The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I go to college

StepBow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 4, 2023
USA
Hi, I'm currently in high school and want to have my own trucking business. My parents are hardcore slow laners and believe that I should get a 4 year college degree and then graduation school and get something like an mba. I really do not see the point in this because I feel like most business degrees are mess around type of degrees, I can learn the information online, and will be in debt. Most likely if I did go to college and followed their ideal path I would not be able to start until I am around 24 and be in debt but if I start right out of high school I would be able to work in the industry for probably a year or two and then start my business at 19 or 20. Everyone I have talked to in person says get the degree but I think a degree would only be worth it if is a career such as a doctor, lawyer, and etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Hi, I'm currently in high school and want to have my own trucking business. My parents are hardcore slow laners and believe that I should get a 4 year college degree and then graduation school and get something like an mba. I really do not see the point in this because I feel like most business degrees are mess around type of degrees, I can learn the information online, and will be in debt. Most likely if I did go to college and followed their ideal path I would not be able to start until I am around 24 and be in debt but if I start right out of high school I would be able to work in the industry for probably a year or two and then start my business at 19 or 20. Everyone I have talked to in person says get the degree but I think a degree would only be worth it if is a career such as a doctor, lawyer, and etc.

Sounds like you're asking for validation disguised as advice because your mind seems pretty made up.

My question would be, how are you going to buy your first truck? Maybe you need a job instead of college?

StepBow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 4, 2023
USA
Sounds like you're asking for validation disguised as advice because your mind seems pretty made up.

My question would be, how are you going to buy your first truck? Maybe you need a job instead of college?
Yeah it honestly is made up. But for the first truck I would be working in the industry for a few years after I graduate highs cool. I will graduate at 18 so if I start around 19-20 that will give me about 2 years of full time work. And from my job as of right now I have saved up a solid amount since I have basically no expenses

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 3, 2015
Yeah it honestly is made up. But for the first truck I would be working in the industry for a few years after I graduate highs cool. I will graduate at 18 so if I start around 19-20 that will give me about 2 years of full time work. And from my job as of right now I have saved up a solid amount since I have basically no expenses

Will you still be living with your parents in that time? If not, make sure you calculate living expenses into your budget.

I would say, if you have a chance to go to college and earn a higher salary, take it, plus college will broaden your horizons. Maybe after 2 years of college you realise a trucking business isn't for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...