The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Suggestion on Creating Website Marketing Plan?

Marketing, social media, advertising

livebig

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 23, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Howdy,

Looking for suggestions for books or websites that have info for a implementable website marketing plan. I don't want to use Google Adwords or anything like that. I've tried doing that in the past and it just seems to be a sinkhole for blowing money.

I know MJ had said that his costs to acquire customers was $0 because he had created such a great website. I believe that, but he still had to follow a procedure to get the word out about his site. I looked at MJ's recommended bookshelf and didn't see anything really related to marketing except Ca$hvertising and Raving Fans and Web Copy that Sells.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Michael

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Howdy,

Looking for suggestions for books or websites that have info for a implementable website marketing plan. I don't want to use Google Adwords or anything like that. I've tried doing that in the past and it just seems to be a sinkhole for blowing money.

I know MJ had said that his costs to acquire customers was $0 because he had created such a great website. I believe that, but he still had to follow a procedure to get the word out about his site. I looked at MJ's recommended bookshelf and didn't see anything really related to marketing except Ca$hvertising and Raving Fans and Web Copy that Sells.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Michael

When creating a marketing plan, before you start focusing on what tactics to use (e.g. Google Adwords) you first have to take some time figuring out a couple things first.

Use these questions and steps as your guide before putting your marketing plan together.

1) Who am I targeting? (This is the avatar of the person you want to reach and convert into a customer)
*Where are they physically?
*Demographic info?
*Psychographically what and how do they think?
*What needs do they have in the moment I want my marketing to reach them?

2) Where can I reach these people in question #1
*What magazines do they read?
*What keywords are they searching in search engines?
*What groups/pages are they a part of on facebook
*Who do these people follow on twitter?
*What does the person like/dislike
*What events do these individuals attend?

(All of the answers to these questions will give you an idea about the appropriate media to use)

3) Knowing the answers in question #2 will then show you what channels to use to get your advertisement to the right people.
-channel 1: Google adwords for people searching the term (term 1, term 2, term 3)
-channel 2: Facebook ads targeted to people who like (thing 1, thing 2, thing 3)

4) Knowing the channels you will want to work with that you figure out in question #3, you then have to write your ad copy. This is where your copywriting skill comes in....In this same step, you also have to think about the specific process you will take prospects through who see your advertisement.

For example:
step 1: prospect types in keyword 1 in google
step 2: prospect sees my ad on the right side that has the headline (XYZ) and the body copy (ABC)
step 3: when the prospect clicks they are taken to a page that looks like (THIS)
step 4: they will then do XYZ when they are on that page....which leads to money for me in this way...

You have to think about all of the moving parts to the individual campaign for it to be successful.

Marketing is more than just "buying media."

5) You then also have to have a plan for your prospect after they become a customer. Are you going to upsell, cross sell, downsell products to them? How will you do this during your sales process, or after they have purchased? How will you continually follow up with them after they have become a customer?

This should get you started. Let me know if you have any further questions.

livebig

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 23, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Thanks so much, Wealthy Mind. That was very helpful. I've got my work cut out for me :)

Momentum

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 21, 2011
Nashville, TN
Great info, WealthyMind. Thanks for taking the time to add detail to your response.

This is a topic that all of us will have to be familiar with at some point.

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Thanks so much, Wealthy Mind. That was very helpful. I've got my work cut out for me :)

My pleasure man! Let me know if you have any questions. I would be more than happy to help you out!

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas

One KEY thing they left out in this plan is...

*Leverage influence of top diggers to submit blog content into digg, that probably 1/5 would hit the frontpage and send a slew of 50,000-100,000 visits per hit over a 24 hour period...generating a slew of backlinks that creates SEO juice in google....

Not to mention...twitter and facebook posts galore...

Only reason I know this is because I am friends with some of the top diggers... :)

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
One KEY thing they left out in this plan is...

*Leverage influence of top diggers to submit blog content into digg, that probably 1/5 would hit the frontpage and send a slew of 50,000-100,000 visits per hit over a 24 hour period...generating a slew of backlinks that creates SEO juice in google....

Not to mention...twitter and facebook posts galore...

Only reason I know this is because I am friends with some of the top diggers... :)

Yeah, this is huge! Connections matter and can push you ahead way further. Now developing friendship with top influencers is not easy cuz everyone's pitching them.. This applies to bloggers/diggers/stumbleupon users etc.

There could be an argument made that Digg/SU traffic isn't as sticky as others but I was lucky enough to have had minor success with StumbleUpon and some people did stick to my blog and then they kept stumbling my stuff..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.