The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Time to Start Up!

SIcmart

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 17, 2012
SoCal
Hey guys and dolls,

Let me start by apologizing just in case I posted this in the wrong place, I figured I'm beginning a startup so...

Anyways, I've been a lurker on here for a long and I want to thank guys like Vigilante and LikWid24, and of course MJ (whose book I am currently re-reading!).

After thoughts about going into the licensing business, low end real estate, etc., I finally found an idea I want to pursue. It is where I believe I can provide the most value.

I don't want to talk about the idea on here just yet (I know, I know, I don't mean to be another one of those).Basically, I'm starting a website to provide a service for a specific niche. I haven't seen anything like it so far and I see a great opportunity.

Here's what I've done so far:
  1. Made basic requirements for the site and service
  2. Scheduled interviews with people in the business who I'm making the service for to get their opinions on how to tweak it to benefit them the most.
  3. Started to create a web outline and use cases.
  4. In the process of determining the best revenue model for the site.

So basically, as I move forward, I am seeking help from friends and family to find someone who can help me develop the site, as I don't believe I can do it myself...let me explain, I'm not being pessimistic. I am currently in my third year in college taking 24 credits this semester and I work part time to pay my bills. I can work on the site and design it how I want(html, css, etc) but would need help implementing the backend stuff (databases, perhaps implementing AJAX, etc.).

My next steps are to take the feedback I get after interviewing the business owners and use it to add to my requirements, etc.

I realize I have a lot of work ahead of me, but it is definitely an exciting endeavor.

Thanks again to all the great content providers on here. I know that since posting on here, I'll feel more of a sense of accountability to push forward.

--Justin

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
there are alot of nice Templates out there for websites. All you have to do is 'fill in the gaps' so to speak. This place has really nice themes.

themeforest.net

good luck

SIcmart

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 17, 2012
SoCal
Thanks for the replies guys.

@OsmanS: I have considered it, but I had a bad experience once and it left a very bad taste in my mouth! Additionally, I would prefer to work face-to-face with someone, so I'll continue searching. By the way, HOLY CRAP you're 16! Awesome to see you getting started at an early age, speed+ just for that!

@Vick: I've definitely considered going this route, thanks for the link, I'll check it out! Speed+ for the quick reply and the link!

Quick update: After talking with a trusted professor and a trusted friend who have both been in software developed for a couple of decades each, I'm leaning more and more to working on the site myself. Since I have a slight background in C++ and Java, they said I should be able to pick up the web stuff pretty fast and based on what I've been reading about more HTML, CSS, PHP, etc. I think I can too. If anyone is interested, I'll try and keep this updated and more like a progress thread!

Thanks again,

Justin

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
Since I have a slight background in C++ and Java, they said I should be able to pick up the web stuff pretty fast and based on what I've been reading about more HTML, CSS, PHP, etc. I think I can too. If anyone is interested, I'll try and keep this updated and more like a progress thread!

Keep in mind that design is also important, not only coding.

From my own experience, just do it good enough and focus on sell, sell, sell.

I wasted ton of time refining code, tweaking design details that don't matter. Well, I'm still doing code by myself because I don't have the money yet to hire a dev. But I'm working with a very different approach, so I can speed up the process and work only the necessary time in technical tasks.

As other members said above, make use of existing tools and resources, some of them free, other are very cheap.

I know what you feel, because I know how the techincal stuff works and felt "bad" for doing crappy code and things like that.

But users don't care.

Use frameworks (like CodeIgniter for back-end and Bootstrap for front-end), purchase templates that look nice, spend some time in your copy and put your product/idea out there ASAP.

machin576

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 7, 2012
I had a bad taste from tricky themes, but I found one I love on theme forest that I use. I also bought the canvas theme from woothemes.com and it is great. Plus, I have a thirty day money back guarantee if I don't like it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note ll

SIcmart

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 17, 2012
SoCal
Keep in mind that design is also important, not only coding.

From my own experience, just do it good enough and focus on sell, sell, sell.

I wasted ton of time refining code, tweaking design details that don't matter. Well, I'm still doing code by myself because I don't have the money yet to hire a dev. But I'm working with a very different approach, so I can speed up the process and work only the necessary time in technical tasks.

As other members said above, make use of existing tools and resources, some of them free, other are very cheap.

I know what you feel, because I know how the techincal stuff works and felt "bad" for doing crappy code and things like that.

But users don't care.

Use frameworks (like CodeIgniter for back-end and Bootstrap for front-end), purchase templates that look nice, spend some time in your copy and put your product/idea out there ASAP.

Yeah I agree. Luckily I have some background in programming and can get a "rough draft" of the site together and I'll have the first few pages of the site presentable. After reading healthstatus's "Learning to Program is Stupid!" thread, I realized he was dead on. Once I get a few more interviews with people in the business I plan on working with to narrow down exactly what they want, I throw the preliminary site together and focus on sell, sell, selling it to both investors and future users.

@machin576: Thanks, I'll take a look!

Thanks again guys, I have to say, I am enjoying being in the driver's seat!

--Justin

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.