The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sleep Paralysis Needs To GO

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
God damn I've never felt anything more horrifying. Just had my worst episode yet and since I'm fresh out of it and don't want to burden anyone I'm living with or my girl anymore than I already have, here's the details...

Gain some consciousness. Feel like I'm in a familiar room but can't move and I'm laying down sideways. Feels like I'm in there for hours. Weird presence is in the room. I can see a cushion on a couch being imprinted like someone is sitting there when they are not. I start to mutter hey...hey...hey!! Nothing. My eyes start to open. I'm still paralyzed and I'm drifting between seeing my real life room and seeing the dream. After what seems like an eternity, I finally wake up.

What triggered this? I woke up at 4am yesterday morning to do work on only a few hours sleep, then took a 3 hour evening nap and was groggy and I shouldn't have. Plus a ton of physical exertion today, I think my body is stressed and my mind is weak so it happened.

Thoughts on this? I'm going to see my doctor. This has happened to me probably 25 times. Don't even want to go back to sleep now. I'm a 22 year old active very healthy male. Started like 3 years ago.

If anyone finds a solution other than wiggling your toes, scrunching your face, or some cheap info product, there is definitely people who will pay. This shit is terrifying.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tyman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Apr 27, 2014
Feel like I'm in a familiar room but can't move and I'm laying down sideways. Feels like I'm in there for hours. Weird presence is in the room. I can see a cushion on a couch being imprinted like someone is sitting there when they are not. I start to mutter hey...hey...hey!! Nothing. My eyes start to open. I'm still paralyzed and I'm drifting between seeing my real life room and seeing the dream. After what seems like an eternity, I finally wake up.

Sorry I have no helpful information but this sounds like an amazing scary book / story.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Sleep in different positions?
while i was watching my nephew yesterday morning after only getting 3 hours of sleep i fell asleep on the couch and went into the 1st stage of lucid dreaming in and out several times

And every time i went back into sleep paralysis with some ghost girl, you know the ones you see in the movies

But going to a doctor may help

I notice i only get sleep paralysis when i sleep on my back

edit: the reason you cant move is your body i guess disconnects itself? to stop you from hurting yourself while dreaming

Cruor Vult

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Feb 18, 2014
The only times I had this I was sleeping in a room that was not dark. Try to make your bedroom darker, it may help.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If anyone finds a solution other than wiggling your toes, scrunching your face, or some cheap info product, there is definitely people who will pay. This shit is terrifying.

Used to happen to me quite frequently. Scared the crap out of my wife as I was trying to scream and all that came out was quiet, muffled, distressed noises. Now when she hears them (which is thankfully very infrequently) she jumps to action and shakes me awake which works instantly.

For me it was always heavily tied to stress and probably also diet. I was getting it once a week maybe, or at least a few times a month. Since I've changed my diet (cut out 80% of the junk, breads, sugars, etc...), started lightly working out, and building my business I haven't had an "episode" in probably 6-12 months now.

It sucks man. Sleep Paralysis / Hypnagogia is some terrifying shit. Like a terrible hallucination that you are tied down for. I hope you find your own solution.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I've heard it's more common when you're really tired/stressed out. Take care of that and it might happen less.

That sounds really scary.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Ah, sleep paralysis, a misunderstood and controversial subject. A dark presence or figure is usually associated with it. The mind is awake but the body fails to respond. Others think you are stuck between the spirit realm and the living realm.

As difficult as it may sound, being self aware can prevent this from occurring. If you fully understand that it's in your sleep and you will not be hurt, you can usually push through it. Many people purposely induce it.

I had one particular experience that I've never found anyone to relate to, even with google searching.

I thought I was awake; the setting was perfect. I lay in bed with my girlfriend, and typical of sleep paralysis, a dark figure passed by. Suddenly I hear and feel an extremely loud buzzing as my entire body was being electrocuted, and I could literally feel my entire body vibrating. I thought the electrocution itself was causing me to be unable to move, not the fact that is was a form of sleep paralysis. I tried moving my girlfriend to see if she was also being shocked, and tried looking to my left to see if my alarm clock cord with electrifying the bed frame. Finally after what I would estimate to be about thirty seconds of loud, paralyzing shock, I busted out of it and questioned her what just happened. She didn't recall a single thing so I knew it was all in my sleep.

Anyway, If you would to research the topic, I would recommend this forum. http://www.dreamviews.com/forum.php

I am in no way associated with that forum, but I know it had alot of interesting reading pertaining dream control, lucidicy, wake induced dreaming, sleep paralysis, etc.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
It is scary as fck. At first I was laying on my back and then I'd feel like I'm drowning in the sea without being able to move. I then tried sleeping on my stomach and I'd have dreams of getting stabbed from behind while looking over my shoulder without being able to move. Nowadays I'm taking 0,3 mg of Melatonin half an hour before bed and I'm sleeping like a baby.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The trick would be just let it go and stop thinking about it. In other words what ever you focus on you think about. So if you're focusing on a negative experience that produces fear, you paralyze yourself. What is there really to fear or be afraid of? Even if you're in a dream state, if you recognize fear it's only real if you perceive it as threatening.

Last edited:

Carrots

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Apr 1, 2013
Texas
Whenever I open my eyes and realize I'm paralyzed I just close my eyes and go back to sleep. I already know whatever I see is going to be some freaky a$$ shit like some face changin human spider hybrid.

ain't nobody got time fo dat

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
God damn I've never felt anything more horrifying. Just had my worst episode yet and since I'm fresh out of it and don't want to burden anyone I'm living with or my girl anymore than I already have, here's the details...

Gain some consciousness. Feel like I'm in a familiar room but can't move and I'm laying down sideways. Feels like I'm in there for hours. Weird presence is in the room. I can see a cushion on a couch being imprinted like someone is sitting there when they are not. I start to mutter hey...hey...hey!! Nothing. My eyes start to open. I'm still paralyzed and I'm drifting between seeing my real life room and seeing the dream. After what seems like an eternity, I finally wake up.

What triggered this? I woke up at 4am yesterday morning to do work on only a few hours sleep, then took a 3 hour evening nap and was groggy and I shouldn't have. Plus a ton of physical exertion today, I think my body is stressed and my mind is weak so it happened.

Thoughts on this? I'm going to see my doctor. This has happened to me probably 25 times. Don't even want to go back to sleep now. I'm a 22 year old active very healthy male. Started like 3 years ago.

Should use it to your advantage and learn how to lucid dream.

I lucid dream all the time, and know many people that would (believe it or not) kill to have that degree of sleep paralysis.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Fun fact: It's believed that most "aliens abduction me from my bed" stories are attributed to sleep paralysis due to how real and terrifying it feels.

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
This happend to me just few days ago.. Wasnt scary, I was just pretty confused seeing my room but being unable to move..

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Wasnt scary, I was just pretty confused seeing my room but being unable to move..

Extremely real hallucinations aren't always a symptom but they are quite common. Count yourself lucky.

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Extremely real hallucinations

= Dreaming

I seriously recommend learning how to lucid dream (If sleep paralysis is still an issue). It's not scary, or much of a problem at all when you become familiar with your body's process of falling into an unconscious state, and dreaming.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Its when you are caught in limbo between consciousness and a dream. I remember when it happened to me. Couldn't move, couldn't speak (no voice came out). I then heard someone open my front door and come up my stairs. I kept trying to kick as hard as i could. It worked.

Don't sleep on your back!

royalflush

warp 9
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Jun 20, 2014
Avoid eating too much during dinner time. And don't eat 3 hours before sleeping.

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Happens to me a few times a year, scares the shit outta me. My mind wants to scream as high as hell but nothing comes out. Takes a few minutes for the sound to come out. I hate it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
= Dreaming

It's not quite as cut and dry as that. To say it was a "nightmare" is really underplaying what's going on and kind of insulting the reality of the situation.

Your emotions are totally jacked and the hallucinations (or "dreams" as you put it) are overlayed into your present environment. It's like a waking nightmare in an extreme emotional state and a complete inability to respond.

I'm glad you haven't had any severe cases of it and/or are more capable or trained in handling that situation but as someone who doesn't flinch at even the worst nightmares and has no irrational fears in the waking world, sleep paralysis is still terrifying even after experiencing it dozens of times and logically understanding what goes on. Once I'm fully awake I calm down easily and go back to bed without issue but in the moment it's gut-wrenching terror.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
Pick up a book on lucid dreaming. You should be able to figure out how to work with this dream state. This is a good thing.

Aidan

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
It's not quite as cut and dry as that. To say it was a "nightmare" is really underplaying what's going on and kind of insulting the reality of the situation.

Your emotions are totally jacked and the hallucinations (or "dreams" as you put it) are overlayed into your present environment. It's like a waking nightmare in an extreme emotional state and a complete inability to respond.

I'm glad you haven't had any severe cases of it and/or are more capable or trained in handling that situation but as someone who doesn't flinch at even the worst nightmares and has no irrational fears in the waking world, sleep paralysis is still terrifying even after experiencing it dozens of times and logically understanding what goes on. Once I'm fully awake I calm down easily and go back to bed without issue but in the moment it's gut-wrenching terror.

I can induce it myself, and understand the reality. I'm not attempting to insult any of it.

Whether you like it or not, you're naturally predisposed to lucidity (which again, a lot of people who educate t would kill for this ability), which is being both between conscious and unconscious. Which also means that you should learn about lucid dreaming (again, whether you like it or not). It'll help you control your sleep paralysis.

You logically understand what's going on in your situation, but what's frightening you is the fact that you do not know how to control it. Not knowing how to have control over your body just some hours after having complete control of it (before you slept), would be scary to anyone.

Ryan Oshe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Mar 24, 2014

Look at forums that discuss lucid dreaming, as horrible as it sounds some people try to induce what you experienced. I cannot explain much myself because I never got into lucid dreaming.

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Surprised by the sheer amount of people that have replied or are knowledgeable about the subject. Thanks for the responses, suggestions, and help. Lucid dreaming is definitely an interesting subject. I will buy myself a book on it to get a deeper understanding. I've read about it before but only scratched the surface. Maybe I can use it in a beneficial way somehow.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Like others have said, it's a gift you should learn to control. For most, lucid dreaming takes months of work and experience. If you learn to control your emotions during sleep paralysis, you can enter the realm of lucid dreaming directly from that state.

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
Extremely real hallucinations aren't always a symptom but they are quite common. Count yourself lucky.
Its actually kind of funny, because as I was lying in my bed paralysed I felt "someone" poke me in the shoulder (I was lying on my stomach) lol I had a dream about a girl and so the first thing I thought was "Its her!" because I felt something like finger with long nails poke me, trying to wake me up or check out if Im alive or something lol but then came confusion as I coudnt turn my head to see whos doing this.. I know it sounds wierd, but this happend, I havent seen anything more than my room and had this real feeling someone trying to wake you up, poking in the shoulder

sambreaker20

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Apr 4, 2011
In my culture supposedly it's a ghost sitting on you. One time my wife and I had sleep paralysis right after another it was weird. I would have it and wake up then she would. Totally creepy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.