The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling my domain name

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Hi all,

I had a guy contact me out of the blue about purchasing a domain name that I own. Ive never had this happen. He wants to know how much I want for it. Is there a general figure for something like this or a fair general range I could use? Anyone with some insight.....please feel free to give me some guidance on this. Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

geekboy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 8, 2013
Cheshire, UK
Really does depend on the domain. Could be $100 to $30 mil+

Care to share the name?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can't really say without seeing the name.

It's like asking if this *rock* has any value. Not really if it's just granite. Yes, if it's a diamond.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Try to figure out more about the guy asking if you can. If he is with some big established company you may be able to ask for more than if he is a little guy starting a company.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
vapemosphere.com
, my assumption is that the buyer is wanting to open a vape shop or vape-related website like we wanted to a year ago and wants to pick up my name for his business. I dont know anything about the buyer except that he has a business partner.

We never used it. We bought it because it was a variation of the name that we actually picked. Also, the seems to be unwilling to put out the first number and keeps trying to get me to put a number on the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
A couple hundred dollars at most. If you don't intend to use it, I suggest you sell it. I doubt you'll find someone else interested in purchasing it in the near future.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
vapemosphere.com, my assumption is that the buyer is wanting to open a vape shop or vape-related website like we wanted to a year ago and wants to pick up my name for his business. I dont know anything about the buyer except that he has a business partner.

We never used it. We bought it because it was a variation of the name that we actually picked. Also, the seems to be unwilling to put out the first number and keeps trying to get me to put a number on the table.

So it's NOT a great name, but someone wants it. You need to ask for the high end of what might not spook them.

$500.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yea, not a great name but not bad. Might be worth $250-$1000 IMO.

I edited your post and put the name in the SPOILER tag as I don't think it's indexed.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Sent an offer of $700......he kicked it over with his partner and they agreed. He is now having his attorney draw up some paperwork to send to me. Hopefully thats a good thing. Never been through this type of transaction before.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Love it. Let us know when you get the cash in the bank so we can congratulate you at that time. Until then... you never know.

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
Exactly as Vigilante said. I even had the contract signed and sent, and they backed out last minute after dragging it along for a week on their end. There went 2k for one of my best domain names. Still holding onto it now.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I informed him that I have the .net as well. He is interested in a package deal. I offered to sell for $1000. Hopefully, I will have a fatter wallet here in a couple days. I will report back.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
Also, the seems to be unwilling to put out the first number and keeps trying to get me to put a number on the table.

That's the most basic negotiating trick: always try to get the other guy to give a number first.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
That's the most basic negotiating trick: always try to get the other guy to give a number first.
Yeah, unfortunately, he knew that trick. My learning experience for today is "what will I do when someone is obviously smarter than me and onto my game"?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Bullshit.

There's a direct correlation behind who throws out the first offer and who gets the best deal.

Example:

If the guy offering to buy the site offered $100, then the price would have been closer to $300.

Since $700 was thrown out first, the price was anchored higher.

Edit: Here's a good excerpt from Wikipedia:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring#Anchoring_in_negotiations)

In negotiations, anchoring refers to the concept of setting a boundary that outlines the basic constraints for a negotiation; subsequently, the anchoring effect is the phenomenon in which we set our estimation for the true value of the item at hand.[4] In addition to the initial research conducted by Tversky and Kahneman, multiple other studies have shown that anchoring can greatly influence the estimated value of an object.[25] For instance, although negotiators can generally appraise an offer based on multiple characteristics, studies have shown that they tend to focus on only one aspect. In this way, a deliberate starting point can strongly affect the range of possible counteroffers.[11] The process of offer and counteroffer results in a mutually beneficial arrangement. However, multiple studies have shown that initial offers have a stronger influence on the outcome of negotiations than subsequent counteroffers.[26]

An example of the power of anchoring has been conducted during the Strategic Negotiation Process Workshops. During the workshop, a group of participants is divided into two sections: buyers and sellers. Each side receives identical information about the other party before going into a one-on-one negotiation. Following this exercise, both sides debrief about their experiences. The results show that where the participants anchor the negotiation had a significant effect on their success.[27][page needed]

Anchoring affects everyone, even people who are highly knowledgeable in a field. Northcraft and Neale conducted a study to measure the difference in the estimated value of a house between students and real-estate agents. In this experiment, both groups were shown a house and then given different listing prices. After making their offer, each group was then asked to discuss what factors influenced their decisions. In the follow-up interviews, the real-estate agents denied being influenced by the initial price, but the results showed that both groups were equally influenced by that anchor.[28]

Anchoring can have more subtle effects on negotiations as well. Janiszewski and Uy investigated the effects of precision of an anchor. Participants read an initial price for a beach house, then gave the price they thought it was worth. They received either a general, seemingly nonspecific anchor (e.g. $800,000) or a more precise and specific anchor (e.g. $799,800). Participants with a general anchor adjusted their estimate more than those given a precise anchor ($751,867 vs $784,671). The authors propose that this effect comes from difference in scale; in other words, the anchor affects not only the starting value, but also the starting scale. When given a general anchor of $20, people will adjust in large increments ($19, $21, etc.), but when given a more specific anchor like $19.85, people will adjust on a lower scale ($19.75, $19.95, etc.).[29] Thus, a more specific initial price will tend to result in a final price closer to the initial one.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Right, I had no idea where to anchor the price at (thanks for the technical term btw, I figured that it existed, but I had no idea what it was). Since @Vigilante anchored it at around $500 bucks, I figured that it would be worth at least that amount, probably higher without scaring the guy off, so I pushed it up to $700, and the guy accepted my offer of $1000 for both domains.....all for something that I paid $20 bucks for.

I say today was a good day. Not only that, this inspired me to resurrect another domain that I purchased a while back that I am still holding onto that could actually turn into a HUGE advertising platform.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Make sure your careful buddy... I have some weird feeling about this "guy" for some reason..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.