The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sweet Packaging.. but on the CHEAP!?

allthatjazz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 31, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
I need some help testing a product idea without dumping a ton of money into it. I believe good packaging will be important in this.

I want to go with a low quantity to test this product, but so far I've been quoted $2000 for hundreds, or $35+ per box, etc. I'm more looking in the neighborhood of $10 per box, tops... and under 25 boxes!

I'm even open to "making" the boxes myself in the beginning if I can get some ideas on how to print the company logo and such!

Does anyone have any experience, tips, or contacts for such things?

Examples of what I'm looking for...
box1.jpg
pl1373292-cardboard_rigid_gift_boxes_foil_stamping_black_luxury_gift_packaging_box_for_watch.jpg

etc...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
Have you tried personally calling the box manufacturer in person and ask for a plain sample. If you are looking for a customized or personalized box, I highly doubt any company will print/make you just a few for a very low price.

Either call the box stores in person and see what they can do or eat the initial price of testing and go for it.

Don't let the packaging or a few dollars stop you.

I've used this company in the past, not sure if they have what you need.
http://www.packagingsupplies.com/

Best of luck to you.

allthatjazz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 31, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
I have talked with a few, and it does seem like the customization and logo printing is the big factor here (no surprise).

Now, I'm beginning to think my best bet is to find a box that is close enough, and maybe even spray paint the logo on through a stencil if I can get it to look half decent. That is, unless a better solution comes up! :)

Evelio

MarketingLoopholes.com
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 21, 2014
Miami
That would contradict your first post...

I believe good packaging will be important in this.

If your idea solves a need or makes an existing product better then spend the money and get it done.

If you aren't entirely sure, then try using Facebook ads with product images to test it. I believe @JasonR has a thread that covers how to do it.

If packaging quality isn't as important as you initially stated then perhaps you can order the plain boxes and order some transparent stickers with the logo and stick it to the top of the box. If done properly it can actually look half way decent.

allthatjazz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 31, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Find a plain box, get the logo (and/or info) on a transparent sticker, then put it on the box

Not a bad idea! I'll look into that too!

That would contradict your first post...
You think so? Maybe you are right... I was just thinking if it was done well, maybe it could look good. Maybe not.

If your idea solves a need or makes an existing product better then spend the money and get it done.

If you aren't entirely sure, then try using Facebook ads with product images to test it. I believe @JasonR has a thread that covers how to do it.

If packaging quality isn't as important as you initially stated then perhaps you can order the plain boxes and order some transparent stickers with the logo and stick it to the top of the box. If done properly it can actually look half way decent.

It's one of those things where I can bring slightly higher quality, and much better customer service to the market. It is not a unique product, but at least I know there are buyers.

I don't yet know how to gauge how important packaging really is, or if people will care much about the increase quality and service. I want to put the offer out there on a small scale and see what kind of feedback I get.

I'll have to try to find that thread from Jason, sounds useful!

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
buy a primera lx 900 lx 800 commercial label printer for 1000 or a look for a used one. it prints photo quality labels on a variety of substrates including metallic. then just use generic gift boxes sourced from whatever distributor

arcola

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Feb 17, 2013
Los Angeles
hey i can help you with your packaging PM me, we do boxes in all major retailers

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.