The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I Am Thinking Of Quitting SEO And Doing My Dream Idea!

Idea threads

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Hey guys,

I created a thread a few days ago about how I was frustrated with google and that maybe SEO was just not for me. I am really creative and doing SEO, I am not able to express my creativity.

I got into SEO 2 years ago, made a little bit of money but now I am stuck, not really going anywhere. I realize that maybe its not for me and the advice from one of the other members here is to just "let it lie".

So I have been really thinking about an idea that I had and I have been wanting to do it for some time, but I was consumed doing SEO. It is something that really truly inspires and motivates me in every single way.

So, my dilemma is I have no money coming in. Just money saved up from SEO. I want to get started on my idea right away. I was waiting for money to come in to fund it but it looks like that is not happening.

So I am going to bootstrap it. Any words of wisdom for bootstrapping a business? I dont care what what it takes or how many hours or jobs I have to work, I don't give up and I don't take no for answer.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks guys!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

thespotnet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 21, 2012
Victor, Idaho
Hi Dan,

If you have read MJs book, then the only thing I would have to say is - what are you waiting for. If SEO is not what you want to do then DON'T do it. You are not going to enjoy what you are doing and is just going to get worse. If you are going to make the change then make your decision and do it - whatever you decide. Next, I would skip all the programming learning and learn a platform like Wordpress or Joomla - as much as you can, as fast as you can. Then get you website/business up and going. Both of these platforms are free with plenty of documentation on the internet you can reference for free. Once you have all that done - take all the SEO knowledge you have and make it work for YOU!

matt

D

DeletedUser2

bootstraping 101.

what is the need you are addressing

how fast can you go sell something

how quick can you repeat the above? and sell more?

don't spend money unless you know it will directly move you forward towards making a sale

have a list of "critical path" items that moves you exactly forward to the goal you are achieving.

make sales your number 1 and number 2 and number 3 priority.

never wait for perfection. it will be along about the time you are 200 years dead.

your sales will give you feedback that will allow you to improve your product, process, and direction. TRUST that as your compass.

don't listen to others unless your seeking out their specific advice.

get used to being laughed and and ridiculed. its part of the admission application to success.

right now is always "Barely Soon Enough" Get used to lighting your hair on fire and getting things done.

move in massive ways that scare the shit outta yourself.

Do all these. the money is a byproduct of action. and refinement.

refinement cannot happen in a vacuum, you need feed back from your customers to refine, go get some of those first.

Set a big red X on your calendar for when you will launch/ship/sell your first piece of work, what ever that is.
make it a line in the sand that you cannot blow past.

keep that big red X in front of you at all times.

stop reading this and start doing it.
Z

never be so afraid that you are not willing to do something so massive that it will scare everyone else around you. that's how great things happen

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Matt- Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the advice!

zen******* - Thanks for the support. I know sales is a huge part of a successful business but the venture I want to pursue is a little more unique. There is a need there no doubt, but filling that need people won't specifically pay for it. Although advertisers for this specific group of people using my service will. But first I need to grow my fan base before advertisers will be interested.

So I am assuming my goal would be to focus on growing the number of people who use my service before I can focus on selling advertisers.

So this is where I get a little worried about cashflow. It seems that I might be spending a lot of money before I will start making some.

I know nothing is impossible, but does this make things harder? I don't want to get going and realize that I don't have enough capital to keep going. But, I don't want investors. I guess I am in a pickle?

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
move in massive ways that scare the shit outta yourself.

Almost poetic :)

I'll re-attach the flow again for ya:
Code:
Step 1: Idea
Step 2: Anyone doing it yet?
If above
{
    Step 3: Find out how much they are selling
    If above == "Well, well, well..."
    {
        Step 4: Find their soft belly
        Step 5: Test your USP, until you find one that works
        Step 6: Build
     }
}
else
{
   Step 3: Why not? Test by pre-selling.
   if above == "Sales"
   {
        Step 4: Build/protect IP etc.
   }
   else
   {
        Step 4: Improve the conversion by changing the offer or proposition or traffic source a few times
        If above == "Sales"
        {
             Step 5: Build/protect IP etc.
        }
        else
        {
            Step 5: print "f it."
            Step 6: Go for a walk, you'll get another better idea
        }
    }
}

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Hey guys,

I created a thread a few days ago about how I was frustrated with google and that maybe SEO was just not for me. I am really creative and doing SEO, I am not able to express my creativity.

I got into SEO 2 years ago, made a little bit of money but now I am stuck, not really going anywhere. I realize that maybe its not for me and the advice from one of the other members here is to just "let it lie".

So I have been really thinking about an idea that I had and I have been wanting to do it for some time, but I was consumed doing SEO. It is something that really truly inspires and motivates me in every single way.

So, my dilemma is I have no money coming in. Just money saved up from SEO. I want to get started on my idea right away. I was waiting for money to come in to fund it but it looks like that is not happening.

So I am going to bootstrap it. Any words of wisdom for bootstrapping a business? I dont care what what it takes or how many hours or jobs I have to work, I don't give up and I don't take no for answer.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks guys!

Dan do you remember my posts from just a week ago?

How I did not trust SEO and thought it was a house of cards?

And then WHAM Goolge pulls another Panda on everyone.

I am VERY sorry to hear things have hit you so hard. As I said Google has absolutely ZERO incentive to have a consistent way of a person doing SEO. It goes against their business plan which is to SELL pay for clicks.

That being said I always think people should pursue their dreams. As long as you don't burn through your savings and then end up having to work a job you really hate.

BEST of luck you man!

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
Good decision Dan! I use to do some SEO and was a BHW member also. But I stopped visiting BHW and I've been using my time/creativity more productively. I don't like SEO because to me it seems like it violates the commandments of control, entry and time.

I don't think SEO is a fastlane but it can be used to improve your fastlane. So it's a good skill to carry.

Good luck with new business.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Dan do you remember my posts from just a week ago?

How I did not trust SEO and thought it was a house of cards?

And then WHAM Goolge pulls another Panda on everyone.

I am VERY sorry to hear things have hit you so hard. As I said Google has absolutely ZERO incentive to have a consistent way of a person doing SEO. It goes against their business plan which is to SELL pay for clicks.

That being said I always think people should pursue their dreams. As long as you don't burn through your savings and then end up having to work a job you really hate.

BEST of luck you man!

Hi Patrick,

The irony! I am thinking maybe it is a good wake up call. I realized a lot and maybe I can take this as a learning experience.

It sometimes takes things to go horrible wrong till realize what is right.

Thanks Pat

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Hi Patrick,

The irony! I am thinking maybe it is a good wake up call. I realized a lot and maybe I can take this as a learning experience.

It sometimes takes things to go horrible wrong till realize what is right.

Thanks Pat

Hey Dan,

I am so VERY glad you took my post in the spirit it was made.

I put the post up and then left my house. Well for the next few hours I thought OH no maybe I worded the post in a way that Dan could take the wrong way and think it was a slam.

VERY sorry to hear what happened to your site. I think you have a GREAT attitude about it.

Take care.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Hey Dan,

I am so VERY glad you took my post in the spirit it was made.

I put the post up and then left my house. Well for the next few hours I thought OH no maybe I worded the post in a way that Dan could take the wrong way and think it was a slam.

VERY sorry to hear what happened to your site. I think you have a GREAT attitude about it.

Take care.

Thanks Pat. I totally understood what you meant and it really makes a ton of sense. I have had this sort of realization after this last google update and I am totally glad I did. I will take this as a major sign :)

Thanks again!

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
Dan,

Would you possibly be interested in doing a JV? PM me as I can handle design/(most)programming and am really looking for someone to handle the marketing side of things (Even thought I am experienced in that field, I still think 2 heads are better than one). I realize you're wanting to get out of SE,O so please let me know whether or not your looking to ride solo or not.

Dan Da Man

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 20, 2012
San Diego
Guys, I realize SEO may not be my thing but as I am low on money and I know this is not something I will pursue for the rest of my life, I am thinking of giving it 3 months to try and produce some income which will help me support my other ventures.

My current status. I own 5 e commerce stores. Some getting good traffic but not converting (mostly due to the product I am assuming) and one completely sandboxed and the others are pretty new. The other two that were converting I sold.

So, I have all the products uploaded and all the content on the site. As for SEO i am doing it all myself to save money.

I am also doing some PPC to give it a try. I have $15,000 to spend but I am also moving out and going to need that to live. So my budget to spend on PPC is $1,000 within 3 months and SEO will be done by me.

My goal is to get at least one site profitting. If within 3 months of SEO and PPC and I see no end in site, I am going to move on to my one of my million other ideas.

I have no problem failing, in fact it makes me stronger. It is just feeling that I might be doing something that just isn't right.

Ill keep those interested in my pursuit and any advice is always appreciated.

Dan

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
nice thread with a los good posts! i am also a seo and it sucks that it is so not fastlane :p

how are you doing?
i think it's not a bad thing to use seo for e commerce sites but to really make big money your web desing should be great so that you have a high conversion rate... if that is the case get great at ppc and buy the traffic! if you are able to get a good roi via ppc you can really scale your sites up really fast and you don't have to care of being hit by the next google change

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.