The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Retailers + Distributors + Small Shops :: How Are You Getting Your New Products Out There?

contract

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 29, 2013
(** Outside of the internet and your own brand marketing efforts)

I've been digging around but can't seem to find much... Are there any books or websites with more information on the process? I'm not talking about general BusinessInsider, INC, etc articles that say to pitch to a store manager, open a trade show booth, and call it a day.. I'm looking for REAL advice/knowledge on how it works, and it's proving to be difficult to discover.

(ie. Taking a finished product and getting it into stores, retailers, finding distributors and buyers, pitching to them, sending samples, etc)

Or ones that answer questions like: (What is typical first purchase volume? 10 products, 100, 10,000?, What happens if those products don't sell in the retail store, are they returned, sold off to another company, etc?)

How do you pitch your product to these places/brands/stores/etc? Are you sending samples, if so, what happens if you're selling a higher ticket item starting out?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
gee you don't ask easy ones do ya LOL

there are multiple ways of going about it. a lot of it depends on the industry... do you have a specific place you are thinking of or industry.. that will help me give you info :)

contract

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 29, 2013
Anything you'd see in Nordstrom would be the ideal placement for my product lines.

I'm selling luxury..

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
Anything you'd see in Nordstrom would be the ideal placement for my product lines.

I'm selling luxury..
dude theres a lot of shit in nordstrom id bet (dont know never been there) you talking jewelry, clothing (kids mens womens shoes) bags briefcases....

I need an INDUSTRY not a store. luxury is an idea... not a product LOL

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
(** Outside of the internet and your own brand marketing efforts)

I've been digging around but can't seem to find much... Are there any books or websites with more information on the process? I'm not talking about general BusinessInsider, INC, etc articles that say to pitch to a store manager, open a trade show booth, and call it a day.. I'm looking for REAL advice/knowledge on how it works, and it's proving to be difficult to discover.

(ie. Taking a finished product and getting it into stores, retailers, finding distributors and buyers, pitching to them, sending samples, etc)

Or ones that answer questions like: (What is typical first purchase volume? 10 products, 100, 10,000?, What happens if those products don't sell in the retail store, are they returned, sold off to another company, etc?)

How do you pitch your product to these places/brands/stores/etc? Are you sending samples, if so, what happens if you're selling a higher ticket item starting out?

A lot of this will depend on the item. If you're in a business where samples are common, do something DIFFERENT to get the attention of the purchasing manager.

I like to build personal relationships + push the product so that it comes to the point where people are asking you for it.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Retail owner here.

Would an independent retailer sell your product? If yes, go visit them in-person. Many times owners will be there in the store. Bring a sample. If you don't have any proven traction, retailers may require you to put it on consignment - so they don't pay you for the goods until they sell them.

In order to get into a larger retailer (like Nordstroms), you have to get in touch with a Buyer. You can do this via networking, or more haphazardly by getting booths at trade shows that you think they attend. But the large stores are almost always going to want to see established sales (via independent retailers or your own site online) before taking you on.

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
When I have a good idea of what my bottom line cost will be and the product flaws are fixed, I plan on personally visiting local retailers with samples. Before this happens, in order to get the scoop on proper etiquette and what retailers will expect from me as a distributor trying to sell to them; I am going to buy a local shop owner, of whose shop I frequent, lunch and ask some questions.

Ashten

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
May 30, 2014
San Diego, CA
Ive never done the process, but I'm planning on it. I mean look at all the different brands & products in stores, especially new ones added all the time. I'd say call corporate retailers, ask them & go from there. Im sure they will shoot you in the right direction.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.