The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should a blog/website be written in 1st or 3rd?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Molattee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 9, 2013
Indonesia - Jakarta
Hey everyone. :)

So I'm planning on launching my own website/blog now. This will be my second website with a new domain because my first one was an epic failure. That being said, a question has popped into my mind: What is better for a blog/website: 1st person writing or 3rd person writing?[/i]

Now I know that when it comes to blogs or websites we should just write however we feel most comfortable. But ignore that rule for a second and ask, what is better for website's reputation/overall feel; a website that is written similarly as a diary OR a website that is written in the form of a magazine/newspaper.

Which do YOU feel is as a better experience?

I'm asking this because I've known of very successful websites (traffic-wise) that write their posts/articles in 1st and 3rd

I'm looking forward to the opinions. :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jeffdelacruz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hey everyone. :)

So I'm planning on launching my own website/blog now. This will be my second website with a new domain because my first one was an epic failure. That being said, a question has popped into my mind: What is better for a blog/website: 1st person writing or 3rd person writing?[/i]

Now I know that when it comes to blogs or websites we should just write however we feel most comfortable. But ignore that rule for a second and ask, what is better for website's reputation/overall feel; a website that is written similarly as a diary OR a website that is written in the form of a magazine/newspaper.

Which do YOU feel is as a better experience?

I'm asking this because I've known of very successful websites (traffic-wise) that write their posts/articles in 1st and 3rd

I'm looking forward to the opinions. :D

I like to do everything first person. I follow the Neil Patel thought process on blogging, which is make it long, make it personal and give away as much information as possible. I'd start with his blog on Quicksprout. This is where I started. The goal is to engage people and keep them coming back for more.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I'm a fan of personal, conversational language. Blogging was originally meant to be opinionated and personal; the evolution of blogging as a business tool within marketing or building strategy has created all these damned rules about shoulds and should-nots.

When I'm responding to your post, your recognition of the word you compels you to keep reading. It's impossible for me to overuse the phrases you, your and you're in my response to you, because it makes what I'm writing clearly focused on you - especially when I'm talking to you in a gentle and positive manner.

Now if I were to call you out on your "BS" or speak negatively or critically towards you, I might want to redirect my focus to say, "People in the same position as you may tend to" as a potential deflection that lowers your sense of defensiveness (because you'd feel attacked).

But when I warm up to you, and tell you what you want to hear and need to know - that you are a highly intelligent, capable hustler who's about to get that Fastlane money, then I can use as much 2nd person YOU reference as I can muster.

So my response to you, is to use a conversational blend of 1st and 2nd person but reference the 1st person - me, myself, I... as minimal as possible and focus on injecting as much YOU-sage as possible. ;)

(Now count how many times I've saturated my response to you... with the use of "you.")

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
When I think of a "blog," I think of somebody "bloggING," meaning they are writing. So I would associate that person with a 1st person point of view more so than a 3rd person.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.