The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thank You

Chuferd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 5, 2011
Indianapolis
I actually grew up in a family of entrepreneurs. It just so happened that I was on the tail end of it all. My grandfather owned a private beach club. It had a dance hall where Benny Goodman and other musical legends performed, a 1 million gallon pool, a train, frisbee golf. It closed in 1975 and sold to build at the time the largest apartment complex in the USA (Westlake Apartments on Indy's west side) My parents owned a stake in the first phase but sold out:eusa_naughty:. From there my Dad was a contractor specializing in excavating, rough and finish grade and final landscape of new homes. At the same time we ran a reception hall and catering park with leftover equipment from the beach. When my father died in 1982 the whole thing unraveled like a ball of yarn with a lion. Skip the details-I came out with $100,000 when everything sold in 1992. Unfortunately by that time I was a full blown binge drinking alcoholic. Fast forward to 2003 after 11 years of mayhem, I have a drunk episode and the next morning I have a badly broken arm. I have not drank since. I started from that point with consumer credit counseling and paid back all that I owed from ten years of I don't give a F*ck. I've built a small nest-egg. I've buried many friends since I quit drinking. My wife has seen at least 12 friends die and she is only 35. I have already exceeded any thing I could have asked for in this life. I do not need for anything at this point. But I also realize that I have a mortgage and Sallie mae breathing down my neck. I have a fire burning in me to get back to what I saw as a child. When our businesses were humming, we had it all! Land, motorcycles trips to Florida every year. My brothers and I discovered BMX and My dad built a track which would eventually go on to host national events. Everything we did worked but we did not plan for long term security so it all folded. So when I say I am in despair I have long from givin up! I will say that it was irresponsible to say I've gained nothing from this forum though because when I posted "despair" I got an outpouring of support. Some of it was kick-you-in-the-teeth honesty and some were things that I will refer back to for as long as it takes till I learn how to be the markets whore. I ultimately believe real estate is the fast lane of choice for me and my wife is finally on board with that. I want to buy a 4-plex but I do not want to pay a loop net fee. I have invested in graphene. The spell checker on here thinks graphene is a misspelled word. That will change. In the next 5 years it will be a household word.

Thank you to all who responded
Brad

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Brad,

Thank you for your post and your honesty. I think it is a good lesson for all of us to learn from.

Do you think it is possible that you ran into trouble because you were given so many things when you were young or were you required to work to earn everything you were given?

I argue with myself about this, I don't give my son big things as I am afraid he will become spoiled. It seems to have worked so far as he is a very hard working self reliant person.

Thank you in advance.

Chuferd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 5, 2011
Indianapolis
Actually I did have to work a lot but I never bothered to learn the value of money. I just thought there was an endless supply.
Brad,

Thank you for your post and your honesty. I think it is a good lesson for all of us to learn from.

Do you think it is possible that you ran into trouble because you were given so many things when you were young or were you required to work to earn everything you were given?

I argue with myself about this, I don't give my son big things as I am afraid he will become spoiled. It seems to have worked so far as he is a very hard working self reliant person.

Thank you in advance.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.