to give him some credit? As if to say - You've got the talent and skill, why not make it easier on yourself and retire sooner?

Not sure why people went so crazy.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Exclaiming "You should start your own business" to a Slowlaner is likened to a Slowlaner saying to a Fastlaner "You should get a job."

The fact is, many Slowlaners are perfectly happy with their life. They don't need to be shown another way -- they're living their definition of happiness.

You can't impose your definition of happiness onto someone else.

VanToai

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 23, 2012
DC Area
Exclaiming "You should start your own business" to a Slowlaner is likened to a Slowlaner saying to a Fastlaner "You should get a job."

The fact is, many Slowlaners are perfectly happy with their life. They don't need to be shown another way -- they're living their definition of happiness.

You can't impose your definition of happiness onto someone else.

Well said. Reminds me of a Steve Pavlina quote:

I have many friends who earn very little money, can’t or won’t hold down stable jobs, and have constantly churning relationship lives. And yet, if they are happy with themselves, I typically find them fascinating and valuable people to have in my life.

I also have friends who’ve been blessed by tremendous financial success, with brilliant, decades-spanning careers and deeply loving, committed relationships. If they too are happy with themselves, I find them just as fascinating and rewarding to connect with.

When, however, I connect with people who are responsibly doing their duty, but who haven’t yet cultivated a life of happiness, I can’t help but notice the sallow desperation in their eyes, the numbness with which they speak, and the damned-if-I-do-damned-if-I-don’t game of self-deception they play each day. They feel trapped and lost to the point where they label feelings like depression and frustration with words like “fine” and “okay.”

(From "Happiness First, Then Everything Else.")

^^ Framed this way, the dichotomy isn't fastlane against slowlane & sidewalk. The dichotomy is happiness/satisfaction/contentment vs unhappiness/dissatisfaction/discontent. The economic mindset doesn't matter, as long as happiness is found.

But even with the unhappy, dissatisfied, and discontent, our will to help or change anyone else can be futile. It's a tough pill to swallow, especially in the cases where you care or love someone in that position, and you can see so clearly what you think is the right path.

The path is your own.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.