The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I Build My Credit?

D

DeletedUser394

Why?

Do you mean leave it open and don't use it? Or just keep using it along with whatever other card I get?

It dings your credit.

Don't have to ever use the card, or you can use it every day. Makes little difference, just don't close the account.

livegrowfree

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 19, 2014
The fico score is partly based on how long you've had credit. So keeping your oldest credit card account open would be wise.

Keep your utilization under 25% and you'll see the score grow.

And if you do apply for a new card, make sure you do not apply within a minimum of 6 months to another card. Accepted or rejected.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Under-Dog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jan 16, 2015
So.Cal
Don't close the account, age of credit affects your score. The older your credit the better. I believe the national average is like 5 years 11 months. Use it or don't just leave the account open.

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
Don't close it. But don't completely stop using it either, inactive accounts are bad for credit too.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
inactive accounts are bad for credit too.
This is what I was wondering about. Kind of silly. So for the people on here who mentioned they have several cards they have to constantly use all of them in order to keep their credit good?

D

DeletedUser394

This is what I was wondering about. Kind of silly. So for the people on here who mentioned they have several cards they have to constantly use all of them in order to keep their credit good?

I've got 5 right now. It's easy to lose track of what's going where, etc.

But nothing bad happens if you don't use one of your cards for a month or two or longer.

Credit utilization is far more important (ie the amount of your credit you use every month). lower the better.

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
It would be great if there was a once and for all 100% accurate source for what it's taken to into account on your score and what isn't. It's hard to know what to believe.

Danyer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Mar 1, 2016
Philadelphia
Building credit using my parents credit currently - called 'piggybacking'.
My mother had me on a few of her credit cards (she has an excellent credit score so I didn't mind), that helped me tremendously as I didn't actually have to build credit, I literally had a score in the mid 700's before even starting. As long as your parents are responsible, I certainly recommend having them doing this for you if you're still in your teens-early 20's.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
My mother had me on a few of her credit cards (she has an excellent credit score so I didn't mind), that helped me tremendously as I didn't actually have to build credit, I literally had a score in the mid 700's before even starting. As long as your parents are responsible, I certainly recommend having them doing this for you if you're still in your teens-early 20's.
Awesome. Yeah, it's something I'm just learning about and came across that through some internet searches.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
It would be great if there was a once and for all 100% accurate source for what it's taken to into account on your score and what isn't. It's hard to know what to believe.

http://affordanything.com/2015/04/14/how-to-hack-your-credit-score/

There IS an article definitively showing how your credit score is created / updated... it's a good read!

Like mentioned by other people in this thread, try to keep your consumer-based debts to a minimum. Having a bad credit score will definitely cost you in interest, lost opportunities, etc. It's better to pay with cash when you can, but having credit available is an awesome privilege. Be careful with it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.