The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Side gigs to fund my real startup

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

forchunet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 6, 2013
So - to fund my real startup (see my progress thread) I've decided to get back into freelancing and building MVP's for other people.

I threw this site together and was wondering what you all thought regarding domain name, the copy, the examples and the overall feel.

Also, any thoughts on the price? I think its very reasonable considering everything I'm throwing in, but I'd like to know what others on this forum think.

twoweekmvp.com

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Zl1996

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Mar 25, 2015
What is a MVP? I googled it and still don't know what it is. Is this a commonly used term in the industry that you are serving, or is it just me? I'm assuming it's a webpage based on the link you provided.

If you are building websites, you need to perk up your site a bit, make it more prettiful.

What you wrote isn't copy, its a description of your service. Copy means getting at what your customer REALLY wants, getting at the emotional reasons for why they want to build a website and telling how you fulfill it in the best way possible.

Also your website is very YOU centric, rather than being customer centric. (based on what you wrote) You should work more on showing your customers how you can help them, rather than spending so much time qualifying yourself.

Hope this helps.

forchunet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 6, 2013
What is a MVP? I googled it and still don't know what it is.
Thanks for the comments but you're obviously not in the target market. This is not a simple website design service.

MVP = Minimally Viable Product. "In product development, the minimum viable product (MVP) is the product with the highest return on investment versus risk. The term was coined and defined by Frank Robinson, and popularized by Steve Blank, and Eric Ries (for web applications)."

And it's literally the second link in google...

Last edited:

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
What is a MVP? I googled it and still don't know what it is. Is this a commonly used term in the industry that you are serving, or is it just me? I'm assuming it's a webpage based on the link you provided.

If you are building websites, you need to perk up your site a bit, make it more prettiful.

What you wrote isn't copy, its a description of your service. Copy means getting at what your customer REALLY wants, getting at the emotional reasons for why they want to build a website and telling how you fulfill it in the best way possible.

Also your website is very YOU centric, rather than being customer centric. (based on what you wrote) You should work more on showing your customers how you can help them, rather than spending so much time qualifying yourself.

Hope this helps.
MVP stands for Model View Presenter if I'm not mistaken. In programming, it is a type of hierarchy for how the data flows. You may have heard of Model View Control (MVC) which is pretty popular. Don't know why the OP couldn't have told you that.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
@forchunet don't discount the feedback so quickly. While @Zl1996 might not understand that MVP means Minimum Viable Product, MVP does mean different things to different people. For you it means a website/web app; for others it may mean an standalone app, a physical product, etc. The 'product' element of MVP is open to interpretation.

On your site you have a blanket subheading stating: "I will build your MVP with a great design for $3,000 and deliver it in 2 weeks" but I was also unsure about what kind of MVP you were referring to. It wasn't until I saw the images under the 'About Me' section that I figured out you meant a web app. Then I went back and read "You get a completely functional web app..." There are other elements in the copy that also muddy what you're strengths are and what you're creating for the fee.

Other points:
  • As noted, above the copy is very "I" centered rather than value or customer-centric. "I will...", "...I write", "About Me"
  • Design/Fee structure - Not value-centric either. 50% upfront with one iteration? Why would someone choose you over hiring someone ranked on Freelancer or UpWork (oDesk)? Realistically that's who you're competing against. If clients are monitoring and testing as you progress, what constitutes an iteration vs a correction in a misunderstanding?
  • Noting this as a 'Limited time offer' under Miscellaneous loses it's impact and sense of urgency.
  • Your 'handy' links to share the offer are dead as are your social links at the bottom of the page. It doesn't look good considering you're offering to create a webpage for others.
  • The format makes the page seem long and wordy even though there isn't that much text there. Use the horizontal space, not just the vertical. Use bullets, change font types for emphasis and make it sizzle. Again the overall site design doesn't look good considering the type of service that you're offering.
  • The text justification (centered) also makes it difficult to read. Frame the text and make it fully justified or left justified to improve ease of reading.
Given what you're trying to sell, your page should be more powerful and impactful than any of the samples of your work that you post. This site is YOUR baby! Invest the time and energy to make it fantastic to sell your services. It looks like a bland off-the-shelf WordPress theme at the moment.

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
I might need an MPV, but I don't know because I don't have a clue what it is.

Just a little thought for when you are marketing the service.
(Unless it's one of they things where if you don't know what it is, you don't need it)

forchunet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 6, 2013
I could be confrontational here but I'd rather not. Thanks for the comments guys. The site is built for people who know what they want and want to move fast. People who don't know the difference from what I'm offering and what you'd get with an overseas dev shop aren't the type of customer I'm looking for - they're typically high maintenance. This is as much me picking the client and projects as it is vice versa.

Bottom line - for the price and time frame, people are getting a well quality MVP that they can then take and acquire their first users with.

I've gotten a handful of inquiries from this site, so again, thanks a lot. I'll think upon the suggestions from this thread and implement accordingly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.