The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To dump on or prop up?

Anything related to matters of the mind

SWB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Mar 12, 2013
Sydney
I don't come here very often because I'm usually too busy, however it's Easter Monday and the rest of the house hold is asleep [emoji57] so here I am.

I was surprised and concerned by a post that I read this morning. I won't mention it but it was a fellow fastlaner who had released an app and was giving a quick update on how it was going. He not once asked for any feedback on what he should do or even if the app would be a success. Yet the replies were all about why it wasn't going to work, which is really disappointing.

We are all out that trying to make shit happen. This guy has done some amazing work and should be congratulated for his courage and tenacity to get his far.

I know a lot of you think you are amazing at what you do, and you probably are. However what gives you the right to say something is going to flop. We are all on a journey and we are at different stages of that journey. We can all help each other through a couple of supportive words ........ a written pat on the back.

It's your decision to dump on someone or prop them up. Please choose wisely.

edited : links removed by Vigilante.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

raden1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Dec 31, 2015
I don't know about the thread you are referring to. Were these people just bashing this user without a basis? Or were they offering this user criticism about why it probably won't work?

Do you think it is better people be honest about this app? And offer Criticism?

Or lie to this person and say it will be a success?

Because those are the only two options I can think of.

I am just unclear on how you think the situation should of been handled. Is there a third option I am not thinking of (besides saying nothing)?

SWB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Mar 12, 2013
Sydney
I don't know about the thread you are referring to. Were these people just bashing this user without a basis? Or were they offering this user criticism about why it probably won't work?

Do you think it is better people be honest about this app? And offer Criticism?

Or lie to this person and say it will be a success?

Because those are the only two options I can think of.

I am just unclear on how you think the situation should of been handled. Is there a third option I am not thinking of (besides saying nothing)?
Thanks @raden1 for commenting. The way I look at this is if the guy had asked for feedback then by all means give it. However he didn't. Therefore what you me or anyone else thinks about this attempt is not important. He was sharing the small successes he has had. Let's help him with that, not beat him up.

I just think it's important that we support each other where we can.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
When you put yourself out to the public, you open yourself up to criticism.
This criticism can be "It won't work" or "do this to make it do xyz better".

Telling me an app won't work in the market place will get you ignored. Not adding CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms does nothing for the person receiving it.
A simple "here is what I feel it's missing..." is proper.

There are only a few people on here I consider worth listening to when it comes to something being successful. They will very likely never tell you it won't work though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Entrepreneurs promote taking action. It saddens me that the same entrepreneurs then bash people on the action they take. I believe the problem is the people giving negative feedback (without being constructive or proactive) are the same people that wouldn't take action on the same thing due to:
1) being scared to do so (they can't see how it will work, so it must be impossible)
2) making excuses rather than looking for opportunities (they require a perfect idea with no faults)
3) having a holier than thou ego (they see that action as beneath them and they shouldn't have to start from the bottom)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
While we don't regularly give out participation trophies, the OP makes a valid point. However, as a word of caution to anyone who posts here... if you don't want comments on your business, don't post about your business here. Generally people use this place to "sharpen the saw" and make good ideas better. We also tend to help accelerate the death of bad ideas.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.