The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Setting the ideal pricing for my web application

Idea threads

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
Hi,
So, as promised in my other thread (https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/in...-autority-ask-his-endorsement-my-web-app.html) I'm asking for your opinions on my pricing plans.

To understand what's the purpose of my web application, please take a look at the landing screen mockup: View image: landingpage2

Right now I have two competitors.

Competitor A asks $15 month for unlimited albums
Competitor B asks $12 month for unlimited albums

I really think I'm creating a better solution. My solution is much simpler to use and more elegant. I think I did a great job regarding user experience, since I've been studying this particular subject for a long time.

The problem is, although I have a great application, because of my two competitors asking 'too little', I'm having problem while trying to find the ideal pricing point for my website.

I've made a quick survey with 200 photographers and my finding are:

50% create less than 5 albums per month
35% create between 5 to 10
15% create more than 10 albums/month

So based on that I decided to create 3 different plans:

Basic: Create up to 5 albums per month (ask a bit less than my competitors)
Premium: Create up to 10 albums per month (ask a bit more than my competitors)
Pro: Create unlimited albums per month (ask much more than my competitors)

Here's what I've came up:
http://postimage.org/image/lq8ltunad/

Based on the competition and considering my application will provide more value to the end user, what insights would you offer me?

Thank you.
Fellipe

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think the pricing you have is a good start. It's always easier to get cheaper, than to get more expensive. Make sure to convey the additional value you offer over the comps per each.

BTW, you might want to tweak your landing page so photogs now that what you do is FOR THEM, and IMMEDIATELY. It took me about 45 seconds to look over your page before I understood what you did.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I like the pricing and how you have come up with it.

Just an idea:

Would it be worth split testing this offer you have, and another one where in addition you offer a FREE plan,
with 1 album a month (enough for them to try it and love it, and hopefully not enough for them to stay on free plan)

mohawkdcg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 31, 2012
OC Cal
Make it clear at the top that this is a service for photographers. Also, be more specific about what the service is: I was trying to figure out who was approving what albums. I had to scroll down to realize that photographers were the websites client and then go back up to to top to realize that it is the clients of the photographers who are approving the albums. So mentally I completed the sentence "Get your Albums Approved Online" to be "Photographers get the albums you created approved by your clients online".

Even better, you should realize that "Get your Albums Approved Online" is a feature. Dig deeper to find the benefit, which is probably something like: "Photographer get paid faster by making it easy for your clients to approve your work online".

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
Thank you for your time for helping my business, I really appreciate that.

Paul Gallo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Mar 24, 2011
NYC
Just an idea:

Would it be worth split testing this offer you have, and another one where in addition you offer a FREE plan,
with 1 album a month (enough for them to try it and love it, and hopefully not enough for them to stay on free plan)

I second the split testing , that way you always have something to compare your results to,( A vs B) and over time you can constantly improve your traffic, conversion and margin

faromic

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
What MJ said about the landing page is true. It seems to be one of the most important things, otherwise they might bounce. I watched an interview about copywriting on Mixergy a while back and it had some good tips about copywriting specific to landing pages. It can include the link if anyone wants but you have to have the premium membership. Anyways, you definitely want the call to action and benefits to be clear right away.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
I second what M.J. and FastNAwesome said.

I think you did a smart thing by not engaging your competition is a race to the bottom. Higher price points imply higher value ... which you claim to deliver ... and gives you ample wiggle room to split test promotions and discounts without sacrificing margin.

GREAT JOB!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I'd like to take a look but I can't at the moment.

"This Websense category is filtered: Nudity."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.