The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling a business

stefan.mrj

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 19, 2015
Hi friends
I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed here before, however a quick search has me thinking not.. I'm trying to gather some creative ideas in an attempt to sell a family members business, they've approached me to do this for them. This being my first time ever trying to sell a business, naturally I'm a little clueless as to how to get it out there for max exposure.
It is a local business with a number of national clients here in Australia, it is in the embroidery/clothing market, and is easily profitable with a leading reputation. The reason they are selling is due to health concerns.
Up until this point my main approach has been targeting like-minded businesses through direct mail proposing an investment opportunity and advertising on websites tailored to selling businesses.
I'm compiling a short video presentation to give visual feedback to any interested parties but have yet to send this out yet.

Does anyone have any experience in successfully selling a business they'd like to share and any other ideas on how to gain more exposure and interest from possible prospects?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Those sound like your best bets. Your family member could take it to a business broker who might have a roladex of interested buyers.

ispeaklife

Read the Millionaire Fast Lane
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 2, 2016
Around the "D", MI
Hi friends
I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed here before, however a quick search has me thinking not.. I'm trying to gather some creative ideas in an attempt to sell a family members business, they've approached me to do this for them. This being my first time ever trying to sell a business, naturally I'm a little clueless as to how to get it out there for max exposure.
It is a local business with a number of national clients here in Australia, it is in the embroidery/clothing market, and is easily profitable with a leading reputation. The reason they are selling is due to health concerns.
Up until this point my main approach has been targeting like-minded businesses through direct mail proposing an investment opportunity and advertising on websites tailored to selling businesses.
I'm compiling a short video presentation to give visual feedback to any interested parties but have yet to send this out yet.

Does anyone have any experience in successfully selling a business they'd like to share and any other ideas on how to gain more exposure and interest from possible prospects?

Last edited:

ispeaklife

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 2, 2016
Around the "D", MI
Hey there!
Just remember a Business Broker only wants there commission and not necessarily looking for the best interest of the seller. I'm not saying they aren't going to be professional, I'm saying their objective is their commission. You could look for a creative way to sell the business like finding partners who would be willing to take an equity position in the company to help you grow it.

Last edited:

Chris Kelsey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
943%
Jun 5, 2016
San Francisco
My friend just sold his company for $8m January and he works with me, I know from him personally as well as other people. There's a ton of different things involved, but before I say anything, I want to know what kind of health concerns are involved.

G

GuestUserX09

I'm curious about this.

How about a sign at the door and message on the website saying: "This business is currently for sale. Contact for more information".

If you needed the quick sale, yeah a business broker would definitely save you some time and headache I'd imagine.

Just remember a Business Broker only wants there commission and not necessarily looking for the best interest of the seller.

Although they just want commission, they would probably find the best price, in hopes to make more money for themselves right? So it's kind of a win-win?

@stefan.mrj - I would of course first though try to trade some equity for someone else to run the business. So you can at least get some checks over time instead of having to find the perfect buyer right away. Worst case scenario, chug some business books and wing it until you can figure out the other things.

ispeaklife

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Apr 2, 2016
Around the "D", MI
I agree about the equity. I don't know if it's a win win with the broker. I guess it depends on what you want as the seller.

I'm curious about this.

How about a sign at the door and message on the website saying: "This business is currently for sale. Contact for more information".

If you needed the quick sale, yeah a business broker would definitely save you some time and headache I'd imagine.

Although they just want commission, they would probably find the best price, in hopes to make more money for themselves right? So it's kind of a win-win?

@stefan.mrj - I would of course first though try to trade some equity for someone else to run the business. So you can at least get some checks over time instead of having to find the perfect buyer right away. Worst case scenario, chug some business books and wing it until you can figure out the other things.

stefan.mrj

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 19, 2015
I agree with you on hiring staff to run it, but the owners seem set on selling. They would however still be getting some income on it as they own the warehouse and the land of the business.

Interesting ideas, much appreciated.

I'm curious about this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.