The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

TechCrunch BS

exon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 29, 2009
Croatia
T.J. Clark, Limos.com President and CEO, says he and his team couldn’t understand why there wasn’t an easy way to search, compare and book car services online after their experience with Hotwire.com, and thus set out to build one themselves.

Limos.com offers leisure travelers easy comparison of local car service companies, consumer reviews and instant online booking that shows the total cost upfront, including the driver’s tip....

Limos.com Scores $10 Million For Online Limo And Car Services Marketplace

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
How could that be TechCrunch BS? Shouldn't it be T.J. Clark's BS, no?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How could that be TechCrunch BS? Shouldn't it be T.J. Clark's BS, no?

I'll admit I was a little taken-aback by the article. I founded the company in 1997 and sold it in August 2007 which apparently is when they decided to label the *new* founding.

However, TJ and his team is responsible for the new revenue model (the "booking engine") so in some respects, this is a founding. This (online booking vs leads) is where the company needed to go if it truly wanted to become the Expedia of ground transportation. Doing the lead thing (my creation) was not a long-term, sustainable model and this is why I sold the company back in Aug 2007.

I knew where the company need to go and the money/time investment needed to make go there ... I didn't want to be the one to take it there. TJ is doing it and is doing a great job. This is also the reason why I chose to maintain a tiny stake in the company as I figured their probability of success to be high.

I just didn't know they'd make me to look like a liar.

Oh well.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
So how does it work now, do they get a percentage of the sale once the limo has actually been booked vs. selling a lead and letting the limo company deal with it...?

And wow, 15 million, that seems almost too much money to spend, is this just a game of who has better brand recognition at this point? You would think at this point the customers would be their investors.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So how does it work now, do they get a percentage of the sale once the limo has actually been booked vs. selling a lead and letting the limo company deal with it...?

You got it ... and as you can imagine, a customer service nightmare.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
IMO i think you made the right decision, you are living your life the way you want right now. You could be pushing that company right now, growing older everyday. Let them deal with the headaches. hahaha.
Doing the lead thing (my creation) was not a long-term, sustainable model and this is why I sold the company back in Aug 2007.
This really is an eye opener, considering how well things went for you, the site still wouldn't have lasted long term in its previous state. I guess things really never are a sure thing and you must always be changing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.