The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Running.... love/hate relationship

Anything related to matters of the mind

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I always wanted to be an active runner, but it's just tough so I quit... but the past 5 days or so I been forcing myself to run for at least 500 calories (on the treadmill's monitor). I am an extremist, so I have to do it everyday or not at all. Today, I fell around at 200 calories, I stop for 20 minutes... and thought to myself, "I can either quit now or keep doing it". I went back on it, and I burn another 450 calories.. Moral of story: Don't quit for falls or injuries (4 scrapes as well, and sweat burns the wounds).

I lost 8 lbs in the past month, which is a great accomplishment for me. I really started in April, but quit for a week or so.... I'm not going to quit now, since I want my body in mint condition.

As much as I hate running, I think running is the fastest way to get to good health without much cost. I think it's more or less a life hack, if you can put 1 hour of running at an intense speed you're doing great. It burns calories, helps depression, helps you to become more health-conscious in general, and gives a youthful glow. The way I do it, run at an intense speed for 5-10 minutes, then slow down, and then get right back at it. I also listen to music, and watch the videos from my computer screen which helps makes the whole experience feel like some epic night club party in my room.

Good health is priceless in my opinion, so I am going to improve that.

Any active runners here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hmm, try an elypitical. I can read while on it and butn more than 500 cph. Plus it works more than just legs and cardio.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Nah, the elyptical is the lazy man's exercise machine. Running burns way more calories. Especial if you do interval training. I prefer running outdoors compared to the treadmill though. Treadmills can get very boring if your running at intensity that's too high to read or pay attention to a tv screen. Running outdoors with a great playlist or even an audio book is my thing. When I run outdoors I can easily hit 4 or 5 miles without even thinking about where the finish line is.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
495%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I go hardcore on it and can still multitask. It works great for me, I am in the best shape of my life. Loosing 35lbs by i now have a 34 waist, no love handles and defined arms. I weighed 225 with a 38 waist about 2 months ago.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Nice! I'm sure you've been dieting pretty good too. Dieting is just as important as exercise. You gotta keep it up though. I've seen so many people get in the best shape of their lives and revert to their old bad habits within a few months, usually never to return to that awesome shape they were in. Try not to be one of those people. As you can probably tell, I'm a major health freak. Lol. :D

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Nah, the elliptical is the lazy man's exercise machine. Running burns way more calories. Especial if you do interval training. I prefer running outdoors compared to the treadmill though. Treadmills can get very boring if your running at intensity that's too high to read or pay attention to a tv screen. Running outdoors with a great playlist or even an audio book is my thing. When I run outdoors I can easily hit 4 or 5 miles without even thinking about where the finish line is.

An elliptical is NOT a lazy man's machine. You actually have to work out, key word, WORK OUT on it, not read a magazine and glide. I MUCH prefer to run, especially outdoors but the elliptical is a great exercise machine when you need it if you use it right. I much prefer to run and use the REAL machine, MY BODY, but sometimes you have to do what you can. Diet, eating right, not depriving yourself is a big key. And HIIT training for running is great too. I have run both long distance and sprints. I love running of any kind.

Weight lifting will also help with weight loss. and keeping in shape. Being healthy is a lifestyle not a fad. That means don't deprive yourself of what you like ALL the time. Just limit when you have it and how much of it.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
An elliptical is NOT a lazy man's machine.

Blahhh. I think it is. Lol. To me, that's like trying to license a product because it's easier and less work. I like doing the hard work and that includes fitness too. I feel that running is way harder and I exert way more energy than on the elliptical. I tried breaking a sweat on that thing but have also failed to do so. I believe it's good for people with knee problems.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
The calorie burner at The Most Accurate Calories Burned Calculator, will tell you how many calories you burn doing different activities, the lose one pound calculator Lose Weight Calculator - Lose 10 pounds, lose 20 pounds! will tell you how many minutes you need to do the activities to lose one pound. We also have a new program on the site regarding high intensity interval training (there are banners on the calculator pages), which is the best way to burn body fat and convert it to muscle. Since muscle burns about 4-5x the calories as the same weight of body fat, if you can convert 5 pounds of body fat to muscle you will burn an extra 200-250 calories a day, which offsets a snack or energy drink.

Disclaimer: This is my website.....

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
If you are serious about running, I would take the time to learn the "Pose" method. This will help you run more efficiently and injury free.
This method has helped me immensely!

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
I used to LOVE running. I ran consistently for over 6 years. I had a sub 18 minute 5k time (not bad for a 230 pound guy), and I ran one marathon per week.

But now at the age of 28 I just feel like running is the least effective way to stay in shape. But I still want to get back into trail running. But that's more for mental health reasons :)

TommyBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 28, 2011
Washington, DC
You may feel that way because of boredom, running in the same environment perhaps. I know I get that way. Try to variations... get dumbells or P90x, crossfit. I think giving up exercise affects your health like giving up working affects your wallet.

Pr7de

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 18, 2012
I can highly recommend running outdoors, it is way more fun, you see all kinds of things and you will enjoy it alot. Personally I do it every morning now at 6 am for about 50 minuts while listening to audio tapes and seeing the sun rise.

It really is a great way to start your day and wake up your body! And most important, your breakfast after that run will taste even better!!! :p

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
I used to be a big runner but prefer weight lifting now to stay in shape. I can basically eat anything and keep a six pack.

I've also found there is nothing better to boost your metal state and confidence than squatting.

This guy is a big inspiration
About | Transcending Limits

joona

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 1, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I recently started running again. Been trying to run every other day for about 50minutes at a time. Doing quite well with that and slowly but surely I feel less awful during the run :)

Luckily I have lots of fresh air and good outdoor running opportunities here. I can't stand running on a treadmill.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.