The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I move forward with my idea if someone is already doing it

Idea threads

damondietz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Apr 22, 2011
Holmdel, New Jersey, United States
I thought I had a groundbreaking idea and I was ready to implement but I found out that there is another company who does exactly what I wanted to do. it's not well known in the industry but the websites done very well and I'm wondering if you think it's something I should move forward with. like MJ says just because someone else is doing it doesn't mean you can't do it better but the company who is doing is a major player and very big. I'm at the crossroads and I'm not sure what to do.

Advice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
What can you do more effectively than they are doing? That is what you need to ask yourself. Customer service? delivery times? marketing? etc.

You need to offer something that they can't/won't.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
This is one of those times when I point out how silly it is to worry about sharing your "ideas" with the forum. There really aren't many new ideas -- just modifications to existing ideas.

I wouldn't do exactly what this guy is doing. Like CEBenz says, find something that you can do better than them.

McDonalds didn't create food -- they made it faster.

FedEx didn't invent mail delivery -- they made it overnight.

Ford didn't invent the car -- they made it cheaper.

Take what that competitor is doing -- and make it better, faster, cheaper, smaller, bigger, more automated, whatever.

But whatever you do -- don't do "nothing".

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
If someone's already doing it, and making money, that to me just means part of your research is already done - market proven. As above, find a way to improve it, put your own spin on it, or brand it better etc and do it.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
MJ did exactly what your talking about. He was one of the little guys going up against big companies. He focused on what he can do to be different and better than the rest. It's gonna take a lot of hard work but if you know you can do it better then go for it! Remember, you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Just throw some nice rims on it!

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
what size is your market? is there only room for 1 company?

there were tens/hundreds of youtubes, groupons, evites, zynga's, facebooks in varying forms at all times these succeeded etc....The way the few succeed is execution and partnerships. Those are the only ones you hear about and assume they were the only game in town.

If they are the only game around(which i highly doubt), they will often benefit with some competition raising market awareness of the product/service to new customers.

Ever wonder why car dealerships (competitors) often group together? they all sell more cars when drawing more consumers than isolated dealers.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
This was a great question that I was wondering myself. I'm really impressed with the culture here! Much better than the places I've been going. ugh! Finally some real value givers!

Cinnabon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 1, 2011
I happen to stumble onto this thread earlier this morning. Then a few minutes ago I decided to see if my favorite business name is taken. Sadly enough I landed on the website of a competitor. I'm bummed that my choice name has been taken. This company, and another key competitor I found are both just 2 years old. And both are missing out on key elements that I plan to features. It really motivates me to get moving on my ideas!

Cinnabon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Oct 1, 2011
I happen to stumble onto this thread earlier this morning. Then a few minutes ago I decided to see if my favorite business name is taken. Sadly enough I landed on the website of a competitor. I'm bummed that my choice name has been taken. This company, and another key competitor I found are both just 2 years old. And both are missing out on key elements that I plan to features. It really motivates me to get moving on my ideas!

Of note, I didn't find the company during hours and weeks of key word searches. I only found them by inadvertently searching their company name. So there is a big opportunity for SEO.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
As they say, "a rising tide lifts all boats", so if the demand is there for whatever it is I say you should go for it! If they are doing well, you probably will too. Even if you can't think of anything to differentiate yourself right now, I bet you will as you go along.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I thought I had a groundbreaking idea and I was ready to implement but I found out that there is another company who does exactly what I wanted to do. it's not well known in the industry but the websites done very well and I'm wondering if you think it's something I should move forward with. like MJ says just because someone else is doing it doesn't mean you can't do it better but the company who is doing is a major player and very big. I'm at the crossroads and I'm not sure what to do.

Advice?
Be really successful at tweaking it a little bit, and then run like hell with it. That other company is your built-in buyer for your eventual exit!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.